Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    One "new" Helius AC here in Finland -

* Rider height, weight, ride style e.g XC, endurance,trail, hucker etc -
    178 cm, 70 kg - targeted for XC- weighted bike with enduro- geometry and capabilities ..
    * Frame, Size, & Color: Helius AC, standard M-sized - white frame with black ano rear triangle and black links
    * Fork: DT Swiss EXC150
    * Shock, i2i, stroke: DT Swiss EX200, 200 mm / 55 mm
    * Brakes: front Hope M4, rear Hope X2
    * Cranks: XT, Blackspire 24 / 34 rings, Blackspire rockring and Blackspire chain tensioner
    * Shifters: SRAM X-9 SL grippers, white
    * Front Derailleur: SRAM X7
    * Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9
    * Pedals: XT
    * Stem: Hope 50 mm / 25 degrees / red
    * Handlebar: Easton Monkeylite DH Carbon high-rise, cutted to ~680mm
    * Seatpost: so far Thompson Elite, Cobra i900 is waiting for installation..
    * Saddle: WTB Rocket V Stealth
    * Bottom Bracket: Hope steel / ceramic
    * Cassette: SRAM 970
    * Chain: SunRace
    * Headset: Cane Creek 110 onefive
    * Grips: ODI Rogue 90 mm with locks
    * Front Tire: Conti RQ 2.4 UST with Stans
    * Front Rim/ Spokes: DT Swiss 5.1d / Dt Swiss comp
    * Front Hub/Skewer: DT Swiss 240s / 15mm RWS
    * Rear Tire: Conti RQ 2.2 UST with Stans
    * Rear Rim: DT Swiss 5.1d / Dt Swiss comp
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: DT Swiss 240s / 10mm RWS
    * Cables: Goodridge
    * Overall Weight: approx 13,3 kg`s

Thanks for jiipee `bout the picture (it`s jiipee`s Helius FR laying in background) , taken today before our ride today - more images will be taken when here`s too bad weather for biking
    Attached Images Attached Images

steep fast and loose :)
    pergamonx - ride impressions ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugtree
    My cow weighs 33lbs, about the same as my CC

Blimey.Thats a lot my fr is only 2lbs heavier.

mtbr member
    pergamonx@ beautiful ride enjoy !
    Sorry my poor language, big fan for the google translate.....

mtbr member
    Nice

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    pergamonx.....

Nice build
    Nice bike.
    How are the dt forks?

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Very nice perg; i'm a little confused where the AC sits in the grand scheme of things as there so little weight difference between it and the AM plus the fact the AM can also run @ 140mm, be nice if Nicolai could define some limits so we know how capable each model is. If i'm gona order a trail only bike i;d expect sub 30lbs really (Altho i dont really care about weight) so would be interesting to know whats what.
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by derekr
    Very nice perg; i'm a little confused where the AC sits in the grand scheme of things as there so little weight difference between it and the AM plus the fact the AM can also run @ 140mm, be nice if Nicolai could define some limits so we know how capable each model is. If i'm gona order a trail only bike i;d expect sub 30lbs really (Altho i dont really care about weight) so would be interesting to know whats what.

Pergs one is less than 30lbs

mtbr member
    May 2009
    @norcosam - so far DT Swiss fork / shock has been even better than expected - first time trying those, not many more here in my neighborhood
    Took 30 mins to find suitable adjustments to both of them and now, after maybe 25 driving hours fully satisfied. They`re super-smooth and works fine everywhere Ive ridden. Like the suspension curve - in the beginning soft and fast, after that nicely progressive ... feels like suspension is bottomless..
    Few friends with more experiences `bout different forks /shocks have tried mine and general comment has been "amazing" - my old combination was Fox Float 32 RLC-08 (120mm) and RPL23-08 and definately these new ones works better.
    On the longer run - don`t know. Know the history of DT Swiss suspension products and reputation of Pace forks ... reliability is still not-known, there`s no that kind of experience enough. But Im happy with those thingies so far they does work

Nicolai
    Quote Originally Posted by pergamonx
    @norcosam - so far DT Swiss fork / shock has been even better than expected - first time trying those, not many more here in my neighborhood
    Took 30 mins to find suitable adjustments to both of them and now, after maybe 25 driving hours fully satisfied. They`re super-smooth and works fine everywhere Ive ridden. Like the suspension curve - in the beginning soft and fast, after that nicely progressive ... feels like suspension is bottomless..
    Few friends with more experiences `bout different forks /shocks have tried mine and general comment has been "amazing" - my old combination was Fox Float 32 RLC-08 (120mm) and RPL23-08 and definately these new ones works better.
    On the longer run - don`t know. Know the history of DT Swiss suspension products and reputation of Pace forks ... reliability is still not-known, there`s no that kind of experience enough. But Im happy with those thingies so far they does work
    i second that, i had them on my AM, and they will be on my AC! i just recieve the EX200 few days ago and hell its lighT! 13kg is my target now! Whoo Hoo!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    ...still back to those dampers
    Lightness was not the reason why I took those DT Swiss- fork / shock (I`m not a weight weenie - measured my bike only because everyone asked the weight and I got tired to answer don`t actually know...), main reason was to get an experience - there are many thinking those, but one very few have used those.
    There was quite nice alternatives, from tuned Wotan to 2010 Talas ... but you drive with only
    one fork at a time
    About the same with shock - I know that EX200 / 200mm - 55 mm is bit against Nic`s recommendations and therefore I don`t use the top hole, but the second. Im also thinking at least test some nice coil-shock for wintertime usage, there are quite many testing shocks available from my friends - let`s see ...
    Overall-performance with this combination has been surprising, (Im still bit careful with my judgement, because theres still only <30 hours of testing done) but with my old rig there were situations in every drive that when I failed to do something, I knew that at least one small part of reason was behaviour of suspension, not only my poor driving skills. But with this new one, those earlier so challenging sections are piece of cake to drive and - I still fail sometimes - there`s no need to claim bike, only lack of my skills
    So, my conclusion is simple - in my case, new bike has helped me to drive more better...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    pergamonx - ride impressions ?
    @T_L_R - there are some general mentions in my post above, but few more comments-

It was my plan to get quite up-right stance building quite short cockpit, because I use most of my time with tricky technical sections, not rolling very fast on open singletracks. With short stem and high-rise bar it`s now perfect in my taste ... It`s still nimble enought, fully comparable in that meaning with my old GF Hifi Pro, even bit better. It`s nice climber too,
    rear end does not bob at all and only limit when climbling is grip of rear tyre and what has maybe been the biggest surprise, is the balance even in steepest uphills, the front end is not aiming to the sky - even without lowering the fork... In other words, it`s easy to keep my balance in most efficinent place. Also when pedalling with force in easy trails or in roads, I`ve not even thought the need of any kind of locking options to dampers.

Of course there are few things still Im not yet fully familiar ... handlebar is 20 mm wider than older and fingers have got too many hits from trees (we`ve here a lot of narrow paths..) and there`s need to get more lay-back to seat post ... but it`s very very near the rig I wanted.

pergamonx - have you had any pedal strike yet ?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    @T_L_R - approx one / every 5 mins - but those ones are because my incompetence - much less compared to my old rig - like the higher BB

Actually I tried Truvative Stylo cranks (black ano) few days and noticed that they were not really black anymore - one more reason to use plain silver / alu cranks ... Bigger reason for changing (back) to XT-cranks was incompability issue with Hope BB, Truvativ adapters does not work with Hope - there`s no way to tighten cranks enought.

seems pedal strike is now more common as a consequence of improve "all-mountain" handling.......?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    @T_L_R - yes and no -

higher BB means less strikes in same lines, easier capability to steer over the rocks instead of trying to steer_between means less strikes, more difficult lines / "can I do that`s" means more ... maybe net is `bout the zero

Nicolai

* Rider height, weight, ride style e.g XC, ,trail, leisure etc -
    165 cm, 60 kg
    * Frame, Size, & Color: Helius AC, custom Sized - Anodized Red with black seatstay, black rocker, red caps all round.
    * Fork: DT Swiss XmC130
    * Shock, i2i, stroke: DT Swiss XR carbon, 200 mm / 55 mm
    * Brakes: front Magura Marta SL
    * Cranks: XTR
    * Shifters: SRAM X0
    * Front Derailleur: XTR
    * Rear Derailleur: SRAM X0
    * Pedals: ??
    * Stem: Thomson 70mm
    * Handlebar: Raceface Carbon
    * Seatpost: Tune
    * Saddle: Stalia Italia, carbon rail
    * Bottom Bracket: XTR
    * Cassette: SRAM 990
    * Chain:Shimano XTR
    * Headset: Blackspire Deepcup Black
    * Grips: Monty Sponge
    * Front Tire: Conti Mountain King 2.2 black chilli
    * Front Rim/ Spokes:ATomlab Pimplite / pillar racing Titanium
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Atomlab / QR15
    * Rear Tire: Conti Mountain King 2.2 black chilli
    * Rear Rim: ATomlab Pimplite / pillar racing Titanium
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: 12mm thru maxle lite/ Atomlab 6 pawl
    * Cables: Magura/ Shimano
    * Overall Weight: approx 12.5kg!
    Last edited by AttitudeBikes; 10-19-2009 at 06:57 PM.

12 hours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nicolai
    actually seven... haha together with the green UFO DS anodized green buld up wih KOWA front fork... we had a greta ride last week and the shop is now flooded with Nic, almost all came back to my shop for a gathering! haha

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Seems like you have an enjoyable job. Looking at Nicolai's all day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    FYI:

Falco said in a thread in the German Nicolai forum on a tire-seattube-rubbing-issue, that the max. travel of 146mm is achieved with the shock mounted in the 2nd hole from the top with a 50,8mm stroke shock. The top position can't be used.

Nicolai
    hi test..

any issue if you were to use a 55mm stroke rear shock?, like one of the guys here and claim to have a 155mm travel at 2nd hole on a helius AC ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I don't know, I'm neither a AC owner, nor Nicolai.

I could imagine however, that a 55mm shock could work without collision in the 3rd hole. But make sure, make a collision test either way.

Nicolai
    3rd hole works fine for now fantastic feel compares to the 50.8 on a mornach...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ive shock with 55mm strike mounted to second top hole without rubbing problems. Nice guy in LBS adviced not to use top hole with 55mm strike.... anyway- got psi`s out from shock when similating bottoming and with 2nd top hole no clearance problems (tyre was RQ2.2)

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast