Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database

178K views 816 replies 73 participants last post by  mudfish801 
#1 ·
Nicolai Helius AM owners please post your setups.

Potential owners view, compare, drool & gain insight etc!

Nicolai Linky

Also "no flames please" you can do that on other posts or create a new one if you need to vent, let this be an information data base to assist not to attack or hinder. We can hopefully build a great source of valuable information.

Post pictures of your build also......

Riding terrain conditions:

* Rider height, weight, ride style e.g XC, endurance,trail, hucker etc

* Frame, Size, & Color:
* Fork:
* Shock, i2i, stroke
* Brakes:
* Cranks:
* Shifters:
* Front Derailleur:
* Rear Derailleur:
* Pedals:
* Stem:
* Handlebar:
* Seatpost:
* Saddle:
* Bottom Bracket:
* Cassette:
* Chain:
* Headset:
* Grips:
* Front Tire:
* Front Rim/ Spokes:
* Front Hub/Skewer:
* Rear Tire:
* Rear Rim:
* Rear Hub/Skewer:
* Cables:
* Misc:
* Overall Weight:

See less See more
Reactions: Axe
#693 ·
Which wheels to use on the AM

Red CK hubs/sapim cxrays/White stans flow or black CK hubs/dtcomp/ mavic823

I'd have to change the axles to switch to the 823's (black hubs qr, red hubs 12mm)

823's maybe 400g heavier the pair, maybe burlier, but not necessarily.

AM has lost a lot of the red theme since vie had it now acquiring Saint brakes, black graphics, leaving only the extra love pivots and bearing caps really.

But this question isn't about colour its suitability.

Here is where the parts have been rehomed to, gratuitous pic content.

These are the black wheels/hubs.

I do still have the HS on the AM, loved it so much I got another.

#699 ·
the_pilot said:
Which wheels to use on the AM

Red CK hubs/sapim cxrays/White stans flow or black CK hubs/dtcomp/ mavic823
Currently running Flows on mine at the mo and the rims held up great (210lbs no to precise rider)

Will be changing to a CK-XRay-Flow (rear) combo myself eventually, let us know what you go with and how you get on

#703 ·
DNKolian said:
Hello!
I need help choosing a frame Helius AM.
My height is 181 SL 87; weight, 76kg.
M or L ???
Thank you.
What sort of riding do you like to do?

What is your normal stem length say?

Do you love to throw a bike around etc?

#704 ·
I'm 181 too, but with a 31.5"(82) in seam if that's what SL is? Suggesting you are long of leg and shorter of body?

I ride a med with a layback post saddle central and 50mm stem, 780bars, it's compact and chuckable. I would need my saddle right back on the rails with an inline post, but it would still be ok. I would think large would feel just that, a bit large at 181. The inside leg has nothing to do with it in this case I would offer :)

I never feel cramped and if its a new AM with 66.5 deg angles you will want to be more over the front when cornering so standing a med and 50-70m stem would be spot on.

But finally if you can get a demo, do!

My 2p advice.

#705 ·
DNKolian said:
Hello!
I need help choosing a frame Helius AM.
My height is 181 SL 87; weight, 76kg.
M or L ???
Thank you.
I am 182, weight 77 and had the same dilemma a year and half ago. I went for a large and haven't regretted it although I have never tried a medium one. My setup is with widish bars and short stem (730mm and 50mm correspondingly) for all-around riding (not dirty jumping etc.).

I know it is not comparable and it is also too subjective but my large Helius feels way better than my medium Blue Pig (always in terms of sizing) and the latter is supposed to be built large for its size (so according to their sizing chart I was in between a small and a medium frame).

I am now thinking about pulling the trigger on an ION in a few months and I have the same dilemma (because the bike would be intent onto a different kind of riding), but I think the large would be spot on with an even shorter stem and wider bars.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers

#707 ·
i'm 182cm @ 80kg

i initially demo'd dippers medium a couple of years ago. it felt too cramped.

i went for a large and ride it with a 50mm stem and inline post. nice and stable but less chuckable than a medium obviously.

it was meant to be a trail rider, but unfortunately, is more of a play-bike due to the pedal strike issues i experience.

if you want to ride distance, i'd say you verge on medium / large, but for play, i say medium.

#709 ·
182 and 87 leg, find the large to be spot on, currently running it with 70mm stem and 660mm bar, will be trying out a 55mm stem and 750-720, am expecting the new setup to feel pretty good once i get into it.

If i was getting a new AM, only two changes to what i have would be, medium ST paired with a large TT and 5mm extra length on the top of the HT if i stuck with 1-1/8 (running with 160 fork and reset HS)

#712 ·
Can you get frames anodised in the UK?

Not sure I want to buy a new Nic frame since I like the one I have, although 2cm on the TT wouldn't go amis with the current med S/T and a 1.5HT but they are minor changes, I'd quite like Matt black ano. Nicolai will do it bur iirc for about £400 or something like that. Still cheaper than a new frame but I would have thought it could be done in the UK for less?

Anyone know?

#714 ·
* Rider height: 6ft 3 weight: 146.7kg for now, ride style e.g bit of everything

* Frame, Size, & Color: xl, with 100mm cut of the seat tube
* Fork: bos deville
* Shock, i2i, stroke: Bos stoy
* Brakes: Avid elixr carbons (for now)
* Cranks: race face six c carbons
* Shifters: xtr 9spd
* Front Derailleur: shimano saint
* Rear Derailleur: shimano saint double specific
* Pedals: new trail xtr / nuke proof mag/ti
* Stem: thompson 50mm
* Handlebar: race face atlas fr 785wide
* Seatpost: gd classic
* Saddle: bel air ti
* Bottom Bracket: chris king
* Cassette: xt
* Chain: pg 990
* Headset: reset racing
* Grips: odi lock
* Front Tire: nobbly nic evo
* Front wheel: crank brothers iodine ltd edition
* Rear Tire: nobbly nic evo
* Rear wheel: crank brothers iodine ltd edition
* Cables: xtr
* Overall Weight: 33lbs

IMG_0249 by ianpindir, on Flickr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.