Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast
    Nicolai
    Quote Originally Posted by wpuk
    Currently running Flows on mine at the mo and the rims held up great (210lbs no to precise rider)

Will be changing to a CK-XRay-Flow (rear) combo myself eventually, let us know what you go with and how you get on
    go with the flow

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hello!
    I need help choosing a frame Helius AM.
    My height is 181 SL 87; weight, 76kg.
    M or L ???
    Thank you.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by DNKolian
    Hello!
    M or L ???
    Thank you.
    What sort of riding do you like to do?

What is your normal stem length say?

Do you love to throw a bike around etc?
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm 181 too, but with a 31.5"(82) in seam if that's what SL is? Suggesting you are long of leg and shorter of body?

I ride a med with a layback post saddle central and 50mm stem, 780bars, it's compact and chuckable. I would need my saddle right back on the rails with an inline post, but it would still be ok. I would think large would feel just that, a bit large at 181. The inside leg has nothing to do with it in this case I would offer

I never feel cramped and if its a new AM with 66.5 deg angles you will want to be more over the front when cornering so standing a med and 50-70m stem would be spot on.

But finally if you can get a demo, do!

My 2p advice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DNKolian
    Hello!
    M or L ???
    Thank you.
    I am 182, weight 77 and had the same dilemma a year and half ago. I went for a large and haven't regretted it although I have never tried a medium one. My setup is with widish bars and short stem (730mm and 50mm correspondingly) for all-around riding (not dirty jumping etc.).

I know it is not comparable and it is also too subjective but my large Helius feels way better than my medium Blue Pig (always in terms of sizing) and the latter is supposed to be built large for its size (so according to their sizing chart I was in between a small and a medium frame).

I am now thinking about pulling the trigger on an ION in a few months and I have the same dilemma (because the bike would be intent onto a different kind of riding), but I think the large would be spot on with an even shorter stem and wider bars.

Hope this is helpful.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    What sort of riding do you like to do?

What is your normal stem length say?

Do you love to throw a bike around etc?
    There won't be any long trips, max distance is about 45km.
    Technical trails; Enduro; FR; local DH.
    Sometimes need to go uphill.
    Here i have moment I have the frame size of m + stem 90 mm
    Last edited by DNKolian; 03-12-2011 at 02:10 PM.

steep fast and loose :)
    i'm 182cm @ 80kg

i initially demo'd dippers medium a couple of years ago. it felt too cramped.

i went for a large and ride it with a 50mm stem and inline post. nice and stable but less chuckable than a medium obviously.

it was meant to be a trail rider, but unfortunately, is more of a play-bike due to the pedal strike issues i experience.

if you want to ride distance, i'd say you verge on medium / large, but for play, i say medium.

mtbr member
    I'm 181 on a medium. 60mm stem, 745mm bars, and the saddle forward on the rails to aid techy climbing. I've tried a large FR and it was large, my AM is perfect IMHO.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    182 and 87 leg, find the large to be spot on, currently running it with 70mm stem and 660mm bar, will be trying out a 55mm stem and 750-720, am expecting the new setup to feel pretty good once i get into it.

If i was getting a new AM, only two changes to what i have would be, medium ST paired with a large TT and 5mm extra length on the top of the HT if i stuck with 1-1/8 (running with 160 fork and reset HS)

mtbr member
    180cm and run a Medium AM, seat fully back on it's rails but still comfy with a 50mm stem.
    @ Mario, a medium ion would be way too small for you. As a large fits me fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm100
    180cm and run a Medium AM, seat fully back on it's rails but still comfy with a 50mm stem.
    @ Mario, a medium ion would be way too small for you. As a large fits me fine.
    Thanks for the info rpm
    When the time comes I will ask for a more detailed input though

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Can you get frames anodised in the UK?

Not sure I want to buy a new Nic frame since I like the one I have, although 2cm on the TT wouldn't go amis with the current med S/T and a 1.5HT but they are minor changes, I'd quite like Matt black ano. Nicolai will do it bur iirc for about 400 or something like that. Still cheaper than a new frame but I would have thought it could be done in the UK for less?

Anyone know?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Gary AM: could you list the detailed specs of your bike please. The build looks amazing.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    * Rider height: 6ft 3 weight: 146.7kg for now, ride style e.g bit of everything

* Frame, Size, & Color: xl, with 100mm cut of the seat tube
    * Fork: bos deville
    * Shock, i2i, stroke: Bos stoy
    * Brakes: Avid elixr carbons (for now)
    * Cranks: race face six c carbons
    * Shifters: xtr 9spd
    * Front Derailleur: shimano saint
    * Rear Derailleur: shimano saint double specific
    * Pedals: new trail xtr / nuke proof mag/ti
    * Stem: thompson 50mm
    * Handlebar: race face atlas fr 785wide
    * Seatpost: gd classic
    * Saddle: bel air ti
    * Bottom Bracket: chris king
    * Cassette: xt
    * Chain: pg 990
    * Headset: reset racing
    * Grips: odi lock
    * Front Tire: nobbly nic evo
    * Front wheel: crank brothers iodine ltd edition
    * Rear Tire: nobbly nic evo
    * Rear wheel: crank brothers iodine ltd edition
    * Cables: xtr
    * Overall Weight: 33lbs

IMG_0249 by ianpindir, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    From Belgium, to form a nice partnership with my Helius CC I could not resist bying this wonderfull AM frame as a demobike from Nicolai.

* Frame, Size, & Color: Helius AM Small, titanium anodized front/ black rear triangle, tapered headset, 12 mm axle

* Fork: Marzocchi Z150 FR SL
    * Shock, i2i, stroke: Fox DHX air
    * Brakes: Hope M'
    * Cranks: XT
    * Shifters: LX
    * Front Derailleur: SLX
    * Rear Derailleur: XT
    * Pedals: Shimano
    * Stem: Syncros
    * Handlebar: Syncros
    * Seatpost: Roox
    * Saddle: Syncros
    * Bottom Bracket: XT
    * Cassette: XT
    * Chain: XTR
    * Headset: Reset tapered
    * Grips: Syncros
    * Front Tire: Maxxis Minion
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: Flow rims wit sapim spokes
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Hope Pro 2 EVO
    * Rear Tire:Maxxis Minnion
    * Rear Rim: Flow rims with Sapim spokes
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: Hope Pro 2 EVO
    * Cables: Jagwire
    * Misc:
    * Overall Weight: < 15 kg (I hope)

Besides that, a small question.
    I have a blackspire chainguide for ISCG mounting, when installing it, the bolts that secure the guide touch the bolts that hold the smallest chainring on the cranks. I mounted the crank bearrings with 1 spacer on the drive side as suggested in the manaul. Any tips to make this work?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Your setup is just fine with the spacer right where it is. But Nicolai faces the ISCG tabs plane with the bb. They do this so that one can bold Hammerschmidt right away. Downside is that there is no offset, which means less space for the guide and its bolts. Grinding down the bolts on the Cranks usually helps, or finding some with a smaller head. I run my setup with a Gamut Dual guide and it fits just but well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    K2-Man - I think I recognise that AM. Was it bought from the Nicolai Stock List? Absolutely stunning finish on it, with that combination of titanium and black anodizing.

Have fun on it and when funds allow, treat it to a lighter set of forks

"Its All Good"
    Yeah ha K2-Man..... A true stealth machine.... Enjoy and whack a new fork on that puppy....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    K2-Man - I think I recognise that AM. Was it bought from the Nicolai Stock List? Absolutely stunning finish on it, with that combination of titanium and black anodizing.

Have fun on it and when funds allow, treat it to a lighter set of forks
    Yes it is, straight from the factory. It was a real bargain ! I am looking for a Lyrik Air to make the build complete ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Details PM'd and thanks, it rides great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Yeah ha K2-Man..... A true stealth machine.... Enjoy and whack a new fork on that puppy....
    In progress ! Indeed front and back are not in balance right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ok, Updates finished now, nothing left to do to it and fresh from the big test in SuperEnduro Sestri which was it's second ride in this state. Alot different from when I bought it and thought I wouldn't change anything!! IT passed the test

Spec:
    Frame: Nicolai Helius AM, gloss white powdercoat with Extra Love Anodized Pivots and Bearing Covers, Maxle 135 x 12mm rear axle
    Rear Shock: BOS S'TOY (Was DHX 5.0 air)
    Fork: BOS DEVILLE (Was 2010 Fox 36 Float FIT RC2)
    Headset: CUSTOM 1 1/8th Deep Cup Angle set -1.2Deg (66.5 Deg static) (Was Chris King No Threadset and 67.7 Deg)
    Stem: PointOne Racing Split Second 50mm (was Thomson X4)
    Handlebar: Chromag Fubar OSX 780mm (was Easton EA70 Monkeybar)
    Grips: Superstar with blingy bar ends
    Seatpost: KS i900R (wasThomson Elite Layback)
    Seat Clamp: Superstar (was Hope)
    Saddle: SDG Ti (was Selle Italia Regal-E Team)
    Brakes: Hope Tech V2 Ltd 203/183 (Hope Tech M4 Custom Red Ano with Goodridge Braided Hoses)
    Pedals: PointOne Racing flats (Was xt spds)
    Rear Mech: Shimano Saint Shadow
    Cassette: Shimano SLX 11-28
    Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Howizter
    Chainset: Truvativ Hammerschmidt AM
    Left Shifter: SRAM X0 for Hammerschmidt with Hope Tech lever mount
    Right Shifter: Shimano XT M770 with Hope Tech lever mount
    Hubs: Chris King ISO Disc 32H Red
    Spokes: Sapim CX Ray Bladed Black with Red Nipples
    Rims: Stans Flow white powdercoat
    Tyres: Maxxis High Roller Rear, Minion Front 2.35 set up tubeless
    Weight 33.5lbs

The frame is looking a bit secondhand now its been thrown down a fair few gnarly trails, so a few more stickers may be in order...

Nicolai Helius AM and BOS suspension

Working for its living

_1020165.jpg

and a bit of R&R
    _1010879.jpg
    Last edited by the_pilot; 04-20-2011 at 06:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Adam - can you tell us more about this custom deep insert angle set please.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi geetee, Phil here, Allessandro is my Italian host who posted the pics.

The details of the headset are here http://www.ofanaim.net/hasale.html

Saar is a great guy, he's in Isreal, and has quite a few of these in service now, with feedback on the Turner forum and others, despite originally just doing it for himself on a Turner 5-spot. He has produced them for V10 DH bikes and all sorts, the ones I have are based on the dimensions of the Cruz V10 ones he did.

Mine have 22mm Skirts top and bottom, using Tange bearings (std) and top cap (I don't use the top cap as my stem is integrated)
    The website shows the angles that can be achieved and this is dependent on headtube length. The AM can comfortablly take -1.2deg but will go to -1.3 IIRC. I decided to go with the new stock geometry.
    The headset is very well made and Saar has subjected them to some substantial testing abuse, including whacking the skirts/cups with a hammer in the name of ensuring they are robust as it wasn't his original intention to sell to others)

Theyhave substantial alignment marks, and you do obviously have to be careful when inserting them to make sure they are aligned, I had no trouble, just took it slow and made sure there was plenty of grease so they went in smooth. It would be easier/safer with a second person just to hold them in place as the press is wound in.

They have a solid crown race and lower seal.

Pre-loading was easy and they haven't moved and run lovely and smooth. It has make a big difference to the bikes stability on the steeps but I cant say I have noticed any slower steering, but I also added 780mm bars and 50mm stem at the same time.

I'm most impressed that it still climbs great with no wandering, a little light occasionally. but hey its running a big fork!
    Dunno what else to say really, they cost $200 shipped, so a little under 130, they are sent in a normal packet, tracked through Isreal until the UK, normal recorded mail in UK. he can anodise them a few colours or leave raw

Saars communication and pictures of them being produced were great.

So in summary, works well, looks good, transforms the bike, well worth the cash as much cheaper than a new frame!

There are also those offset shock bushes for 20 or so, which is very cheap if you want to see how the new angle works but I didn't want them, I was confident it would be good, I think they do lower the BB more then the headset too.

If there's anything else, just ask, or ask Saar Gelvan, he's very very helpful and enthusiastic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi geetee, Phil here, Allessandro is my Italian host who posted the pics.

Just noticed Saar has updated his website with new GBP prices and options.
    You can just get cups and use your existing bearings and top cap if they're compatible for 91 shipped or the full headset for 121

Looks like he is also making some 1.5 and tapered too...my interest was the 1 1/8".

Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast