Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wpuk
    On a side note if any one from Nicolai frequents these boards, start speccing your HT with another 15-20mm on top, i dont think ive seen any set-ups without at least a small splattering of spacers
    They would at least loose me as a potential buyer by such maneuver, that just doesn't make sense at all.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ...custom geo option

Maybe 15-20mm was a bit much, but looking at this thread, they could easily add 10mm and still be catering to 99% of the people that have posted here

Im only musing, im relatively happy with the way mine looks (10mm spacers), if i had known abit more about my bike i would have gone down the custom geo route (for other additional factors as well)

Personal opinion, im just not overly keen on having a large stack of spacers under the stem

mtbr member
    I have 10mm under the my lowstack sunline stem, but I'm also running a reset headset which is fairly high. Agree a totem pole of spacers looks boggin.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Changes done...

In the bottom picture it can be seen where a bit of maching to the LG1+ chain device was needed due to a clash with the ISCG adjustable mount (Nicolai standard)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-2011_1_10-001.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-2011_1_10-002.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-2011_1_10-007.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-2011_1_10-010.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-2011_1_10-004.jpg  

Last edited by Garry AM; 01-10-2011 at 07:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That's a really cool Am you've got there Garry! Loving the Brooks on a KS post

Regarding the headtube length debate, If I could buy my AM again I would go for 1,5HT and run zerostack.

I'm currently running zero spacers and a flatbar.

The Lg1 looks great, does it work as well?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks mikael, the brooks is really comfortable on long rides, and I agree with you if buying again I would go for 1.5 headtube.

The LG1 works a treat really quiet and theres no way the chain can go anywhere, which gives great confidence.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Am really interested in buying one of these, only thing holding me back is price! Am currently running a normal FD as a chan guide and it's freaking ugly

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Whoa, for real you've actually gone and got a pair of Haven Carbon wheels!

I was going to write something snotty about having whacked 2.5k on the lightest wheel set you can find only to blow it all on the heaviest saddle you can find.

But a bit of research leads me to believe that actually that Brooks saddle may not be more than 150g heavier than a regular Fizik Gobi thingyum.

Out of interest where did you get the carbon Havoc bars from? I searched high and low in the UK but couddn't find them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My LBS, Batchelors Bikes in Warminster http://bikz.co.uk/ small shop but serve me very well, call Darren 01985 213221 he'll get you a pair for a good price.

Nicolai
    Hi Garry,

Does the reverse mounting for the KS seat post help in anyway to make sure dirt doesn't gets in and have the actuator all jammed up?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi Attitude sorry by reverse mounting do you mean the clamp?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Went out on it again today great ride until over the bars and badly broke left hand so no riding for 6 weeks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry AM
    Went out on it again today great ride until over the bars and badly broke left hand so no riding for 6 weeks

That sucks mate,What have you done to your hand?

Must be the season for OTB

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nuckle pushed back snapping metatarsal bone of ring finger at shallow angle and push it right in, yuk.

"Its All Good"
    Stunning Gary, your AM is looking sick.... Great wheels.... I too had a break of an arm on Sunday, 2 Nicolai peeps down for a few weeks, well say 6, but am not accepting of 6 weeks out as yet.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sorry to hear about the injuries guys, heal quickly.

On a side note , is the Reset worth it? I have a King and your all worrying me with head tube flaring/warranty paranoia on other threads.

That or an Acros but red would be nice. Reset an extra 60 nearly double to get a red deep headset!!!

Go on influence me. I'm not a crazy hard rider, too old!

mtbr member
    It's simples.....
    If your regularly hitting big rock gardens at speed and landing 6ft drops to flat then perhaps. If your planing on 100 maximum attack, non stop runs of the Pleny in morzine, then yes.
    But if your just spinning on welsh 'merry-go-round' trails with occasional jumps and doubles, then no.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about the injury - that bike is dope!

How were u finding the rubber queens - those things look fatter than a 2.7 minion!
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

mtbr member
    Having said that, I think the extra cost is worth it for the piece of mind alone!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Karve they are very grip on loose stuff only place they suffer is leant over on roots probably due to the almost constant shoulder, but then thats the reason they're so good everywhere else. Never had puncture or damaged sidewall, and they roll quite well.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry AM
    Karve they are very grip on loose stuff only place they suffer is leant over on roots probably due to the almost constant shoulder, but then thats the reason they're so good everywhere else. Never had puncture or damaged sidewall, and they roll quite well.
    gary, a favour please, can you start a thread on carbon wheels, a good many of us want to hear how they are riding, or if they rode well before your got injured....

Healing vibes to you, am only sharing the healing vibes, cause I have to keep some for me too...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    LOL - so one ride out on carbon wheels and Gary suffers a crash and break! Hmmm, maybe I'll give the Carbon Havocs a miss.

As Whafe knows, I'm off out to San Diego on the weekend (for business but it would be rude not to take the bike now wouldn't it!) and I've managed to find a local bike shop that has the right spec Carbon Haven wheels for sale at under $2000, so about 1200 at current rates.

What do peeps think; cheap at half the price?

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    LOL - so one ride out on carbon wheels and Gary suffers a crash and break! Hmmm, maybe I'll give the Carbon Havocs a miss.

As Whafe knows, I'm off out to San Diego on the weekend (for business but it would be rude not to take the bike now wouldn't it!) and I've managed to find a local bike shop that has the right spec Carbon Haven wheels for sale at under $2000, so about 1200 at current rates.

That cheap, jump at it geetee, a great price.... Get Stevo to take you to Bike Bling, see what price they are there....

Have a great ride, am jealous cant join you....

Go the carbon wheels...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972

Buy a set anyway,Bring them back to the Uk,If you dont like them sell them to me.
    20mm front 12x135 rear

steep fast and loose :)
    how many of you are regularly breaking wheels ?

rather than buying stronger wheels, perhaps some coaching on technique is money better spent ?

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast