steep fast and loose :)

Nicolai Helius AM - Shock & Fork Choice

I'm currently running a Cane Creek Double Barrel on my 6 Pack. This has completely spoilt me.
    However, my new Nicolai Helius AM purchase dictates a new shock choice. 200mm i2i / 57mm stroke required.
    The CCDB is not an option on the new Nicolai as it deadens the mid-stroke, and I want to keep the weight down.

Shortlisted are the folllowing :

RS Monarch 4.2
    Fox RP23
    Fox DHX 5.0 Air

Also available is the DHX 5.0 Coil but this is 1.5lb heavier than the RP23, and I'd have to PUSH it anyway. I'm keen to re-try air shocks, especially for this build

Monarch seeems to have better adjustability , but MTBR report a host of problems and I'm no fan of RS !
    RP23 is pretty simplistic in it's function, and I've had 3 failures previously (sorted under warranty though).
    DHX 5.0 Air have a mixed bag of reports, but suit my purpose perfectly

Any experience / recommendations out there ?

Fork choice is limited to 36 TALAS RC2 or 36 Float RC2, as they have supreme damping and mid stroke control on the 2009 units. TALAS may be useful for some of our climbs in Scotland.

TIA

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I was wondering if you have the best damping / spring settings on the CCDB? What have you tried?

For air shocks, I would check out the Magura Hugin or Cane Creek Cloud Nine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The RP23 is a big improvement over the RP3. I run a pushed RP3 on my 5-Spot and although decent, it bottoms out harshly. The RP23 is on a Titus Motolite and doesn't suffer in the same way. Overall it's a pretty good shock - I recently had it Pushed, and think it offers minimal improvement. In fact it may actually be slightly worse in certain situations. Although the ML is a shorter travel bike, the suspension design is very similar to the Helius so could work well on the AM.
    I've run a DHX Air on the 5-Spot mainly because it allows you to control the bottom-out. As this is not a problem on the RP23, I'm not sure the DHX Air will offer much over the RP23 except more weight.

You selling the CCDB from the 6-Pack??

mtbr member
    simon. 1 ride on the ccdb is not enough to discount it. My first impressions are similar to yours in that it felt oversprung even at 35% sag. However it's fully adjustable so should be able to get it feeling the way you want with some tweaking.

The DHX air might be worth a look. It was a pig of a shock on the 6-pack but the AM is completely different in the way it uses it's travel. I think it may work well there. What made it bad on the 6-pack(mainly blowing through it's travel and bottoming everywhere) should make it good on the AM. It The larger air can(than the RP23) may soften up the midrange. However, why try turning into your 6-pack? half the reason you fancy changing is that it's more controlled, pedals better and handles drops better!

steep fast and loose :)
    dipper - excellent point as always - i'd like to try the dhx-air on the AM then. set yours up on the rp23 for next weekend, and that will be a starting point