steep fast and loose :)

Nicolai Helius AM + Chris King Steelset

Anyone know if the Helius AM frame is reamed, AND capable of taking the Chris King Steelset ?
    Will the internal area of the headset need to be faced to allow the insertion of the deeper cups ?

TIA

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yes its reamed and capable of taking the steel set you wont need to face inside its already done to take the deeper cups.

garry am - how do you know ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I asked Nicolai before I bought the frame and it says it in the catalogue / website, I also checked while building it (ps. I used to be a bike mechanic for Noah's when a student).

mtbr member
    simon. course it is! were you not there when i built it?!

mtbr member

????????????????????????????????????????????

Is it so hard to take a measurement to see how far down the headtube is reamed and compare it to the cup length???

What would you do if you got a flat tire on the road ?????

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Whoa there Yamon - time to wind it in a little. It was a perfectly reasonable question and I could quite understand if someone felt nervous about ruining their brand new £1800 frame with a school boy error.

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec

Csmf

Quote Originally Posted by YaMon
    Is it so hard to take a measurement to see how far down the headtube is reamed and compare it to the cup length???

What would you do if you got a flat tire on the road ?????
    Having a bad day?

I'm sure it's easier to ask the question than take the bike apart to see, since me and TLR's have our AM's built up at the moment, but the steelsets are being fitted very soon.

banned
    What's up with the weird stuff going on lately?

mtbr member

I am Old School......

Quote Originally Posted by derekr
    Having a bad day?

I'm sure it's easier to ask the question than take the bike apart to see, since me and TLR's have our AM's built up at the moment, but the steelsets are being fitted very soon.

I would re responsible to check my own frame. Just what "if" his frame was NOT reamed all the way?? Guess he would need an excuse to blame someone.

It is not difficult and would take about 5 minutes. This is not something I would trust anyone to do but myself. People need to be more responsible.

Yamon - you're trolling.
    Return to your little hole, under the bridge, and hope for another bite elsewhere.

See ya !

mtbr member
    Fitted a steelset to my FR this morning after a few minutes deliberating whether to do it or not. It went in like a rat up a drainpipe and I can't see it being difficult to remove either. On inspection there appeared to be about 25-30mm of reamed section to allow the cups to slide home with ease.

nice one paul - mine gets fitted next trip.
    derekr's got fitted to an AM on saturday and it bent the installation tool !
    not as much reamed section on the medium AM as the large FR / AM i think.
    any pics of the installation ?

mtbr member
    No pics were taken of the installation. It was no harder to fit than the Diabolous one that it replaced. The pimp side of me wishes it was bright red as the bronze finish is swallowed up by the black anodizing and doesn't jump out at all.

I'll post some pics of mine when i take some; Too busy riding this weekend to stop for pictures, I think Simon took a couple maybe.

It seems to stand out and reminds me of some gold plated PIMP jewlery!!!! Need to watch the chavs dont spot it on the car!

Yeah Simon is right, Richard bent the installation tool altho i'm not surprised as it needed a bit of brute force to install! I cant see it coming out easily but it shouldnt need to anyway.

Someone who recommended the Steelset bottled installing it due to form over function, so i think he should cover 50% of my cost incurred! (I'll mention no names!)

Derek

I would re responsible to check my own frame. Just what "if" his frame was NOT reamed all the way?? Guess he would need an excuse to blame someone.

It is not difficult and would take about 5 minutes. This is not something I would trust anyone to do but myself. People need to be more responsible.
    Get a grip, more responsible LOL! your good!

mtbr member

????????

[QUOTE= it bent the installation tool !
    not as much reamed section on the medium AM as the large FR / AM i think.
    [/QUOTE]

Yea, but the guy on the internet said it would be ok.......
    Thanks, you proved my point........

mtbr member

I'm not trolling, but I have to ask.......

Why in god's name would you want to install a set of steel headset on an AM frame if it is not ovalized?? I can understand installing a set on a FR or DH bike although it would still be to try and repair a headtube that has been slightly ovalized.

There are so many problems such as having dis-similar metals beside each other. Not being able to remove the HS if there are any damages. Trusting the right person to install without damaging the frame......

I have ridden with guys like T. Vanderham, Robbie Bourdon, Cam McCaul, Kyle Ebbett and with the extreme riding they all do, none of them have these mounted.

BTW- make sure they measure the headtube with a caliper to make sure that it is the proper diameter. It may have to be re-reamed. I don't suppose whoever is installing the headset is going to do that. Especially when you mentioned that the headtube was not reamed all the way down and they still tried to install the headset.The headset tool would NOt have bent if the tolerances on the installation instructions were correct. If the headset is NOT seated properly, you stand a decent chance of it ovalizing the headtube. I know, I used to own a metal fabricating company.......

mtbr member
    YaMon
    It was myself that installed the headsets on both ocassions(3 nicolais done this week in total). All 3 frames were properly sized and reamed 30mm inside the HT. They all went in fine. Damage to the tool was minimal(bit of burring from years of use, sorted with a dremel!)

Nicolai won't warranty the frame for ovalised HT's unless a headset with a min insertion of 22mm is used.

Listen! Bark Growl Blah Blah Blah

Why in god's name would you want to install a set of steel headset on an AM frame if it is not ovalized?? I can understand installing a set on a FR or DH bike although it would still be to try and repair a headtube that has been slightly ovalized.
    It has been fitted to avoid any warranty issues, and the headtube on my frame is sufficiently reamed to take the steelset, it will take 25mm cups I believe and the steelset is 22mm, Gravity Sports always have their handy Vernier gauge for $h1t like that. The question was only asked in advance about the depth as thatís one of the great things about these forums, people share information for the greater good; but you donít seem to grasp that.

http://www.nicolai-uk.com/index.php/...tion-headsets/

It's hard to take your serious post seriously after your "Angry old man" post's before, but thanks for your concern.

Best regards

Derek