Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33
Results 801 to 817 of 817
  1. #801
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,457
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972 View Post
    It's an AM. Apart from being full custom geometry the XFusion fork is quite long. At 170mm full extension it's 565mm axle to crown so at 150mm its 545mm which is the referring measurement I built the frame around.
    I keep thinking I need to order a different front shock mount to try - move it forward few mm. Should lower BB down to +10, slacken half a degree, and run in 158mm mode.. Should pretty much match your geometry (but with a 170mm Lyrik DH set with ZS Orbit E)

  2. #802
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    119
    Hi Axe,
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I keep thinking I need to order a different front shock mount to try - move it forward few mm. Should lower BB down to +10, slacken half a degree, and run in 158mm mode.. Should pretty much match your geometry (but with a 170mm Lyrik DH set with ZS Orbit E)
    Mine's a recent AM too, I'd like to drop the BB a bit from the standard 17.5mm rise, just like you. I've already got the head at 65 (angleset @ -1.5) with a 170 fork (IdylleSC).
    You might need an offset shock bushing (-1.5mm perhaps) as well as the "adjusted" (13?) shock mount as there are only 2 relevant plate options:
    Nicolai write:
    "There are two offset shock mounts that might be interesting for you.
    The -3mm mounts cause about -0,5 head angle and 6mm bb drop. With these you can probably still run 171mm travel.
    The other option would be the -7mm mounts. These would bring down your bb about 13mm and slacken your HA 1,1. I think that would be too extreme and you would definitly not be able to use max travel."
    hope it helps
    neil

  3. #803
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    119
    Hi Geetee
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972 View Post
    Attachment 772117

    Frame, Size, & Color: Tailored geometry: 66 HA, 73.5 SA, +10mm BB drop, 595mm TT, 419mm reach, 430mm ST, zero stack tapered HT, Green Anodized frame, white levers with green caps and white caps on stays, Reverb stealth routing, ISCG03, 12mm rear axle, 'GeeTee' stamped on the chainstay

    * Overall Weight: 30lb 10ozs
    belting build, I like the green too.
    I'd imagine 0.5 degrees off the head makes a little difference, but would you say the 7.5mm lower BB over a standard AM makes a significant difference in feel / stability? Sense says it would, but do you really feel it?
    Do you get a lot of pedal strikes?
    It's pretty what I am aiming for with my AM (170 Idylle SC fork, -1.5 angleset) with adjusted (-3) shock plates and maybe a 1.5 mm offset front shock bush..

  4. #804
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by mudfish801 View Post
    Hi Geetee

    belting build, I like the green too.
    I'd imagine 0.5 degrees off the head makes a little difference, but would you say the 7.5mm lower BB over a standard AM makes a significant difference in feel / stability? Sense says it would, but do you really feel it?
    Do you get a lot of pedal strikes?
    It's pretty what I am aiming for with my AM (170 Idylle SC fork, -1.5 angleset) with adjusted (-3) shock plates and maybe a 1.5 mm offset front shock bush..
    I definitely like the lower BB and yes I believe I can feel the effect ot it. It's all the sum of its parts really, but the most noticeable difference is the sizing. It just feels the right size. On the few rides I've done with Strava I've seen a marked increase in speed over most of my local segments.

  5. #805
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972 View Post
    I definitely like the lower BB and yes I believe I can feel the effect ot it. It's all the sum of its parts really, but the most noticeable difference is the sizing. It just feels the right size. On the few rides I've done with Strava I've seen a marked increase in speed over most of my local segments.
    Thanks for that, looks like I am going the right way then. I hoped so as Nic seem to have dropped the BB to +10 on the ION 16. Enjoy it, I bet you thought long and hard about that geo and spec, looks great too.

    Interesting thoughts on geo here too, longer bikes might be coming back "in". DirtTV: Chris “Mojo” Porter and Steve “Dirt” Jones talk bikes

    Porter's point that the popularity of 29ers for big guys is due to those being the only bikes big enough to fit them gets you thinking. As Jones bike is a 29 though his BB is a fair bit further forward, maybe that's what he's liking.

    That Foxy XR is very very long, longer than a size L Summum!

    Neil

  6. #806
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539
    Update Time



    Frame, Size, & Color: 2010 Helius AM, Medium, 215x63 shock, 1.5 HT, Black Anodized frame, ISCG03 Hammerschmitd but no front front mech cable guide, 12mm rear axle.
    * Fork: 2010 1.5 steerer Fox 36 with Avalanche Downhill Racing Speed Sensitive Damping Open Bath Cartridge Modification
    * Shock, i2i, stroke: 216mmx63mm Fox DHX 4.0 Air with Avalanche Downhill Racing Speed Sensitive Damping Modification
    * Brakes: Formula The One 180 F and 160 R
    * Cranks: XTR 175mm
    * Shifter: XT
    * Front Derailleur: Nah
    * Rear Derailleur: Saint 9-speed short cage Mech
    * Pedals: XTR SPD or DMR Vault
    * Stem: Thomson 1.5 45mm
    * Handlebar: Easton Havoc Carbon 740mm
    * Seatpost: Reverb
    * Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Ti 135g
    * Bottom Bracket: Hope SS
    * Cassette: XT 11-34 9speed
    * Chain: SRAM
    * Headset: Chris King 1.5
    * Grips: YETI Lockon
    * Front Tire: Continental Rubber Queen 2.2
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: Light-Bicycle Wider Carbon with DT Revolution 32 spokes
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Hope Pro2 Evo 20mm
    * Rear Tire: Continental Baron 2.3
    * Rear Rim: Light-Bicycle Wider Carbon with DT Revolution 32 spokes
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: Hope Pro2 Evo 12mm axle
    * Cables: Yes
    * Misc: Straightline Silent Guide 32t with Renthal 32t Chainring
    * Overall Weight: 30lb 5ozs

    Avalanche goodies


  7. #807
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    9
    Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-8733079922_24468c0de2_z.jpg

    2012/13ish Helius AM, Large, 1.5 HT, 135/12mm rear axle, Jagermeister / Gloss White frame, titanium anodised extra love
    Rider height: 6'1"
    * Fork: (pictured) 2009 RS Revelation 150mm Blackbox - from when they had a proper 20mm axle (alternative) BOS Deville 160mm
    * Shock, i2i, stroke: Pushed 216mmx63mm Fox Float R
    * Brakes: Formula The One 180 F/R
    * Cranks: XTR 175mm 22-36-bash
    * Shifter: 9sp X0 Gripshift
    * Front Derailleur: SLX 2-ring
    * Rear Derailleur: Sram X9 mid
    * Pedals: Some kind of SPDs
    * Stem: Easton Havok 50mm
    * Handlebar: Sunline 19mm rise / 745mm width
    * Seatpost: whatever
    * Seat QR: Hope
    * Saddle: SDG Bel Air
    * Bottom Bracket: Shimano whatever
    * Cassette: XT or SLX 11-34 9speed
    * Chain: SRAM
    * Headset: Hope 1.5 reduced to 1 1/8
    * Grips: Cut down Bontrager lock-on to work with gripshift
    * Front Tire: Maxxis Swamp Thing 2.35 42a single ply
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: Mavic 719D / DT Swiss Comp
    * Front Hub: DT Swiss 240s 20mm
    * Rear Tire: Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35 60a dual ply
    * Rear Rim: Mavic 719D / DT Swiss Comp
    * Rear Hub: DT Swiss 240s 135/12mm
    * Cables: Yes
    * Misc: zip tie chainguide with rockshox travel spacer 'roller'
    * Overall Weight: probably 32-33lbs give or take

    The bike goes well whether set up 150/146 or 160/146 or 160/171

  8. #808
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539
    My AM now goes up to ELEVEN!





    Loving it

  9. #809
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    66
    Update time:

    * Fork: Rock Shox Lyrik 2step air tapered > Changed to Solo Air And mission control damping
    * Shock, i2i, stroke: Fox DHX air > RS Monarch Plus
    * Brakes: Hope M4
    * Cranks: XT
    * Shifters: XT - race match makers
    * Front Derailleur: SLX
    * Rear Derailleur: XT > XTR
    * Pedals: Shimano > XTR trail
    * Stem: Syncros > Easton
    * Handlebar: Syncros > Easton carbon
    * Seatpost: Roox > KS
    * Saddle: Syncros > SLR
    * Bottom Bracket: XT
    * Cassette: XT
    * Chain: XTR
    * Headset: Reset tapered > Works
    * Grips: Syncros
    * Front Tire: Maxxis Minion > Hans Dampf
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: Flow rims wit sapim spokes
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Hope Pro 2 EVO
    * Rear Tire:Maxxis Minnion > Hans Dampf
    * Rear Rim: Flow rims with Sapim spokes
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: Hope Pro 2 EVO
    * Cables: Jagwire
    * Misc:
    * Overall Weight: 15.2 kg (want te reach < 15kg)

    Was kind of disappointed by the quality of the Reset Headset. The bearrings give up fairly quick and everytime you remove the fork the bearing sticks to the crown race which is appereantly normal for Reset. Changed it for a Works to slacken the headangle a little bit more. It is now at about 66 degrees measured with a phone app.
    Also Solo AIR fork is performing much better than the dual air which I never used anyway. At the same time I changed the IS damping unit by a mission control cartridge and lifted travel to 170 mm.

    For me this bike is not far away from the perfect trailripper.

    Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-p4pb9879514.jpg

  10. #810
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by K2-man View Post
    Update time:

    * Misc:
    * Overall Weight: 15.2 kg (want te reach < 15kg)

    For me this bike is not far away from the perfect trailripper.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p4pb9879514.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	198.1 KB 
ID:	818808
    How about carbon seat rails
    No tubes or less fluid in the tyres
    180 front disc

    It does look like a real nice trailbike tho

    Be good to hear feedback on shock comparision too

    Thanks
    Interesting post

  11. #811
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    53
    ready to go:
    - Marzocchi 55 micro switch TA
    - DSP rear shox with TI spring
    - ZTR_Flow_Wheelset + Kenda_Nevegal 2.35 UST
    - XT/SLX groupset
    - Sixpack stem_bar_seatpost
    - old XT 4calipers breakset
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-2013-06-15-078.jpg  

    Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-2013-10-12-354.jpg  

    Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-2013-10-12-355.jpg  

    Last edited by pescecane; 10-14-2013 at 06:34 AM.

  12. #812
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539
    Another update.



    Frame, Size, & Color: 2010 Helius AM, Medium, 215x63 shock, 1.5 HT, Black Anodized frame, ISCG03 Hammerschmitd but no front front mech cable guide, 12mm rear axle.
    * Fork: 2010 1.5 steerer Marzocchi 55 RC3-Ti with Avalanche Downhill Racing Speed Sensitive Damping Open Bath Cartridge Modification
    * Shock, i2i, stroke: 216mmx63mm Fox DHX 4.0 Air with Avalanche Downhill Racing Speed Sensitive Damping Modification
    * Brakes: Formula The One 180 F and 160 R
    * Cranks: SRAM XX1
    * Shifter: SRAM XX1
    * Front Derailleur: Nah
    * Rear Derailleur: SRAM XX1
    * Pedals: XTR SPD or DMR Vault
    * Stem: Thomson 1.5 45mm
    * Handlebar: Easton Havoc Carbon 740mm
    * Seatpost: Reverb
    * Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Ti 135g
    * Bottom Bracket: Hope SS
    * Cassette: SRAM XX1 10-42 11speed
    * Chain: SRAM
    * Headset: Chris King 1.5
    * Grips: YETI Lockon
    * Front Tire: Continental Rubber Queen 2.4
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: Light-Bicycle Wider Carbon with DT Revolution 32 spokes
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Hope Pro2 Evo 20mm
    * Rear Tire: Continental Rubber Queen 2.4
    * Rear Rim: Light-Bicycle Wider Carbon with DT Revolution 32 spokes
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: Hope Pro2 Evo 12mm axle
    * Cables: Yes
    * Overall Weight: 29lb 5ozs

    This is how the bike was for the Trans-Savoie race in August 2013.

    On the first day I damaged the rear carbon rim but it held together for the rest of the week (Light-Bicycle have been excellent and supplied a warranty replacement rim).



    Gel wrapper used to stop the rim damaging the tyre sidewall.

    On day two I snapped the Hope seatpost QR at the top of the hill before the first stage... zip ties saved the day!

    Those were my only bike issues over the week and my trusty three year old Helius AM performed brilliantly.


  13. #813
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    119
    Guys
    I have a lovely AM I got from Dipper, thanks fir that mate. I am planning to test a 650b front wheel in my Deville 160/26 fork. Loamranger told me the 650 HD 2.35 / Flow rim will fit with 6mm to spare.
    To balance it up a but I've ben thinking Conti 2.4 RQ/TK on the back. But is it really tight n the AM? I've used a Spesh Clutch 2.3 fine but maybe the RQ 2.4 is even bigger?
    I saw that Nicolai were using the RQ on the 650 in the ION 650 v 25 video. Strangely the Mountain King on the 26 tho. I see that Mountain King 2.4 Race sure is light but is it a good "Summer" (tubeless kit) all rounder for the UK (Brighton)
    Where does a chap with not much spare cash get those Contis at a good price? Any tips welcome
    Thanks
    Neil

  14. #814
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,457

    Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database

    Quote Originally Posted by mudfish801 View Post
    Guys
    I have a lovely AM I got from Dipper, thanks fir that mate. I am planning to test a 650b front wheel in my Deville 160/26 fork. Loamranger told me the 650 HD 2.35 / Flow rim will fit with 6mm to spare.
    To balance it up a but I've ben thinking Conti 2.4 RQ/TK on the back. But is it really tight n the AM? I've used a Spesh Clutch 2.3 fine but maybe the RQ 2.4 is even bigger?
    I saw that Nicolai were using the RQ on the 650 in the ION 650 v 25 video. Strangely the Mountain King on the 26 tho. I see that Mountain King 2.4 Race sure is light but is it a good "Summer" (tubeless kit) all rounder for the UK (Brighton)
    Where does a chap with not much spare cash get those Contis at a good price? Any tips welcome
    Thanks
    Neil
    RQ 2.4 fits in 26" with room to spare.

    If you want to keep front low, for 49mm tube you can use Orbit E headset. I use it with 170 mm fork. If I use 150mm 650b one in front, it will be the same height. Though about doing that, maybe adjusting rear to 163, but it rides great as is.

  15. #815
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    119
    Thanks for the comment. Good news on the RQ2.4.
    Now, is it a better tyre than the Hans Dampf 2.35 Pacestar (understand Trailstar can be too grippy for the rear and was hoping clever Conti black chili might give MORE grip and better or equal rolling/climbing)?
    Thx for the headset tip, I have a -1.5 ZS headset in there (Cane Creek, got it with my frame) so I am good on front height I think. The 650 should put the front back up where the designers intended - as we know the design allowed for an external cup's stack height. Of course it will likely feel "slacker/more stable" with the extra trail added by the bigger wheel. ( a 650 wheel in a 26 fork which normally has a touch less offset ). Sounds like you tried it Axe, do you agree it gives a slacker feel?
    Thanks, neil

  16. #816
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1
    Beautiful.
    i want that bike.

  17. #817
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    119

    Smile 650B (26" Deville fork) testing update

    Quote Originally Posted by mudfish801 View Post
    Thanks for the comment. Good news on the RQ2.4.
    Now, is it a better tyre than the Hans Dampf 2.35 Pacestar (understand Trailstar can be too grippy for the rear and was hoping clever Conti black chili might give MORE grip and better or equal rolling/climbing)?
    Thx for the headset tip, I have a -1.5 ZS headset in there (Cane Creek, got it with my frame) so I am good on front height I think. The 650 should put the front back up where the designers intended - as we know the design allowed for an external cup's stack height. Of course it will likely feel "slacker/more stable" with the extra trail added by the bigger wheel. ( a 650 wheel in a 26 fork which normally has a touch less offset ). Sounds like you tried it Axe, do you agree it gives a slacker feel?
    Thanks, neil
    Update time,
    Tried the 650B 2.4 RQ /TK Chili in my Deville, it's a snug fit bit it feels just great. Kinda "swoopy" which I guess is that bit of extra trail and slight increase in the BB height I've been used to (it's back to datasheet spec now, pretty much).
    Tried the 2.4 RQ / TK Chili on the back, I love it. Good rolling, grip, volume - holds onto on clay mud a bit, but keeps going and that's not it's target surface. 2.4 RQ/TK reminds me of an old favourite, the 26" Bontrager Big Earl Wet 2.35 TLR. TK has better volume tho.
    Next will be the Schwalbe Magic Mary 650B x 2.35 Trailstar on the front, still in the 26" fork. Should leave a touch more space at the crown and even work with my Idylle SC when it comes back from Jungle.
    happy trails guys

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •