Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    wyrd bi ful rd

Nicolai Helius AM 2008

thought i'd post some measurements for my medium AM frame ... note (+/- 5mm) accuracy except for the head tube length which should be quite accurate to 1mm.

20080820 am frame geometry MTBR FORUM.jpg

BB is 68mm
    Last edited by chinaman; 08-25-2008 at 03:52 PM.

wyrd bi ful rd

wyrd bi ful rd
    custom made chain stay protector ...

rear 12mm bolt thru and front 20mm maxle ...

20080823 building AM - 08 custom stay protector n rear wheel MTBR FORUM.jpg
    20080823 building AM - 09 front wheel MTBR FORUM.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Nice!!!

Looking forward seeing further "birthing" pictures!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    sweet...congrats on the new ride, chinaman!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Looking good! Chinaman, which Lyriks are those?

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    sweet...congrats on the new ride, chinaman!
    cheers cris ... will need to get you over here with the el T.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaman
    cheers cris ... will need to get you over here with the el T.
    yessir!

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by NICK-O-LAI
    Looking good! Chinaman, which Lyriks are those?
    they are the coils 110-160 ... they have so far held up ok ... have so far done about 400km in AM terrain and small drops only ...

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by Testmaen
    Nice!!! Looking forward seeing further "birthing" pictures!
    cheers Test more to come ...

wyrd bi ful rd
    More Birthing pictures ...

22 32 44 ... thinking about getting a chain tensioner and bash guard any recommendations ... are there any chain tensioner that i will still be able to use 3 rings???
    chain tensioner + bash guard OR just chain tensioner alone ...
    20080823 building AM - 11 cranks MTBR FORUM.jpg
    does using a short cage rear derailleur actually reduces chian skipping?

wyrd bi ful rd
    finger food???
    20080823 building AM - 12 controls MTBR FORUM.jpg

all that is left is to get this baby out for a walk tomorrow and cox it to get over the first few tentative steps ...
    20080823 building AM - 17 done MTBR FORUM.JPG.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Chinaman - are you riding around Holmbury tomorrow?? Am around myself from 8am till about 10.30am and would love to see it in the flesh!!

"El Whatever"
    China.... that ride is as sick as they get.

The bike and colours just blow my mind. I'd love a bike just like that one.

Gorgeous. Great, congrats bro!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Looking gooooooooood!

searcher
    very nice. Congrats! Am looking forward to read some ride report , too!
    Kovi

"Its All Good"
    looking very very cool indeed, love the stealth black look.... Looking forward to hearing how this puppy rides.....

Yeah ha.................................. Enjoy
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Nice colour scheme chinaman but then I'm biased

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Chinaman, see Helm for 3 ring chain device, now bought by E13 who are due to relaunch
    soon.

I like the raking top tube look of the AM. I will look out for you up at Leith Hill, when I get
    going again. Keep us posted about the ride. All the best.

Drink...sleep
    Not a fan of black myself, but a very nice bike nonetheless (has to be, it being a Nicolai ). Just shorten those brake cables perhaps for a cleaner look.

I think 2 rings would be enough for about everywhere for a bike like this. No need for the big ring, unless you're going to do lots of road miles. Put on a bashguard, switch the middle ring for a 36t and install a simple chainguide like the Blackspire Stinger .

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by heihei
    Chinaman - are you riding around Holmbury tomorrow?? Am around myself from 8am till about 10.30am and would love to see it in the flesh!!
    hey ... only got to read this post of yours about 12 hours too late ... dang! ... i was there from 12 to 3pm. will let you know if i am there next weekend ... it was really heavy going today ... i think i might be looking to down size the tyres ... currently running 2.3" michelin mountain dry 2 which weighs about 783 g each ... and mud sticks to it like glue.

wyrd bi ful rd
    warp ... i had to have it black ano ... no two ways about that ...

boozzz ... i know the hose is way too long for the rear ... will have to shorten that sometime ... but i could not wait any longer to get it out ... the front i have managed to tuck it around the lowers but will have to be kept slightly longer due to the fork travel adjustability ...

cheers kovi

there has been a lot of different speculation about the rear travel (167mm? 160mm?) and various adjustments and so i thought i give it a go at trying to measure the rear travel at various positioning ...

20080825 rear shock mounting position MTBR FORUM.jpg

I prop the bike up on a stand with the distance between the rear shock mounting position at 200mm, with the wheels touching the ground and took a vertical measurement of the axel to the ground ... so quite a bit of error there +/-5mm?

tried to moved the first position to 143mm, trying to replicate a shock of 2.25" at full compression (2.25"=57mm) ... the rear wheel will hit the tyre ... but with my shock above, i did notice that even though it is a 57mm travel shock, the actual distance of shock compression is less than 57mm ... if anyone has fiddled with their shock and noticed other than this, do let me know if i am right here ... my 57mm coil does not travel 57mm at full compression as well, there is the shock damper in place too restricting further compression ...

moving the second position to 143mm, the rear axel has moved up by 150mm (leverage of 1:2.63?), at this setting the distance of the first mounting position is more than 50mm and so if you do install a 50mm travel shock at the first mounting position, then the travel is actually less than if you were to use a 57mm travel shock at the second position.

moving the third position to 143mm, the rear axel has moved up by 135mm ... (leverage of 1:2.37?)

moving the fourth mounting hole to 143mm from the front mounting hole, the rear axel has moved up by 120mm

considering that the there is an error of about +/-5mm, it can make a lot of difference, so dont be surprised if nicolai comes out with some other figure ...
    Last edited by chinaman; 08-25-2008 at 03:51 PM.

wyrd bi ful rd
    took the bike out for a ride today ...
    weather ... wet and muddy ... climbs and descents and small drops about 1-2'

20080825 helius am right dirty close 02 MTBR FORUM.jpg

my only basis of comparison is with the my old helius cc which is a large with a coil and the am having a RP2.

i did not need the propedal at all ... it climbs really really well ... the rear track very well with no bobs ... but i have not had the luxury to ride a FS with the existance of bobbing ... so unsure how that felt ... i think it has to do with the 4 bar linkage more than anything else. i was not bottoming the rear shock at all but i was only running it at 10-15% sag and the max travel was only approx 65% travel. could be the mounting position as it is on the second hole from the bottom ...

i thought the seat angle was steeper than my cc but that could be due to me only having 140mm on the front whilst on my cc, i used to have the front forks at 135mm ... interesting to see how nicolai comes out with the spec ...

it is definitely a lot 'nippier' if there is such a word ... i can throw it around turns with ease ... very well balanced ... possibly because my cc was a large + being built heavy ie too big for me and so the cc did felt more sluggish ... i think a cc needs to be built below 30lbs at least, not more than 28 if possible ...

it is very stable at speeds on descents. that is all i can say ... ... excellant ride ... very happy with it to put it politely ...

more tweaking possible ... coil and different positioning ...
    Last edited by chinaman; 08-25-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast