Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Hi Garry,

Maybe you should try the tyre setup i'm running as i honestly cant beleive the grip i had on sunday in the mud! Its all a preference thing some people dont like hugely powerful brakes. I love the moto V2's, the only change i see happening brake wise is a set of tech lever's if they are as good as everyone says. As for the weight i've hit the sweetspot for me so i see no need to save any more. As i said i'd be happy to add a 1lb if required!
    I'm also running a std. CK headset still waiting for the steelset to arrive, do you know the CK Ti is heavier than a std. one?

I've attached a couple of pics i took down at Fetteresso on Sunday, It was bloody cold so just snapped a couple. I meant to take a couple at the end of the ride as my nice white wheels ended up nearer the colour of the frame after and encounter with a mud bog!

Derek
    Attached Images Attached Images

steep fast and loose :)
    here's mine after the mudfest on sunday.

comes in ~30.6lbs (without mud).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi Derek,

Looks like nice woods.

I didn't mean to knock the grip of the Mountain Kings, but it gets very slippy round this way (wiltshire) you actually get some good rock to ride on! The reason I was waiting on brakes was hope did them for me as favour with 180 rotor (friend of friend) so the front is pretty powerfull. If i do change then it will probably be to either Moto techV2 or formula one but I have tried to keep as much of the bike European if not British so probably the Hopes. They'll need changing for the mega anyhow.

Yeah i think the V2's would be awesome for the mega.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    here's mine after the mudfest on sunday.

comes in ~30.6lbs (without mud).
    Add another 1/2lb for that seat/post

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have Formula The Ones on my Ion, with 200mm rotors front and rear. I've had Hope M4s and Avid Juicy Carbons and have boiled both on long Alpine decents. The Formulars however have been awesome and never boiled once, not even on 15minute+ decents in Chamonix. They are truly awersome brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Nice looking pics, Any think this bike would be good for some light UK DH duties ? with 36's on and a set of DH tyres ?

better off with the FR and a pair of 180mm's simonm

Quote Originally Posted by simonm
    Nice looking pics, Any think this bike would be good for some light UK DH duties ? with 36's on and a set of DH tyres ?
    I would say so its very capable, i'm running 823 rims on mine and 36s.
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Next change arrived today a pair of race red Burgtec Penthouse Flats, can't wait to try flat pedals its been 14 years! I've been clipped in all that time.

But the combination of the pedals and Five Tens should help ease the change.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Forgot to mention 2.0 Mud X tyres, Red Hope 70mm stem, 09 crud race guard and Brooks Ti swift saddle in Honey for a bit of classic style and 'comfort' (after its been broken in on the racer set up on the turbo trainer).

Fat & Single
    Everyone here (OZ) is clipped in apart from downhillers.

mate over here we run anything over 2.1 for pro XC , were talking 2.3 + tyres for AM......

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just taken off 2.4 tyres the reason...... we have mud over here mate.

Are Ozzy freeriders clipped in then?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by derekr
    I would say so its very capable, i'm running 823 rims on mine and 36s.
    I suppose its a daft question really as people used to race UK DH with 80mm hardtails ! Im only riding up at wharncliffe from time to time, which is mostly oldskool DH tracks.

Fat & Single
    garry , i left there when i was 29.

rode in UK mud for years....still have 2 bros ther plodding through the normal.

all im saying is the XC racers (i race XC too , but not as serious) run 2.1 or less , i always run 2.3 or more ..... all tyres

ozzy - you'll be telling us next everyone in Oz wears lycra skin suits and freaks out to pumping Euro dance music

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ozzy if we were talking about cross country racing then yes less than 2.0 all the way but I wouldn't say that on soft ground just because the bike is called an AM that I should not use below a 2.4 tyre. I just change tyres with the weather and kind of riding I'm doing I've got every thing in the garage from Maxxis 310's to 2.5 Highrollers just depends on what i'm doing.

ps. Maxxis 310's may be the lightest tyre possible but it also has the least grip possible unless your riding on short grass! then its great. Suicidal on fireroad and I thought any tyre could manage that

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    ozzy - you'll be telling us next everyone in Oz wears lycra skin suits and freaks out to pumping Euro dance music

When i left the UK tyre sizing and choice wasn't what it is now. And i have only ridden in muddy conditions once here as we are 99% dry hardpack and dusty conditions. I realize there is more of a job dialling in the correct tyre for the different conditions yous have there. I run 1 type for winter months (nevegals) and another for summer (small block 8) as its garanteed to be dry, yous guys could have different conditions every ride.

Garry , funny story- back when i started riding Mtb again (1yr ago) i thought this clipped in stuff looked a bit dangerous so i bought a set of DMR V12's , i had them on for 25mins until they took a bite out of my leg then limped home. And yes FR clipless too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ah yes Ozzy that'll be why I've bought myself a set of fox launch shin/knee pads as I don't want to suffer the same fate your shin did! By the way I'll be riding XC clipped in and AM rides clipped in but not going learning to jump big clipped in! At my local club we have a range of jumps on the hill from 2ft high tables right through to big step downs and a 50ft gap jump and yes it really is 50ft we measured it! see it at http://www.mtbmovies.com/movies.php?id=750

I am just on the little stuff at the moment and I am hoping the AM and the flat pedals give me the confidence to go big

Im not a fan of clipped in pedals, to be honest a pair of 5-10s and a good set of flats is all thats required. I always used to use V12/V8 pedals but now i've moved on to Easton flatboys i wouldnt go back. I do believe the burtec's are a step up again

Shweet video mate, trails look like great fun!! Deffo need to take you up on that offer sometime this year!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    gary when my bike comes any chance we could go mincing there please?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Derek and Ian you'll be most welcome.

derekr - you don't have a 50 incher in your repertoire, never mind a 50 footer

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I hope you have more luck with your Burgtec pedals. The quality can be a bit hit and miss. I've had two pairs, still got one set after two years, but the other set caused me no end of problems. I managed to destroy the pedal threads on two cranks and literally couldn't get them into the third before Burgtec finally accepted the threads were fractionally too large! Oh and the pedal body seized onto the axle on both sets.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast