"Its All Good"

Good job! Nicolai Helius AM (frame to full build coming)

Fellow Nicolai peeps

Really thought this needed a thread of its own...

Thanks to the boys that posted pictures of this new model frame from the team at Gravity Sports

Let us keep this thread going till this bad girl is fully built. Am watching like many others with great interest....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

'All over it!'
    I didn't think that this puppy was warrantied for coils shocks? I spoke to a dealer yesterday who assured me that the AM was only warrantied for air shocks? Whafe, can you confirm this? I have decided to sell the FR frame and was going to get the L, but now I have seen this puppy with a coil option, well I may have to reconsider......

banned
    Nic needs to make this as a travel bike.

Going to Eurobike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lornibear
    I didn't think that this puppy was warrantied for coils shocks? I spoke to a dealer yesterday who assured me that the AM was only warrantied for air shocks?
    In all the years I read the German Nicolai-support-forum, I never read something like that. Eventually it's a matter of personal preference, if you are more the coil or air guy . For sure, for some frames/purposes either air or coil is better suited, but ultimately it's your choice.

I can remember a thread a while back, where Falco said, if he would buy/own a Helius CC, it would be completly coil suspended (where most had/have air shocks).
    Last edited by Testmaen; 07-16-2008 at 05:37 AM.

"Its All Good"
    Lorni - Fundamentally, have to say that is quite disturbing that a dealer / LBS would say that. Because it couldnt really fly so to speak.... But could be well and truly wrong.... It is kinda like saying, you can only use and air fork on a bike and not able to use a coil fork.... One would just lift the middle finger and say put it where the sun dont shine....

JC - Agree fully, this would be great to get the same treatment the Helius CC Travel version gets... Would help me big time.... LOL

Testmaen - Good points as always...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

banned
    I could believe a frame could be designed strictly around a particular type of shock due to the leverage curves. Extreme rising rates would require extremely progressive shocks to help control bottoming. Coils tend to be closer to linear and use those bumpers to control bottom out. Also, frame closer to linear of falling rate would tend to need coils to get full travel.

Now we have a new generation of shocks with bottom out air assist (DHX), and other methods of bottoming and damping control through travel ranges, such as the CCDB which for the most part nullifies the differences, BUT there are notable exceptions, such as the DHXair woes where people blow through travel with high leverage.

Does anyone know what type of curve the Helius AM has?

"Its All Good"
    JC - This is precisely why it is good to have your technical know how and knowledge around, cause as we know, I am a total blonde on this topic, but you are correct re the leverage curves etc... Being different etc

Lorni - did the dealer mention to you re this fact, could well be why the statement may have been made.... If so, please excuse my comment above....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Guy's i will clear this up fast. This bike can take either or that's right from Nicolai the dealer that said that might of misunderstood what was being said to them. I would of never ordered one if i could not put a coil on the bike!

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    That is one sexy frame!

Is there a size/geo chart anywhere on it yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Lots of people have fitted coils to the CC without any problems (see other threads on this site), so why not on the AM? The official line from Nicolai Factory bans the use of coils on the CC, however Nicolai UK seem not to be concerned since I have corresponded with them on this matter and they have advised other customers wanting to fit coils to the CC. I'm fitting a CCDB to a CC soon and don't expect to have any problems.

wyrd bi ful rd
    i guess from the manufacturer's point of view ... the CC is a XC frame, they do not want to give the wrong message and so if a query comes in they will just reply, no, because, why would a XC bike needs a coil ... a coil is "usually" associated with FR or DH ...

that is the beauty of bikes in which the owner can decide for themselves whether their bike will be able to handle certain trail conditions ... a risk that you can or decide not to take ... the manufacturer will ensure that a XC frame will do all within "XC" and stay together ... if you need something stiffer, they will recommend an FR or the AM if you do not need a "FR" frame ...

i can vouch that a lot of FR users here, you know who you are ... can carry their bikes around a mountain as well as a lot of XC users out there ...

... a nicolai is a
    20080716 nicolai helius cc frame dtube MTBR FORUM.jpg
    ... they make their frames a lot stiffer than what it is intended to do ...

mtbr member
    some more pics below showing more detail.

I ordered the frame with a DHX-C so Nicolai obviously have no issues with that. however, the top hole of the travel adj has been blanked. Nicolai Uk are querying the reason for that now. Apperently this is the first in the UK so details are still a bit sketchy.

Weight without the rear axle and with the CCDB is bang on 4 kilo

Notice the new hose/cable guides. The top ones are actually mounted into a groove on the top of the front shock mount plates. They're then held by a bolted in cable guide back towars the seat tube. All very neat and tidy and shouldn't require any heli tape to protect the frame either.

Unfortunately i'm away now for 2 weeks so it won't get completed till I get back!

"Its All Good"
    dipper - Looking hawt, so we need to wait 2 weeks to see yours, sheesh.... This is like a long session of foreplay.................

Great pictures though, yet again for me Nicolai have blown my mind. The attention to detail etc etc is well so Nicolai...

mtbr member
    I've just had it confirmed that the top hole is to allow full travel with a 50mm stroke air shock. The 12mm rear end is to be standard and therefore no extra cost which is a bonus!

Can't wait to ride it. I loved my 08 FR so i'm hoping it's much the same but lighter. Can't see me using the travel adjust though if it pedals as well as the FR.

"Its All Good"
    We cant wait either till this is built and you review it for us...... Yeah ha

steep fast and loose :)
    by the time he get's back, it might not be his to review !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL.......

ye ken fit like min...

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    ... I've just had it confirmed that the top hole is to allow full travel with a 50mm stroke air shock ...
    i guess for the same reason that the FR has a different mounting position for coil and air shocks? i guess because there are so many different tyres out there with different profiles, nicolai does not want to risk the rear tyre hitting the seat tube at full compression?

the next question will be ... does that mean that with a coil (2.25" stroke) at the 2nd mounting position, the rear travel is still at 160mm? not likely eh? i am sure the spec of 115-160mm refers to usage with an air shock ...