Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

160s up front

Is anyone using 160mm forks upfront on a AC and do you know what the maximum rear travel is with a 55mm stroke shock?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Is anyone successfully using either a Fox RP23 or DHX Air 7.875 x 2.25 stroke? Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Leverage-ratio is 2,87 (=146/50.8), so max. travel with a 55mm shock should be 158mm.

Goes probably not without the tire hitting the seattube. Not to mention voiding the warranty.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Testmaen
    Leverage-ratio is 2,87 (=146/50.8), so max. travel with a 55mm shock should be 158mm.

Goes probably not without the tire hitting the seattube. Not to mention voiding the warranty.
    Testmaen... Can you confirm the shock reducer sizes for an AC??

22X6 and 49X8??? Where could I source the 49X8mm reducer? The common size is 50X8.

Also, what kind of leverage should one expect from the AC? Falling, rising, etc?? Thanks!!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm sorry, I have for none of your questions an answer.

You can always get the reducers from Nicolai.

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Warp: yeah i'd just get the reducers off Nicolai or somewhere like mojo or the likes.
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

mtbr member
    May 2009
    this tread really need more activity

Done some shock testing during this week - Ive been 100% satisfied with my EX200 (200 mm i2i, 55mm stroke) installed to second highest hole - no problemo with rubbing etc.. , but borrowed CCDB with 57mm stroke from friend owning FR-frame (who also build nice reducers for me) for testing purposes. Used still the 2nd highest hole without problems. Spring Ive tested is 450lbs Ti- spring, which is almost suitable but bit too hard - want more sag - have to call LBS are there any 350/400 springs available- low speed actions are brilliant but not yet found best adjustments for high-speed activity - CCDB feels to be bit slow

Any other tested CCDB with AC ? Any experiences? Anybody tried Fox DHX RC4 ? Any recommendations if there`s need for coil-shock suitable for wintertime usage (snow, slush, mud, minus-degrees, supercooled water... everything in same time) which offers same smoothness than EX200 ????

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Testmaen... Can you confirm the shock reducer sizes for an AC??

22X6 and 49X8??? Where could I source the 49X8mm reducer? The common size is 50X8.
    Nicolai informs in their tech sheet 24 x 6 and 49 x 8 and they are correct at least with my M-sized AC-frame. When measuring those by myself, got 23,6 and 48,6 and reducers what I use now are 23,5 x 6 and 48,5 x 8. Bit tight but still easy to handle. 22 mm in front will be too narrow, imho.

steep fast and loose :)
    pergamonx - great info on the 57mm stroke shock issue.
    Have you tried to wind out the HSC to zero ?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by pergamonx
    Nicolai informs in their tech sheet 24 x 6 and 49 x 8 and they are correct at least with my M-sized AC-frame. When measuring those by myself, got 23,6 and 48,6 and reducers what I use now are 23,5 x 6 and 48,5 x 8. Bit tight but still easy to handle. 22 mm in front will be too narrow, imho.
    Great info!!

NOw I have to hurry up to get those puppies...

Also, prime info on the shock. I'm glad to know my 57mm Romic will do the trick.

How do you find leverage? Linear, ramps up?
    I see that you're feeling happy with a coil over... nice!!!
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"

Got to get a AC 29er build up ;)

This bike is a single track beast, handles superb.......

* Frame, Size, & Color: Helius AC 29er Custom Tangerine Orange
    * Fork: RS Reba Team Dual Air 29er w/ Maxle lite
    * Shock: Fox RP23 (2010)
    * Brakes: Magura Marta SL (203mm Front, 180mm Rear)
    * Cranks: SRAM XX
    * Shifters: SRAM XX
    * Front Derailleur: SRAM XX
    * Rear Derailleur: SRAM XX
    * Pedals: Time ATAC XS Carbon
    * Stem: Thomson
    * Handlebar: Easton EA70
    * Seatpost: Thomson
    * Saddle: Selle Italia Yutaak
    * Bottom Bracket: SRAM XX Ceramic
    * Cassette: SRAM XX
    * Chain: SRAM XX
    * Headset: Chris King Ti
    * Grips: ODI
    * Front Tire: Continental Mountain King 2.4
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: Stans Flow / I9
    * Front Hub/Skewer: I9 / Maxle Lite
    * Rear Tire: Continental Mountain King 2.2
    * Rear Rim/Spokes: Stans Flow / I9
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: 12mm Maxel
    * Misc: Straitline Ti Bar Caps
    * Overall Weight: Need to re measure 28 lbs I think from memory

The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    pergamonx - great info on the 57mm stroke shock issue.
    Have you tried to wind out the HSC to zero ?
    Tried that too, but with the spring I got with CCDB and which was too hard. Found yesterday another spring, this time 400lbs steelish version and when changing the spring, adjusted all settings to factory ones. There was huge difference between old spring and this new one, got >35% sag and almost perfect smoothness / behaviour with low speeds - I had only few hours for testing late yesterday and not enough time really focus to high speed adjustments... will continue today and during weekend. But Ill wind HSC totally close too and reports will be available within next days.

Testing and adjusting is bit challenging just now - few minus-degrees and total darkness in evenings are nothing, but my local trails are just freezing and there`s still water enough that bike is totally covered with muddy ice after few minutes of riding
    And my high-speed suspension test trail is temporary out of use - it`s few hundred meters long trail nearby my house and normally there are huge number of slippery crossing roots laying 10 - 25 cm above hard terrain in a way there`s 30cm - 1m between those ... great place to test suspension (and drivers skills too) but now there`s 30 cm water / ice everywhere...After every testing there`s need for use gallons of hot water only for melt those icepacks away from drivetrain and wash all your outer clothes ...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    ... I'm glad to know my 57mm Romic will do the trick.
    How do you find leverage? Linear, ramps up?
    I see that you're feeling happy with a coil over... nice!!!
    Im sure 57mm Romic does the trick
    Even after not_yet_complited tests Ive done, I`m sure that my next shock will be with 57mm stroke. Ill do bit more testing with new (much better suitable) spring and write my feelings within next days. Actually there`s one issue making comparison so difficult - my baseline, EX200 is working so great in AC, that refining some other shock to meet that level takes time...

If there would be an option to test Romic here too, I`d like to do that. Unfortunately, I don`t know anyone here using Romics. One local LBS sells CC, but other nice options like Romic, Avalanche or BOS requires taking a risk and ordering one. Ive not yet decided shall I use this option, to order BOS STOY from TFTuned for example ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    a little video with the helius ac in action
    http://www.youtube.com/user/infiniproshop

a great bike this AC

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Not fair! Not fair at ALL!!!!

Look at this trail, look at that scenery, the weather ... you even wore shorts. And here it's windy, rainy and friggin' cold. Almost froze my feet of today on a 2.5 hrs ride. *argh*

I spotted a few changes on your bike: how is the Monarch/Pike combo ?

Sweet video btw!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yes i change the dtswiss for monarch and i have Pike instead of dtswiss exc150, but i wait for the new revelation xx 150mm.

The problem with the dt swiss shock is the platform setting, it's lock or open and i prefer the setting of monarch it's not completly lock like an rp23.

And for the fork i prefer the look of the RS revelation, then the dtswiss work very well.

So the combo monarch/pike is very good too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Do you have a current picture of your setup, maybe a nice side profile shot ?

I like new Revelation design, too. Looks very, ah, "masculin" .

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I found some frame detail shots of a AC with Conehead headtube. Unfortunately no picture of the full frame.

"Its All Good"
    Testmaen, yes I agree it is a great looking fork. Have a new 170 mm Lyric arriving this week to put on the FR....

Great shots of part sof the AC frame too.... Very much like my 29er ..... LOL
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    No i wait for the revelation and i do it after ;-)

testy - we NEED fully built shots of that conehead AC + blue Xtra Love please

cyril - thanks for the video.
    that video shows why most UK mountain bikers are over-biked imo.
    the AC looks like it'll take ANYTHING regular trail riding could throw, yes ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    testy - we NEED fully built shots of that conehead AC + blue Xtra Love please
    No can do. I found the pics on the website of a German bike-shop. As I said unfortunately no complete picture of the frame.

The only 2 Nicolai's with Conehead I've seen so far, are these ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    cyril - thanks for the video.
    that video shows why most UK mountain bikers are over-biked imo.
    the AC looks like it'll take ANYTHING regular trail riding could throw, yes ?
    yes he do and he can do much more

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Stunner of a bike from the Nicolai custom bikes blog.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast