Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I've always rated Mavic rims and for years I would use nothing else; but Mavic seem to have fallen a bit behind the wide rim and tyre revolution. The rims on their Crossmax wheels seem to be where thay have been concentrating their efforts but the after market offerings are not as wide, light or tubeless friendly as the competition - all in my humble opinion.

I found big tyres on 719's wanted to flop about... and then I bent the rims. There are wider and lighter rims available now which support big tyres better.

Fat & Single
    I also have Flows on my 29er and they have taken a bit of abuse so far without even the slightest sign of a dent of ding , my EX1750 (26") are dinged to fekk after 4-5 months .

Im my vast nearly 2 years experience with MTB's i would definately go stans flows over any 26" rim thats around , you have instant tubeless + a super strong , wide rim .

My 29er flows are absolutely bulletproof , even when running fully rigid .

Im 200lb and not really gentle on wheels , i have been through a few sets already and can definately say i will never buy another set of DT rims unless they sort their crap out .....DT hubs are a whole different ball game though
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've used the 519s on a Bullit and a hardtail - after 3 years and little required maintenance - on 4-7 hour days out or all the scottish centers and some mountain descents - they've been superb. I'd like a wider version though - in saying that profile and 'floppyness' hasn't ever been an issue.
    What are today's choices generally speaking for an AM bike?

My Z1 AMs have also been great to me - but I'd like a little more travel for the height of the fork and a 15-20mm QR axle. However looking at pricing from Fox and RS - wtf is going on? Its close to Boxxer pricing. Quite disappointed you can't get a top set of SC forks for less than 500 seemingly. </rant!>

steep fast and loose :)
    leon - fork prices have rocketed recently [the last 2 years].
    not sure why, but performance has definately improved.
    i've upgraded to 2010 36 FLOATS from 2009 TALAS and incredibly, there's a noticeable difference in mid stroke control alone.
    however, thanks to gravity-sports and their wonderful PX program, it doesn't cost too much to constantly upgrade

mtbr member
    rockshox and marz prices especiallly have rocketed. Fox has reduced priced @ 10% this year
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah, but it's a shame Fox haven't got an AFR suitable offering just yet!

picture update.
    New 2010 36 FLOATS , new SDG RL Ti saddle to match and new Easton CNT DH bars due imminently to match

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    TLR- Looking nice mate.
    Cable routing looks weird up front.

Hows the skiing? Plenty of fresh powder

Love the bars have a set on my FR.

stunning powder filled conditions - never have i seen as much snow in scotland. more forecast in the coming week too as well as cold temps which will hold and get better

mtbr member
    Looking good Simon. I'm still not a huge fan of white forks but they do look good against a black frame.

Paul - aesthetically, it's pretty gash, but the FLOATS are a league ahead of the TALAS that were on previously.
    i'm going to rid the stack height too once my new bars arrive allowing improved climbing and more direct steering input.
    the bile is really working well now - taughter and more compliant with more feedback.
    CCDB is a bit too harsh as i've wound right up the preload.
    will need some dry fast trails to get 'her' dialled right in again - perhaps GT with the crew in a months time or so ?
    we have a cottage in Traqhair booked for the 1st week in May, so it may have dried up by then

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    TLR - have you tried the Easton bars yet? The backwards sweep on RF Diabolus bars were an 'upgrade' to my previous EA50's - yet have resulted in a strained wrist - I can only presume down to the different sweep angle. I have heard of people saying that the RF bars weren't suited to them for similar reasons. Thinking of returning to the EA50s or buying their better set.
    Last edited by _leon_; 03-01-2010 at 07:38 AM.

leon - the bars are the same as the one's currently fitted - just 2010 versions in black and white.
    they're great wide [711mm] bars with 9 deg sweep and 40mm rise.
    i have a 2009 pair now for sale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    Here you go TLR - a weight weenie tastic 12.6kg (27.8lbs in old money)

Perfect spec for tiptoe-ing round the trails.

NOTE - This is not mine. Picture stolen from another forum.

That´s mine!
    Since that picture there has been changes. Now I have Avid Elixir cr -brakes and new Middleburn -cranks coming soon.
    Couple pics from todays ride...

http://www.teamvelocycling.com/pyori..._helius_am.htm
    Last edited by ShamusWave; 03-06-2010 at 05:33 AM.

more snow than Glenshee today
    we're entering Spring...........Eventually !

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nice pics and nice BIKE !

Less snow still in Åbo than in Helsinki
    ...and less broken bridges here....

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    TLR's what happened to oh i hate white forks and white bike bits and all that bsh1t you spout?
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

Looks great btw tho

Quote Originally Posted by derekr
    Looks great btw tho

i think it looks gash, but the forks are stunning mid-stroke and now i have the CCDB correctly set, the whole thing flies.
    it took a very long time to get dialled in and i'm desperate for my week on buff dry trails in glentress in 7 weeks time

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    It took me almost 4 months to complete the bike but now it is done and I love the looks of it. I am off to Greece on Wednesday and I will have one month of holidays to hammer it down under excellent weather (as my brother says
    Can anyone reconfirm the right travel position for the shock? I have put in the upper hole for 160mm of travel; is that correct?

Here's the spec:

Frame:Helius AM Large, Ano Bronze and ano black, Rear 12mm Through axle and ISCG-H/S mounts
    Fork: 2010 RockShox Lyrik Coil U-turn 115-160mm
    Shock: Cane Creek Double Barrel, 200 x 50mm
    Brakes: Hope Tech M4, 203(f) 183(r) floating rotors, braided hoses
    Cranks and BB: XTR (172.5mm crankarm)
    Shifters: X.O.
    Front deraileur: XTR
    Rear deraileur: X.O. Nugget Gold, medium cage.
    Pedals: C.B. Candy SL.
    Stem: V1 AM
    Riser: V1 AM
    Seatpost: i950
    Saddle: Fizik Gobi XM
    Cassette: SRAM 990 11-32 gold
    Chain: KMC
    Headset: Chris King
    Wheels: Industry Nine with stan's ZTR-flow
    Tyres: High Roller 2.35 (f), Ignitor 2.35 (r)

Weight: 15.1 kgs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-img_0020.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-img_0014.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-img_0015.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-img_0018.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

mtbr member
    Fantastic looking AM Mario. A month in Greece! I'm not jealous at all.... ... I'm not a fan of Maxxis Lust tyres though as the sidewalls are very thin and I've seen a few split on rocky trails. Probably the only thing I'd change.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the comments guys Can someone confirm that the the 160mm hole is the upper one?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mario83
    Thanks for the comments guys Can someone confirm that the the 160mm hole is the upper one?
    Most travel will be upper hole on the link.You are correct

mtbr member
    Opps, sorry. I meant to tell you that as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    OK great. Thanks again!

mario83 - i hate to tell you but your CCDB is a 57mm stroke shock unless you have the 50mm spacer fitted ?
    if not, the @ 57mm stroke shock in the top hole you will have circa 174mm of travel

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    mario83 - i hate to tell you but your CCDB is a 57mm stroke shock unless you have the 50mm spacer fitted ?
    if not, the @ 57mm stroke shock in the top hole you will have circa 174mm of travel

I ordered the 50mm stroke so that's strange. How can you surely tell?
    Anyhow, if that's the case it's not a disaster; I wasn't sure about the stroke in the first place
    I will have to check that tommorow.

cane creek don't manufacture a 50mm stroke DB in 200mm i2i, only 57mm.
    if you are unconvinced, remove the spring and measure i2i before and after full compression.
    it'll be 143mm after compressing, hence 57mm of stroke.

i run my 200x57 CCDB in the 2nd hole down with 30% sag - works perfectly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    cane creek don't manufacture a 50mm stroke DB in 200mm i2i, only 57mm.
    if you are unconvinced, remove the spring and measure i2i before and after full compression.
    it'll be 143mm after compressing, hence 57mm of stroke.

i run my 200x57 CCDB in the 2nd hole down with 30% sag - works perfectly.
    These are the lengths listed in CN's website:
    165 x 38mm (6.5" x 1.5"), 171 x 44mm (6.75" x 1.75"), 190 x 50mm (7.5" x 2.0"), 200 x 50mm (7.87" x 2.0"), 200 x 57mm (7.87" x 2.25"), 215 x 63mm (8.5" x 2.5"), 222 x 63mm (8.75" x 2.5"), 222 x 70mm (8.75" x 2.75"), 230 x 70mm (9" x 2.75"), 240 x 76mm (9.5" x 3.0"), 267 x 90mm (10.5" x 3.5")

??

mtbr member
    mario
    it's a 51 you have. you can see the spacer on the end of the shaft under the collar
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    mario
    it's a 51 you have. you can see the spacer on the end of the shaft under the collar

I agree with dipper,definetely has the travel reducer fitted,so 51mm it is

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    OK, so does that mean it's the correct one or what? (160 mm in the upper hole)?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mario83
    OK, so does that mean it's the correct one or what? (160 mm in the upper hole)?

You have the correct one.Get on it and ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Nice bike Mario! Looks pretty much exactly like mine

Can you push your KS post all the way down the seattube? Or does something interfere?

I would love a picture of a fully dropps post as far down as possible in the seattube, if that's not to much of a problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikael_nr1
    Nice bike Mario! Looks pretty much exactly like mine

Can you push your KS post all the way down the seattube? Or does something interfere?

I would love a picture of a fully dropps post as far down as possible in the seattube, if that's not to much of a problem.
    I haven't tried pushing it all the way down, I haven't ridden the bike yet. Why are you asking, is there a specific issue with that?
    I will try to post a picture next week maybe, because the bike is now traveling to Greece and I will be there on Thursday.

"Its All Good"
    Mario, looks sweet, thrash that puppy and go hard on her.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    May 2009
    @mario83 - nice bike!

mikael_nr1 asked about KS seatpost and I wondered the same - seat seems to be in right height in your pic, but your seatpost is in lowest position. When you push trigger under seat, it will rise 12,5 cm and then it`s REALLY high - do you have so looong legs

But seriously - be careful with that seatpost mount - it really seems that there`s only few cm`s of seatpost tube inside seattube.... You have to push post deeper to seattube or find out longer post.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Mario: I am asking because I want to know how deep it will fit, I can't push my Thomson 410mm post all the way down and since I think of buying the KS post in 385mm lenght i really would like to see just how far down the seattube it goes.

mtbr member
    Clasic looking AM mario. Very nice.

Why did you choose the 51mm stroke DB?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    As I told you I haven't ridden the bike yet. The seatpost was put like that offhand for me to see the bike completed before we pack it up and send it to Greece. When I ride it for the first time (hopefully on Sunday) I will give you some feedback about this, although, obviously, it will have to be put lower than it is now.
    Also, the tyres should be the other way round...

@rpm I chose the 51mm stroke because from what I 've read and been told it's the official setting for the AM and it offers a more consistent feeling than the 57 mm stroke. But I wouldn't need the extra travel anyway so it wasn't a hard choice for me. I just want to put it in the upper hole with the maximum travel and leave it there, if that makes sense.

mtbr member
    Slight update.

Lyriks repaired and fitted with 2010 2 step internals, great service from Fisher. I bent my old saddle, so upgraded to a WTB rocket TI in gash white and red. Seems to score well in both weight and comfort.
    Also fitted some Easton DH cnt bars. Absolutely love the width but the jury is still out on the rise. I may swap them for some V1 low rise.
    I cant wait for the fun times of the summer to come.

Nicolai
    Frame:Helius AM custom frame, fire dept red and ano black, Rear 12mm Through axle arm was converted to Rohloff Drop out, special guides.
    Fork: 2009 DT swiss EXC150mm 20mm thru axle
    Shock: DT swiss XM200, 200 x 57mm
    Brakes: Magura Marta SL SIlver
    Cranks and BB: Truvative Noir Redwin, middleburn 32T red chainring, Blackspire NSX Bashring
    Shifters: Rohloff Grip Shifter
    Pedals:NS Aerial Pro, Ti colour
    Stem: Thomson 70mm
    Riser: EA70 WHite low rise 2010
    Seatpost: EC90
    Chain: SRAM
    Headset: Blackspire deepcup
    Wheels:Hope pro 2 front, rohloff speedhub with white stan's ZTR-flow on blue pillar racing Ti SPokes.
    Tyres:Mountainking 2.4 black chilli on tubless conversion

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi guys,

I received my AM on Thursday so here's a few pictures and a few comments:
    My first impressions are simply great, I cannot believe there is a bike that rides like that; I wasn't expecting to be so enthusiastic about it straight from my first ride. The frame oozes quality and this definitely translates into the way it rides. The driving position is also excellent and overall the AM feels indestructible (at least for the stuff I do) and unstoppable. It it is by far the best bike I 've ever tried in my short experience and I suspect I will never find its limits; at least it will help me find mine. I can't imagine how it will be when we really get to know each other In any case I am already in love

The standard lyrik u-turn is very smooth and I am happy with it although I haven't had any previous experience with coil forks; for the rides we do here in Greece I use both the travel adjustment and the locking ability so it suits me perfectly.

The DB is in one word magic: I only tweaked the low speed compression and the low speed rebound with just one click increment clockwise from the stock settings and I now have virtually no bobbing while pedaling hard uphill and yet superb active behaviour during the descent. I believe this shock really is a must for the AM.

The i950 seems very sturdy and it has an excellent feel and minimal play in comparison to the joplin; another must for an all mountain set up and for technical terrains IMO.

One last thing: I am very happy that I didn't go for the AC. The AM is perfect for what I ride here in Greece and it pedals fantastically. After a couple of rides I can hardly notice the weight penalty of an actual all mountain setup (15.3 kgs). Today's ride was a 2.30 hrs ascent with 1 hour descent through fireroads: from 700 meters we climbed up to 1600 and then back down.

So, some pictures from sunny Greece. The routes are typical cross country (necessary to improve fitness after 3 months in Exeter and no riding and ideal to get used to the new riding position of the AM), but the scenery is beautiful and just 40 mins from my home which is next to the beach

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-dscf2330.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-dscf2336.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-dscf2339.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-dscf2343.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-dscf2347.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-dscf2359.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-dscf2363.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-dscf2365.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-dscf2366.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-dscf2371.jpg  

great pics but those bars seem SUPERWIDE !
    are they cowhorns from 1978 ?

keep the stoke flowing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    V1 745mm. Improved my poor handling instantly...

summer [dry] condition upgrades.....spot the differences

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You're running slicks?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Black frame and white forks.No NO NO

Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Black frame and white forks.No NO NO
    eh ? are you proposing form over function ?
    asthetics aren't in my world , pure performance for me i'm afraid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    eh ? are you proposing form over function ?
    asthetics aren't in my world , pure performance for me i'm afraid.

I was taking the p#ss. My Fr is exactly the same

Pure performance and you brought Fox

fox - of course.
    the most sublime damping system currently available on a 160mm fork..........
    don't tell me..........you've bought rock shox.........

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    [QUOTE=The_Lecht_Rocks]fox - of course.
    the most sublime damping system currently available on a 160mm fork..........
    don't tell me..........you've bought rock shox.........

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahhahha[/QUOTE

I always buy Rockshox. Running the 2010 Lyrik coil Dh 170mm coils.And i have a set of Revelations sat here waiting for me to order a new frame.

Owned several sets of Fox's and didnt like any of them,Always sold them and went back to The best...Rockshox

160mm forks are so last year all the skilled riders use 170mm now.How much of the travel can you get 1/2 or 3/4.

158mm of super plush travel available to me.
    can't squeeze the last 2mm.
    how long before your's start blowing seals / cartridges / oil ?

mwahahahahahahahaahahah......real riders ride fox.
    e-riders ride RS.

and i have no need for 170mm of travel - i live in NE Scotland and there's few real mountains here on my doorstep..............LOL

where do you live norco ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    158mm of super plush travel available to me.
    can't squeeze the last 2mm.
    how long before your's start blowing seals / cartridges / oil ?

mwahahahahahahahaahahah......real riders ride fox.
    e-riders ride RS.

I thought there motto was" Fox for c#cks"

If they were going to blow out oil they would have done it by now.

Has your stanchions worn yet?

no - my stanchions are in perfect condition as i follow the 15 hour service interval.
    10 minutes to keep the seals and washers cleansed is a small price to pay for pure performance

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    and i have no need for 170mm of travel - i live in NE Scotland and there's few real mountains here on my doorstep..............LOL

where do you live norco ?

Sunny Cornwall....Its like Whistler but warmer

Cornwall ?

170mm of travel.....

Nicolai ?

Am I missing something ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    no - my stanchions are in perfect condition as i follow the 15 hour service interval.
    10 minutes to keep the seals and washers cleansed is a small price to pay for pure performance

Once a year then

Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Once a year then
    aye - you've sussed my e-riding to the fore..........

still failing to see the whistler connection - clown's feet is similar to newquay high street and A-Line is a jaunt along fistral ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    aye - you've sussed my e-riding to the fore..........

still failing to see the whistler connection - clown's feet is similar to newquay high street and A-Line is a jaunt along fistral ?

Most of the time i dont need 170mm but i travel to some places that do.I brought this bike as a do it all but now decided to buy a dedicated trail/xc.

Cornwall and Whistler,Absolutely no connection,other than i have been to both.The summer weather is similar.....

Crack addict is more like Newquay on a Saturday night.I live about 30 minutes from Newquay and i dont go there unless its for a stag night.

mtbr member
    Mario awesome pics - get them in the April riding section - looks like you have some awesome terrain there? Is there much singletrack?
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Mannin.

160mm of travel. (RS Lyriks'08 coil).

Nicolai.

Yup, you are. It really doesn't matter what kit you put on your bike as long as you are happy with it and enjoy the ride. Fact.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    Mario awesome pics - get them in the April riding section - looks like you have some awesome terrain there? Is there much singletrack?
    The Greek terrain is mostly alpine, which means very high altitude and rocky mountains. My home town is surrounded by big mountains (and the Greek sea of course) which don't have much singletrack (maybe 25% of what we do). The routine is long fireroads and agricultural trails uphill, that lead to technical rocky descents and some singletrack. But generally speaking we can find any type of terrain if we want because the mountainous routes are endless For example, I know that there are several very long technical singletracks near Athens (2hours from my home) but I have never visited them. Planning to go there next week though.
    Here are a few more pictures from older rides so to have an idea. They are from 5 different mountains all within an hour from my home, enjoy:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-010.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-p1000049.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-p1000095.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-p1000115.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-p1000128.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-p1000183.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-p1000156.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-p1000211.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-pb082061.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My new Helius AM frame with AFR downtube for 180mm Forks and 216mm shocklever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-img_1944.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-img_1959.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-img_1955.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-img_1949.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-img_1919.jpg  

mtbr member
    wow that is bad ass - same weight as my FR pretty much and that could run 180's. Nice mix between the 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thats nice! how long till its built up?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    A few days, may end of next week. Setup will be with Totem galvanized an DHX5 w. titanium coil.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    awesome stuff

@dreamflow - why not just get the AFR ?
    i'm confused with an AM / AFR hybrid ????

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Why should i buy a AFR?

Its my second Helius AM. The first was with 160mm fork.

The AM have great qualities for long rides and uphill that i dont want to miss.
    It will be well balanced with 173/180mm travel and just perfect for me. The AFR its to much bikebike for my requirements.

Just wait a few months, than 180mm forks will be standard for enduro/lightfreeride bikes (new fox 180 talas)

mtbr member
    whats forks are you fitting?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    2010 Totem DH galvanized, i have both partkits for soloair and 2-step.

In autum maybe the new fox to save some weight.

Dreamflow: Very nice like it alot!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Interesting that the AFR downtube only adds 142g. I can see this going the same way as the old FR did, starting off being intended for 160mm forks and ending up being warrantied for 180mm forks and the next thing you know the AM is the new AFR and the AFR is the new Ion.....
    Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    @derekr: thanks

mtbr member

Seriously lush

Looking forward to seeing how your going to built that up without overdoing the colour... or perhaps it's the psyco crazy euro acid house trip look your going for

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    Looking forward to seeing how your going to built that up without overdoing the colour... or perhaps it's the psyco crazy euro acid house trip look your going for
    Ill build it up with black and silver parts, i dont like to much anodized parts and "christmas tree bikes".

mtbr member
    * Rider height - 6' 4", weight - not a lot, ride style - proffessional crasher

* Frame, Size, & Color: Large frame with custom ST. 30.9 and 10mm taller. sulpher yellow glossy. black decals
    * Fork: 2010 RS Lyric 170 DH
    * Shock, i2i, stroke 216X63 RP23 Boost valve
    * Brakes: Tech V2's
    * Cranks: Hammershmidt
    * Shifters:XO
    * Front Derailleur:N/A
    * Rear Derailleur: XT followed by X9 short cage
    * Pedals: Easton flatboys
    * Stem: sunline AM
    * Handlebar: TBC -sunline V1 or easton CNT
    * Seatpost: sunline V1
    * Saddle: SDG
    * Bottom Bracket: HS
    * Cassette: XT
    * Chain: XT
    * Headset: Hope
    * Grips: lockons
    * Tires: maxxis
    * Wheels: Hope Pro3 AM4's DT 5.1
    * Cables: shimano
    * Misc:
    * Overall Weight: no idea. Hopefully less than 35lb

Pics to follow over next few days
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

i'd like a demo on the boost valved 216x63 Dipper.....this weekend ?

mtbr member
    Just remind me re fork travel/Warranty?

Is the 2010 am not warranted over 160, but the 08 used to be up to 170!?

mtbr member
    Mine ... finish :

>>> More Clowns on more bikes ... more often !
    >>> PTDR (Pump Track Digger and Rider)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thats very nice.Congratulations on the new bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Oxygum: Congrats That's a beauty.
    I 'm thinking of replacing my XTR cranksets with a HS but I waiting for its 2nd generation maybe(?) Do you think it's a must for the AM?
    I also want to convert my i950 lever version to remote but I don't like the mess with the cables. How did you route the GD cable?

mtbr member
    Very tastefully done.

"Its All Good"
    2 great looking AM's. Enjoy, very Hawt machines....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

loving my fast summer set-up .....

hard hitting drift-tastic and a week in Glentress coming up on Saturday :

with the hardtail for epic distance / xc work as well as some fun on the 'shore......

edited for the pedants.......
    Last edited by The_Lecht_Rocks; 04-26-2010 at 10:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    pedant satisfied!
    Last edited by Garry AM; 04-26-2010 at 11:20 PM.

mtbr member
    +1

Gary, slap some recent pictures of your steed up!

TLR what's up with your DT stickers, looks odd.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Okay RPM will do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by # Oxygum #
    Mine ... finish :

looks very nice. love the chromag bits. that orange looks awesome.

mtbr member
    * Rider height, weight, ride style e.g XC, endurance,trail, hucker etc
    5 foot 11", 13.5 stone, all mountain

* Frame: Size, & Color: medium, black, Maxle rear & 1point5 headtube
    * Fork: 2010 36 Float RC2 1point5
    * Shock, i2i, stroke: 215X63 Float R
    * Brakes: Hope 203 Moto V2's
    * Cranks: Truvativ HammerSchmidt
    * Shifters:Sram X9 and XT
    * Front Derailleur: NA
    * Rear Derailleur: XT
    * Pedals: XTR SPD
    * Stem: 1point5 60mm Gravity Lite
    * Handlebar: Sunline V1 19mm x 745mm
    * Seatpost: SDG I-Beam, Hope clamp
    * Saddle: SDG Bel Air
    * Bottom Bracket: Truvativ HammerSchmidt
    * Cassette: XT 11-34 9spd
    * Chain: Yes
    * Headset: Acros 1point5
    * Grips: Superstar lock ons
    * Front Tire: shwalbe 2.5 Big Bettie Evolution - tubeless
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: No Tubes Flow
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Hope Hoops Pro 2
    * Rear Tire: Schwalbe 2.5 Big Bettie Evolution - tubeless
    * Rear Rim: mavic No Tubes Flow
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: Hope Hoops Pro 2 Maxle
    * Cables: yes
    * Misc:
    * Overall Weight:33lb

Looking sweet Brian

@thepimp - ride report ?
    much pedal strike ?

mtbr member
    No pedal strike at all; but it has only been my first two rides and I reckon I have the air pressure a wee bit high yet. Minor tweaking on the go such as pressures and saddle position but so far I've ridden one of the hardest routes I know and nailed both the ups and the downs. I'm very impressed: the simple float r rear shock feels fine which either means its good or I don't currently have the sensitivity to know any better. The hammerschmidt is is great apart from the chain-slap... but once you change the way you throw down the hammer things improve. So far I love it... not as stiff or bottomless as the nukey, but almost a whole singlespeed lighter and hence more flickable. Brilliantly FUN!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My new AM

Travel 171/180mm (AFR Downtube)
    Fox Talas 180 RC2 2011
    DHX 5 216mm

Weight 14,89 kg / 32,8 lb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-img_2159.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-img_2162.jpg  

mtbr member
    Holy shizzle - thats a sexy machine

171/180mm / coil rear end a dropper and only 33lbs - how much do those new talas forks weigh?

i notice mbuk have a am on long term test - shall be interesting to hear what they say.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    32.8lbs blimey are the tyres Helium filled.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4