Anodized blue ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Finally it's here!

mtbr member
    Looks slack! Sweet ride.
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

mtbr member
    wow, looks super and nice setup as well 8)

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quick question for owners:

With a piggyback of a Cane Creek double barrel air - or a similarly sized and configured shock towards the seatstay: will it interfere with bottle in the bottle holder when on short travel settings?

How much space is there?

Thought about ordering DB air, but its configuration concerns me - whether the can will clear frame if I put can towards the seatstay in long travel setting - or if it clears the bottle in short travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I can't see the anodised blue, where's the picture??
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    oooh, feels safer over here, 10 minutes in the 29er forum and I got a feeling for what it must have been like landing on the Normandy beaches!
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    I can't see the anodised blue, where's the picture??

It was here, but I don't know what has happened..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Shock mount plates for AM (-5?)

Hi all,

Great forum thread this one. Not much activity recently tho!

I have a latest spec AM (thanks Dipper) and sometimes run a 170mm BOS Idylle SC and big old 2.5 tyres. When its set up like that the BB feels a touch high. Bit more high speed stability would be nice. That Idylle SC is fabulous though.

I have a -1.5 cup in the 1.5 headtube so that option has already been taken.
    I was fancying a BB rise of about 10mm for Alpine and DH lite use.

So, anyone got some Helius AM -5 shock plates or similar?

Let me know if you've
    a: tried this option - how was it?
    B: want to sell the plates?
    Thanks lots

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Mudfish did you get my email? I sent it to your gmail account. Let me know if you didn't and I can resend it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mudfish801 View Post
    Hi all,

Great forum thread this one. Not much activity recently tho!

I have a latest spec AM (thanks Dipper) and sometimes run a 170mm BOS Idylle SC and big old 2.5 tyres. When its set up like that the BB feels a touch high. Bit more high speed stability would be nice. That Idylle SC is fabulous though.

So, anyone got some Helius AM -5 shock plates or similar?

Let me know if you've
    a: tried this option - how was it?
    B: want to sell the plates?
    Thanks lots
    Hello, I ordered new shockplates to lower BB and slacken the Head Angle. I had sent an email to Nicolai to explain my problem and they had sent me two sets of shockplates to tweak the bikes geometry. I am running now with -15 shockplates wich results in a headangle between 65 and 66 degrees (measured with a smartphone app so pretty unreliable)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I used -7 plates and according to my iPhone I've about 65,5 HA and about 1cm lower BB. The difference between standard and -7 is enormous. The AM feel more stable and pedals better, especially downhill.

With -11 or -13 you probably can't use the 171m travel since the rear wheel might reach the seat tube depending on the tire!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hmpoliveira View Post
    I used -7 plates and according to my iPhone I've about 65,5 HA and about 1cm lower BB. The difference between standard and -7 is enormous. The AM feel more stable and pedals better, especially downhill.

With -11 or -13 you probably can't use the 171m travel since the rear wheel might reach the seat tube depending on the tire!
    Hello, The guys at Nicolai told me the tire will hit the seattube if you use the -15 mm plates in the 170 mm setting. I checked this my frame without damper installed and there is enough room, small frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hi K2 man,
    thanks for that info and pic, it's very interesting to know that Nicolai have a "range" of plates. Please might you answer a few more questions?

What frame was that by the way and what year, what shock? -13 is a BIG BB drop I'd have thought, unless you also had a longer than standard shock?

What is your bottom bracket "rise" now? (in case you don't know that's the BB (centre axis) height above the wheel axle centres. BB height measurements are somewhat meaningless as that dimension changes with tyre size.

Did the minus plates alter the suspension feeling? It puts the linkage into a different part of it's "rate" so perhaps that might happen?

You're right to doubt the smartphone app, for quite a while I was convinced that my AM frame angles were too steep, but it was all down to app/iPhone inaccuracy. The issue of inaccuracy was revealed when I measured the seat tube, it seemed to be tapered!
    I checked by measuring the front and back of a fork stanchion which is obviously not tapered, this inevitably involved inverting the iPhone to avoid the buttons on one side of it - the measured angle changed by about 1.5 degrees.
    In retrospect, knowing that the iPhone was not designed to measure angles and has no sensor for that, the even level of accuracy it does have is amazing, so, OK for comparisons but not for outright reference measurements.

Hey, anyone out there got any shock mount plates around -5 to sell or loan for test please? I think that would give me a BB rise of about 10mm - same as the new ION 18 and 20 - great for Alpine descents, not so great for pedal strike perhaps, lucky those plates allow swopping between settings when the bike is set for different terrain.

thanks

neil

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hi hm,

great feedback thanks

great to know that the -7 plates = about 10mm drop at the BB
    initial measurements suggested that I might need -5 plates for a 7mm drop, and that seems to work out just right. (7/10)*7 = 4.9mm

Did you feel a change to the suspension rate - i.e. rising / falling? Plainly a -7 = about 20mm at the wheel is taking the linkage into a different part of it's "rate"?

[Q=hmpoliveira]I used -7 plates and according to my iPhone I've about 65,5 HA and about 1cm lower BB. The difference between standard and -7 is enormous. The AM feel more stable and pedals better, especially downhill.

With -11 or -13 you probably can't use the 171m travel since the rear wheel might reach the seat tube depending on the tire![/Q]

I agree
    With a coil shock, because of the bumper full specified travel is only reached by riders like Josh Bender I reckon. When I tested it looked like - 5 was acceptable in the top hole (spring off, big tyre on). To be honest, though, I feel the stability of a lower BB in Alpine terrain would be worth losing a bit of travel for, so if only the 2nd hole is usable I'd not be too unhappy.

thanks again
    neil

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Replied witthin the quote.

Hi K2 man,
    thanks for that info and pic, it's very interesting to know that Nicolai have a "range" of plates. Please might you answer a few more questions?

What frame was that by the way and what year, what shock? -13 is a BIG BB drop I'd have thought, unless you also had a longer than standard shock?

Running a AM frame in size small with a Rockshox Monarch plus Shock. I think it is actually 2010 or 2011 (not 100 % sure). Maybe you can tell from this link: none at none in Zonnebeke, Belgium - photo by K2-man - Pinkbike

What is your bottom bracket "rise" now? (in case you don't know that's the BB (centre axis) height above the wheel axle centres. BB height measurements are somewhat meaningless as that dimension changes with tyre size.

Not sure, never felt the need to measure it.

Did the minus plates alter the suspension feeling? It puts the linkage into a different part of it's "rate" so perhaps that might happen?

Only thing I can say the suspension feels little more progressive.

You're right to doubt the smartphone app, for quite a while I was convinced that my AM frame angles were too steep, but it was all down to app/iPhone inaccuracy. The issue of inaccuracy was revealed when I measured the seat tube, it seemed to be tapered!
    I checked by measuring the front and back of a fork stanchion which is obviously not tapered, this inevitably involved inverting the iPhone to avoid the buttons on one side of it - the measured angle changed by about 1.5 degrees.
    In retrospect, knowing that the iPhone was not designed to measure angles and has no sensor for that, the even level of accuracy it does have is amazing, so, OK for comparisons but not for outright reference measurements.

Hey, anyone out there got any shock mount plates around -5 to sell or loan for test please? I think that would give me a BB rise of about 10mm - same as the new ION 18 and 20 - great for Alpine descents, not so great for pedal strike perhaps, lucky those plates allow swopping between settings when the bike is set for different terrain.

If you come to belgium you can experiment a little bit. I have three sets now

thanks

neil

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by K2-manOriginally Posted by mudfish801
    Hi K2 man,

[INDENT
    What frame was that by the way and what year, what shock? -13 is a BIG BB drop I'd have thought, unless you also had a longer than standard shock?[/INDENT]

Running a AM frame in size small with a Rockshox Monarch plus Shock. I think it is actually 2010 or 2011 (not 100 % sure). Maybe you can tell from this link: none at none in Zonnebeke, Belgium - photo by K2-man - Pinkbike

Not sure, never felt the need to measure it.

Only thing I can say the suspension feels little more progressive.

If you come to belgium you can experiment a little bit. I have three sets now

thanks

neil.
    thanks very much K2man

what a really great looking frame colour, Ti, I guess with black painted back end? '

- it's hard to tell which AM you have, the shock length would partly give it away though, I believe the '10 had a 200mm shock and the '11 a 216mm.

Looking at your shock mount plates in the pic they seem to be "-?" ones - yours might be a "transition" model, you could say an early '11. - in that case I believe the top tube had the same welded on mounts as a '10 frame and using the new '11 links and adjusted shock mount plates made it able to take the 216 shock.
    I am saying this because the plates look adjusted already in that pic, compared to mine.
    What are those plates in the picture? do they have a number stamped on?

I would expect it might become more progressive, I would not mind that as I could run a soft spring.

Thanks for the offer of a test that's very kind - it's quite a trip to Belgium from Brighton, though - however much I'd enjoy it.

I believe my bike has a "zero" shock mount as standard, and Nicolai have recommended a -3 mount to give 6mm BB drop.
    My frame is a 2011 AM so, actually, the final '11 model with the '11 shock tabs on the frame and 2011 mount plates (they have no number stamped on, so, I presume are "zero")

what shock mount plate do you have in addition to the -11 and -13? maybe a -7?
    might you loan the -7 to me by post? Lets talk it over? happy to pay a deposit.
    maybe you'd like to sell it?

thanks
    neil

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Adjusted Shock Mounts, AM early 2011 model

Hia K2 man

Quote Originally Posted by K2-man View Post
    Hello, The guys at Nicolai told me the tire will hit the seattube if you use the -15 mm plates in the 170 mm setting. I checked this my frame without damper installed and there is enough room, small frame.
    I think you can use the -15 because your frame is an early incarnation of the '011 AM. Since you told me your standard shock mount plates are -11, that means a -15 is effectively a 4mm adjustment. You mention that the tyre doesn't hit the seat tube with the -15 (effectively -4) mount and that's inline with my own findings.

This is almost achievable with a offset bushing. Not quite though with the 8mm bolt and an offset bush only being usable at one end (the front end).

thanks
    neil

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Shock Mount plates for AM, the word from Nicolai

Moritz at Nicolai writes:

There are two offset shock mounts that might be interesting for you.

The -3mm mounts cause about -0,5 head angle and 6mm bb drop. With these you can probably still run 171mm travel.

The other option would be the -7mm mounts. These would bring down your bb about 13mm and slacken your HA 1,1. I think that would be too extreme and you would definitly not be able to use max travel.

and

No other measurements in a bikes geometry have such a great effect on the way the bike handles even with smallest changes than BB height and chain stay length.
    6mm BB drop and the slacker HA will definitly improve the stability at higher speed.

Its good that you already tested, if there is enough space for your favorite tyres after adjustment. Many riders forget this aspect.

Only -3, -7, -11, -13 and -15 mm shock mounts are available from Nicolai.

I notice that Spesh run a zero BB rise on the Demo, the Nic IONs run +10mm BB rise. It's not a Demo 8 though, and never will be, and I'd like to retain full travel, so I'll probably try -3.

I have a latest spec AM (thanks Dipper) and sometimes run a 170mm BOS Idylle SC and big old 2.5 (effective) tyres like Clutch and Hillbilly.
    When its set up like that the BB feels a touch high. Bit more high speed stability would be nice.

So, anyone tried Helius AM -5 shock plates or similar?
    Thanks lots

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    hi, i need a clarification about the geomtry of the frame:
    is it the same for the helius AM MY2011 and MY 2012????
    thanks a lot,
    vale

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    [pescecane]hi, i need a clarification about the geomtry of the frame:
    thanks a lot,
    vale[/QUOTE]
    I think you'll find you can tell by the shock length.
    My 2011 AM has a 216mm measured eye to eye. As far as I can tell it's the same as the current web listing.
    neil

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    hi, thanks a lot...so the HA would be 66.5 as showed ih the sheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...54&output=html

[pescecane]hi, i need a clarification about the geomtry of the frame:
    thanks a lot,
    vale
    I think you'll find you can tell by the shock length.
    My 2011 AM has a 216mm measured eye to eye. As far as I can tell it's the same as the current web listing.
    neil[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-8475345283_12efcb3848_b.jpg

Frame, Size, & Color: Tailored geometry: 66 HA, 73.5 SA, +10mm BB drop, 595mm TT, 419mm reach, 430mm ST, zero stack tapered HT, Green Anodized frame, white levers with green caps and white caps on stays, Reverb stealth routing, ISCG03, 12mm rear axle, 'GeeTee' stamped on the chainstay
    * Fork: XFusion Vengeance HLR aet to 150mm (545mm A2C)
    * Shock, i2i, stroke: Cane Creek Double Barrel 216mmx63mm with RCS Ti spring right for 157mm travel at 30% sag
    * Brakes: XTR Trail with Goodridge Hoses
    * Cranks: XTR
    * Shifters: XTR
    * Front Derailleur: Nah
    * Rear Derailleur: XTR 10-speed with Clutch Mech
    * Pedals: Nukeproof Neutron Ti
    * Stem: Thomson 50mm
    * Handlebar: Easton Havoc Carbon
    * Seatpost: Reverb Stealth
    * Saddle: Fizik Gobi
    * Bottom Bracket: Chris King
    * Cassette: SRAM XX 11-36
    * Chain: SRAM
    * Headset: Reset Racing Flatstack
    * Grips: ESI foam
    * Front Tire: Rubber Queen UST 2.2
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: Enve Carbon AM with Sapim CX Ray 32 spokes
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Chris King 20mm
    * Rear Tire: Maxxis Ardent 2.2 UST
    * Rear Rim: As front
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: Chrisk King 12mm axle
    * Cables: Gore Ride On sealed
    * Misc: e13 LG1+ chain guide, modified with removal of lower guide
    * Overall Weight: 30lb 10ozs

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972 View Post
    * Fork: XFusion Vengeance HLR aet to 150mm (545mm A2C)
    * Shock, i2i, stroke: Cane Creek Double Barrel 216mmx63mm with RCS Ti spring right for 157mm travel at 30% sag
    Is this AM or AC? 66deg with 150mm fork?

Damn, I should have went for green anodized. For some reason rep talked me into powdercoated. (Not thaat I complain).

I was meaning to post my ride in this thread, but I keep thinking I will change configuration (wheelset in particular). Probably would not happen, hard to justify when it already rides great (if a bit heavy).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Is this AM or AC? 66deg with 150mm fork?
    It's an AM. Apart from being full custom geometry the XFusion fork is quite long. At 170mm full extension it's 565mm axle to crown so at 150mm its 545mm which is the referring measurement I built the frame around.

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast