Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    TLR speaks rubbish when he says there are few places in the uk which demand a bike like an AM/FR/AFR. The point is that an AM can do the ups the same as an AC or any other bike; but can handle the downs almost like a full-on doonhall machine.

People all over the county get dressed up like stormtroopers and throw themselves down DH tracks on huge world cup spec. downhill machines.... an AM/FR/AFR equiped rider can do a 20/30 mile loop and include ragging the gnarly doonhallness - the bike is up to the task without needing to be minced down. Building a super light AM/FR/AFR is to miss the point if you ask me.

My AM started at 33 lbs with air shock and light Schwalb tyres... the weight has had to rise as the tyres were trashed and the air shock was replaced with coil to get better suspension when really pushing things. Probably 35 lbs now but feels so much more solid and happy when hitting the gnar - I will not be making it light again - I have a hardtail for when I want to crank in the miles and either not go near the gnar or be happy to mince through it.

"Its All Good"
    Great post PimpDaddy.... Couldnt be worded better.....

Cant wait for my AM 29er, she is being built as we speak....... YEAH HA....

Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    TLR speaks rubbish when he says there are few places in the uk which demand a bike like an AM/FR/AFR. The point is that an AM can do the ups the same as an AC or any other bike; but can handle the downs almost like a full-on doonhall machine.

People all over the county get dressed up like stormtroopers and throw themselves down DH tracks on huge world cup spec. downhill machines.... an AM/FR/AFR equiped rider can do a 20/30 mile loop and include ragging the gnarly doonhallness - the bike is up to the task without needing to be minced down. Building a super light AM/FR/AFR is to miss the point if you ask me.

My AM started at 33 lbs with air shock and light Schwalb tyres... the weight has had to rise as the tyres were trashed and the air shock was replaced with coil to get better suspension when really pushing things. Probably 35 lbs now but feels so much more solid and happy when hitting the gnar - I will not be making it light again - I have a hardtail for when I want to crank in the miles and either not go near the gnar or be happy to mince through it.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I agree I think, for the lesser stuff in the UK I will be using my Rigid.

This is the terrain that convinced me I wanted the AM, and below the bike I did it on. There was some mincing Although I also showed the way to a few Full sussers

I think the AM is much better suited

I need to get to Wales or the Peaks soon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-trans-prov-gnarr.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-trans-prov-gnarr-2.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-trans-prov-rigid-stylee.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There you go @thepimpmessiah, making me think about a CCDB again....even though I've no idea whether my 2010 Fox DHX5.0 air is up to it or not, come to think of it whether I'm up to it! It does seem plush at the moment even on small bumps, but there again after riding rigid for do long, anything would. Is it the big hits the coil comes in?

mtbr member
    Epic terrain Mr Pilot

Re the coil... I was happy enough with the air until I tried to set it up properly. With too much air and hence sag of only 20% it works okay... but slam on a coil at 30% Sag and I got to feel what I was missing. When I then went back to the air I could feel how wrong it all is and how I was riding round how the shock wallows and blows through the travel.

Minor improvement by tweaking the air shock but after discussions with TFT the air will be in the tool box and the coil will get tweaked and stay on the bike. For what it's worth... I wouldn't bother with a CCDB. Get a custom tuned shock of any kind from any custom tuner - I prefer fit and forget to fiddle and faff

As long as you don't try a coil shock you'll be fine

I've written about this in depth before if you fancy a long read - Building an AM...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    aghh, ok, more to think about...custom tuners etc. recommendations for coil shock and tuner anyone for me to think about?

back on thread then..Nicolai in the lakes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-nicolai-am-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah

hear hear! I've timed myself(sad i know ) up some of my local climbs and there's only a couple of mins in it between my AFR @ 37lb and my VF2 @ 27lb. Granted, I'm not quick on either as I'm a plodder but 2mins makes not a blind bit of difference to me. I still get home in time for tea Not timed the downs(probably not much in that either) as i'm more intersted in how it makes me feel and the AFR wins by smiles
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot
    aghh, ok, more to think about...custom tuners etc. recommendations for coil shock and tuner anyone for me to think about?

back on thread then..Nicolai in the lakes
    pilot - I Love You..... A Jones and Nicolai, you rock. My twin...

Throw a CCDB with a ti spring, and you will be in a world of bliss on that terrain....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    TLR, wheres that CCDB Has it got a Ti spring, 450lb, 500lb? and how much is a 200x57 DHX5.0 air worth

steep fast and loose :)
    pimpy's covinced me too fellas.....

i'm buying an ion st for commuting

lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Anyone tried an Elka Stage 5 on their AM?
    Cheaper than CCDB, lighter? Well rated it seems.

"Its All Good"
    Am in the process of ordering one, they were very fast to make contact..... Want to give something else a whirl, besides a CCDB... Not at all saying the CCDB is not a ripping good shock... A change is a good thing...

Err runs and ELka on his AFR and rates it really well, he has had an Elka on a good few steeds now....

Still trying to suss out weight compared to a CCDB...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am using the stage5 on my custom AM since half a year. The performance of the shock is really great. I cannot compare to the double barrel though.
    The stage5 is damped pretty strong. So if you like that, it is an amazing shock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-helius_am_custom.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    lakakeman: Really sick looking AM! One of the coolest I've seen, what is custom with it? Looks long and low.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It is a tailor frame. Seat tube from size M, top tube from size L, lower bb, slacker head angle ~66°. Shock is a 216mm running at 157mm travel, I am using a RS Lyrik DH 170mm for bike park and FR stuff and a 150mm RS Revelation for local trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That's about exactly what I'd do if I'd bought a new one, congrats!

mtbr member
    Really sweet AM, If I had to have only one bike, that woulb be something like this !
    I absolutely love the elka on my Ion, it must be the same on your AM.
    Never enough singletracks !

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

May as well add mine to the list....any excuse to post a pic!

* 5' 9" / 11.5 stone / Trail riding?!

* Frame, Size, & Color: Helius AM / Medium / Ano Black.
    * Fork: Fox 32 RL 150mm
    * Shock: Fox DHX Air 5.0 / 215 i2i / 64mm stroke.
    * Brakes:Hope MinI Mono / 183 front / 160 rear.
    * Cranks: Shimano XT / 36-22 / E-Thirteen bashguard
    * Shifters: Shimano XT
    * Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
    * Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT / Mid cage
    * Pedals: Superstar Nano-Tech
    * Stem: Thomson Elite / 70mm / 0 rise
    * Handlebar: Chromag Fubars Acute / Polished
    * Seatpost: Thomson.
    * Saddle: Madison Flux
    * Bottom Bracket: Hope Stainless Steel
    * Cassette: Shimano XT
    * Chain: Shimano XTR
    * Headset: Hope
    * Grips: ODI Ruffian Lock-on
    * Front Tire: Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 LUST
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: Mavic XM819 UST
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Hope Pro2
    * Rear Tire: Maxxis Ardent 2.25 LUST
    * Rear Rim: Stans Flow
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: DT440 / Hope skewer
    * Cables: Shimano
    * Misc: Salsa Flip-lock
    * Overall Weight: 32lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It's been pretty revised over the last year or so:

* Frame, Size, & Color: Large with a custom small seat tube - pretty obviously in dizzy urban camo with ano black rear!
    * Fork: Fox 36 RLC Kashima
    * Shock, i2i, stroke: Cane Creek DB with 550lb/inch spring in the 158mm travel mode for trail riding and I keep the same spring for DH use set in the top hole, 200x57. No HSC, five clicks of HSR, 10 clicks of LSC and 13 of LSR
    * Brakes: Formula The One with 180mm rotors
    * Cranks:XTR with single ring 32t and e13 LG1+
    * Shifters:XTR
    * Front Derailleur: Nah
    * Rear Derailleur: Saint Short Cage
    * Pedals: Nuke Proof Mag Ti
    * Stem: Thomson 50mm
    * Handlebar: Renthal Fatbar 750mm 20mm rise
    * Seatpost:Gravity Dropper Turbo
    * Saddle: Some Spesh branded affair
    * Bottom Bracket: Chris Bling
    * Cassette: XTR 11-34
    * Chain: SRAM of some form
    * Headset: Reset Racing
    * Grips: Odi Ruffians (are there any other grips available?)
    * Front Tire: Maxxis HR or Minion DHF, always single ply, sometimes folding, 60a.
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: Stans Flow, Swiss DB comp
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Hadley 20mm through
    * Rear Tire: as for front
    * Rear Rim: as for front
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: Hadley 9mm with Hope QR
    * Cables: Gore
    * Misc: Stans No Tube run throughout, the rear with the rim strip the front with just the tape. Also have a Fox RP23 as an alternative to the CCDB. It saves over 1lb in weight, but the CCDB is just sooo good.
    * Overall Weight: 31.8lbs with the Cane Creek, 30.5lbs with the RP23

mtbr member
    The problem with your bike is that there isn't anything to change for a better one. You just have to buy a new frame and start a new building, or ride this beautiful bike as many times as you can !
    Never enough singletracks !

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Rock and rescue appear to import the elka into the UK, I might try contacting elka direct tho. I don't want to mess with the shock too much, fit and forget, ive been riding rigid so long it's all a bit strange, I understand it from my motorcycling days but I don't ride enough worthy, testing terrain often enough to create meaningful tests or comparisons so in need something that just works. I am gradually increasing the air pressure in my dhx at the moment to get ton the sweet spot, i can tell I'm blowing through travel a bit fast aftervthe initial sag.
    It's all good fun :-)

. I am gradually increasing the air pressure in my dhx at the moment to get ton the sweet spot, i can tell I'm blowing through travel a bit fast aftervthe initial sag.
    It's all good fun :-)
    many people on this forum will tell you that the inherent design characteristic and leverage rate / curve of the AM dictates that an air can cannot deal with the AM's characteristic.....

it seems the monarch 'e'tune is the mystical solution......

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by mikael_nr1
    lakakeman: Really sick looking AM! One of the coolest I've seen, what is custom with it? Looks long and low.
    +1 on that, sick sick looking AM.... Me likey.....

Just wait till you see a mean as 29er AM!!!!!

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    It's been pretty revised over the last year or so:

* Frame, Size, & Color: Large with a custom small seat tube - pretty obviously in dizzy urban camo with ano black rear!
    * Fork: Fox 36 RLC Kashima
    * Shock, i2i, stroke: Cane Creek DB with 550lb/inch spring in the 158mm travel mode for trail riding and I keep the same spring for DH use set in the top hole, 200x57. No HSC, five clicks of HSR, 10 clicks of LSC and 13 of LSR
    * Brakes: Formula The One with 180mm rotors
    * Cranks:XTR with single ring 32t and e13 LG1+
    * Shifters:XTR
    * Front Derailleur: Nah
    * Rear Derailleur: Saint Short Cage
    * Pedals: Nuke Proof Mag Ti
    * Stem: Thomson 50mm
    * Handlebar: Renthal Fatbar 750mm 20mm rise
    * Seatpost:Gravity Dropper Turbo
    * Saddle: Some Spesh branded affair
    * Bottom Bracket: Chris Bling
    * Cassette: XTR 11-34
    * Chain: SRAM of some form
    * Headset: Reset Racing
    * Grips: Odi Ruffians (are there any other grips available?)
    * Front Tire: Maxxis HR or Minion DHF, always single ply, sometimes folding, 60a.
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: Stans Flow, Swiss DB comp
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Hadley 20mm through
    * Rear Tire: as for front
    * Rear Rim: as for front
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: Hadley 9mm with Hope QR
    * Cables: Gore
    * Misc: Stans No Tube run throughout, the rear with the rim strip the front with just the tape. Also have a Fox RP23 as an alternative to the CCDB. It saves over 1lb in weight, but the CCDB is just sooo good.
    * Overall Weight: 31.8lbs with the Cane Creek, 30.5lbs with the RP23
    Sweet as, but when wasnt it.... Yummy paint job

"Its All Good"
    Nick, welcome to the forums... be keen to see some action shots on your new AM, post em up in the stickey thread of monthly action shots....

Great looking AM, enjoy that baby, thrash her hard....

Quote Originally Posted by Nickegg
    May as well add mine to the list....any excuse to post a pic!

* 5' 9" / 11.5 stone / Trail riding?!

* Frame, Size, & Color: Helius AM / Medium / Ano Black.
    * Fork: Fox 32 RL 150mm
    * Shock: Fox DHX Air 5.0 / 215 i2i / 64mm stroke.
    * Brakes:Hope MinI Mono / 183 front / 160 rear.
    * Cranks: Shimano XT / 36-22 / E-Thirteen bashguard
    * Shifters: Shimano XT
    * Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
    * Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT / Mid cage
    * Pedals: Superstar Nano-Tech
    * Stem: Thomson Elite / 70mm / 0 rise
    * Handlebar: Chromag Fubars Acute / Polished
    * Seatpost: Thomson.
    * Saddle: Madison Flux
    * Bottom Bracket: Hope Stainless Steel
    * Cassette: Shimano XT
    * Chain: Shimano XTR
    * Headset: Hope
    * Grips: ODI Ruffian Lock-on
    * Front Tire: Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 LUST
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: Mavic XM819 UST
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Hope Pro2
    * Rear Tire: Maxxis Ardent 2.25 LUST
    * Rear Rim: Stans Flow
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: DT440 / Hope skewer
    * Cables: Shimano
    * Misc: Salsa Flip-lock
    * Overall Weight: 32lbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    pilot, Silverfish are the distributors for Elka in the UK.

lakekeland, I love that raw finish, very nice bike. How are you finding the Elka?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Whafe: Taking it on it's first 'proper' ride tomorrow, doing White's Level at Afan. Will ask my wife to take some action shots of me!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks ryates. Awaiting availability info now from psycleworks Bristol, looks like about £450 or so with a steel alloy spring so not far off a CCDB cost wise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    sheesh, so £290 for a pushed Van R, £450 for the Elka, or £470 for the CCDB.
    CCDB - instant retail therapy, but how long to set it up?
    VAN R nearly instant retail therapy and should be pretty much there.
    Elka - probably a fair wait, especially if they do set it up, dealer seems a bit unsure despite me pointing it out specifically. I could go direct and it's similar price assuming a customs hit, but again should be about there.

Can't find any s/h CCDB's 200x57

I think if I could find a CCDB for £370 or less I'd go with it, otherwise I'm leaning towards the Push Van R and put the DHX air on the bay, its only had 5 days use.

Feel free to abuse or advise me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    TLR-has a CCDB for sale but he wants more than a new one,Had a pushed DHX coil on the Fr for a while until i brought a CCDB,The push tuned dhx was very good but not up to the CCDB when the going gets realy rough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    TLR's is less than a new one I think.

Hey TLR are you still interested in selling the CCDB? PM me if you are.

What's your riding weight Norcosam, if that's not too personal a question?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I paid £300 for a used 3 times CCDB.
    I weigh an almost Anorexic 225lbs and ran a 600lbs spring on the FR.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    sheesh, so £290 for a pushed Van R, £450 for the Elka, or £470 for the CCDB.
    CCDB - instant retail therapy, but how long to set it up?
    VAN R nearly instant retail therapy and should be pretty much there.
    Elka - probably a fair wait, especially if they do set it up, dealer seems a bit unsure despite me pointing it out specifically. I could go direct and it's similar price assuming a customs hit, but again should be about there.

Can't find any s/h CCDB's 200x57

I think if I could find a CCDB for £370 or less I'd go with it, otherwise I'm leaning towards the Push Van R and put the DHX air on the bay, its only had 5 days use.

Pilot,
    What about BOS STOY, that's only £650.00?

I've done some research and it seems that the BOS has the best small bump sentsitivity, however there seems little to choose between the BOS, CCDB and Elka in performance overall from what I have read. Getting the BOS fixed might be a problem, perhaps? We all know CCDB are great on service and I have also heard good things about Elka's service. If you can get a used CCDB for £300, you really can't beat that?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    BOS Stoy looks very nice but £650 thats £200 more than a CCDB or indeed a CCDB with Ti spring.

Can't go more than the cost of a new CCDB especially when a pushed Van is nearly £200 cheaper.

IF I could find a CCDB for £300 I'd have it yesterday Under £400 would be very nice if its in top condition.

Can get a new one for £400 from the states shipped but assuming HMRC get their hands on it add 24% and its more expensive than the UK. I do have friends there and I travel there with work occasionally too...

I guess I'm not in a huge rush so can afford to hunt for a while, I am however somewhat impatient sometimes...

mtbr member
    I wouldn't pay much more than £300 for a used ccdb, as I would always get a 2nd hand shock/fork serviced as a matter of course. Ccdb service £90.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    perhaps a wtd ad on STW then? Hmmm that makes the new look more attractive.

Right it's a plan, keep an eye on the bay, check the piggy bank and see whether one turns up before my patience runs out!

"Its All Good"
    pilot, purchase my Nucleon TFR and you will get a free CCDB with Ti spring!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Too much bike for me Whafe, cripes I don't know what to do with the AM yet...

pm sent pilot

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Few change,s now set up is:
    Frame: Nicolai Helius AM, gloss white powdercoat with Extra Love Anodized Pivots and Bearing Covers, Maxle 135 x 12mm rear axle
    Rear Shock: CCDB (yeah baby, sticks like sh#t to a blanket)
    Fork: 2010 Fox 36 Float FIT RC2
    Headset: Chris King No Threadset
    Stem: Thomson X4
    Handlebar: Easton EA70 Monkeybar
    Seatpost: KS i900R ( how did I live without one!)
    Saddle: SDG Formula Ti
    Brakes: Hope Tech M4 Custom Red Ano with Goodridge Braided Hoses
    Rear Mech: Shimano Saint Shadow
    Cassette: Shimano SLX 11-28
    Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Howizter
    Chainset: Truvativ Hammerschmidt AM
    Left Shifter: SRAM X0 for Hammerschmidt with Hope Tech lever mount
    Right Shifter: Shimano XT M770 with Hope Tech lever mount
    Hubs: Chris King ISO Disc 32H Red
    Spokes: Sapim CX Ray Bladed Black with Red Nipples
    Rims: Stans Flow white powdercoat
    Tyres: Maxxis High Roller Rear, Minion Front 2.35 set up tubeless

2lbs heavier now @34lbs wet, until I settle on a spring rate and maybe go Ti. 450lb feels spot on at the moment tho.

Thinking about wider bars but need to it ride some more first before I decide, the EA's are an inch. narrower tham I'm used to.

Also chainged the decal to black extra love baby...so it's a bit less red. Brakes feel like they need more bite (after saints) organic pads in so gonna switch em to sintered...that's all for now...lovin it and the shizzle!!!!

mtbr member
    erm...pics?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

pilot - how heavy are you ?

sounds very very similar to my current set up........

tia

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    TLR I'm 71kg dry weight, 78-80kgs with all fluids ready to ride. Static Sag is about 27%. I thought it might be a bit firm but at Cannock in the clag (first proper outing), not the gnarliest, no real rocks, just brakIng bumps, I used probably 85% of travel and biggest compliment, didn't really notice the shock, the bike just worked. All settings stock.
    I thought I might need a softer spring but we'll see.
    I'll post some pics later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    TLR I'm 71kg dry weight, 78-80kgs with all fluids ready to ride. Static Sag is about 27%. I thought it might be a bit firm but at Cannock in the clag (first proper outing), not the gnarliest, no real rocks, just brakIng bumps, I used probably 85% of travel and biggest compliment, didn't really notice the shock, the bike just worked. All settings stock.
    I thought I might need a softer spring but we'll see.
    I'll post some pics later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Double post deleted!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    TLR I'm 71kg dry weight, 78-80kgs with all fluids ready to ride.
    Wow, that's a lot of bodily fluid.

Oh wait, you meant your camel back didn't you. Ooops

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ok, heres some pics of the latest incarnation. Waiting for some Chromag wider bars & Sunline thicker grips, done then
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-dsc_3815.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-dsc_3819.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-dsc_3822.jpg  

Nicolai Helius AM - Setup Database-dsc_3823.jpg  

Last edited by the_pilot; 12-18-2010 at 12:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sorry for the quality, getting dark, on camera flash (never great) biggish apeture lens...but you get the idea.

I can't believe the sensitivity of the CCDB compared to my previous air shock and remote Uppey-Downey posts rock

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ooh forgot, want some pukka flatties too as i'm a convert. I have Point One Racing Podiums on santas list but I dont hold out much hope! Has my very old V12 mags on.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Looks beautful, very well done

hope you got your Podiums, they are smashing pedals, if not i believe the Superstar Ultras Mag get some really good reviews and good bang for buck (plus they do em in red)

On a side note if any one from Nicolai frequents these boards, start speccing your HT with another 15-20mm on top, i dont think ive seen any set-ups without at least a small splattering of spacers

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast