Fat & Single
    love those welds
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    yes he work great and with the dtswiss it's very close to an AM (157mmAC 160mmAM)

if you are a 70kgs weight with a clean riding style, you can put a 160mm fork and ride as fast as a 160mm frame in DH marathon or enduro

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

@ Mugtree and Cyril ...

@ Mugtree and Cyril

How do you like the climbing abilities with your fixed travel forks ? Does the front wheels rise early ? Since you both run a few spacers too, I was wondering ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Testmaen
    @ Mugtree and Cyril

How do you like the climbing abilities with your fixed travel forks ? Does the front wheels rise early ? Since you both run a few spacers too, I was wondering ...
    for my point of view the climbing abilities is excelent, then my frame is a tailor with HA at 67° for 530mm fork, the other lenght are standard.

my legs give up before the climbing performance of the frame.

Nicolai
    hi cyril,m

i just sold my AM for AC , but was worried about the endless travel feeling i had on my AM when its was with the EXC 150mm front fork and rear marzocchi roco air with 57mm stroke places at 150mm travel on the rear.

as per in my comfrimation with Nicolai they recomman a DT swiss with 50mm strok rear shock. meaning i will only get max 146mm travel... is the tire touching very bad on the frame as i would very much like a longer rear stroke, i,e, 55mm as my last rear shoc was 57mm?? And sad to say, i do set my shock relatively plush with between 28-30% sag...

w want the AC to do the job of my AM back then

Nicolai
    the X9 shifters works with the hammer schmidt too?>

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AttitudeBikes
    hi cyril,m

i just sold my AM for AC , but was worried about the endless travel feeling i had on my AM when its was with the EXC 150mm front fork and rear marzocchi roco air with 57mm stroke places at 150mm travel on the rear.

as per in my comfrimation with Nicolai they recomman a DT swiss with 50mm strok rear shock. meaning i will only get max 146mm travel... is the tire touching very bad on the frame as i would very much like a longer rear stroke, i,e, 55mm as my last rear shoc was 57mm?? And sad to say, i do set my shock relatively plush with between 28-30% sag...

w want the AC to do the job of my AM back then
    I don't understand very well all that you said, but :

1/ you must mount a shock with maximum 55mm (dt swiss xm180) provide around 155mm of ravel and some time in maximum compression tire touch seat tube, then nicolai recommande 51mm strocke for shock, i use dt swiss with 35% of sag (my wheigt 70kgs) and i never use maximum compression.

2/ 57mm strock is too much

My feeling is that the rear shock is very progressive, the travel used is always 90% then you have to do drop upper than 1 meter to use maximum strocke.

So my setting is good for me and my trail with a lot of rocks and dry terrain.

Nicolai
    thanks cyril, i understand your answers you didnt get your rear shock from nicolai didnt you? my problem now is colour./..
    Last edited by AttitudeBikes; 09-03-2009 at 10:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    No, but nicolaļ can provide this one (dt swiss xm180) and i recommande you to do that because the shock axle is exactly the good one (i have some trouble to have the right one with dtswiss)

Nicolai
    i can deal DT here but they don stock up, i have to order them , i ordered some ex200s, with 55mm stroke. Nicolai recommanded 200mm by 50mm when i ask for XR carbon. Although XR carbon does come witha 200x55 thought,,, not sure if i shall go for it like you do

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Cyril the AM is 167mm for the record.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Testmaen
    @ Mugtree and Cyril

Hiya Testmaen.

I've just got back from a couple of weeks in the Alps where I spent way to much time going up hill. Saying that though the bike climbs beautifully, even on the really steep stuff it was easy to keep the front wheel down. I tented to loose traction before anything else.

Hope this helps?

"El Whatever"
    How tall is the BB on an AC??

I've found the BB drop on Nicolai's page and that gives me a rough calculation of 346mm with a 520mm A2C Pike... That's 13.65" (approx) for those metric challenged.

But that's theory over a bike unseen... how about real life ones?

Just guessing as the 13.7 felt really good on my Switchblade with the same fork, but the AC would ride slacker at the front and steeper at the back, which will be nicer.

Any help is appreciated!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugtree
    Hiya Testmaen.

I've just got back from a couple of weeks in the Alps where I spent way to much time going up hill. Saying that though the bike climbs beautifully, even on the really steep stuff it was easy to keep the front wheel down. I tented to loose traction before anything else.

Hope this helps?
    Hey Mugtree,

thanks for your reply! How do you like the AC compared to your previous CC ? A lot of difference ? From your pictures i cannot spot a lot of differences in the build...

Good to hear that it climbed so well in the Alps. Was wondering since you're riding it with a setback post and the some spacer and (what looks like?!) a short stem.

Did you choose the coil and Rohloff setup mainly for reliability reasons ? Not that they aren't good gear, they're excellent, but you don't see them very often combined on a bike in that class.
    Last edited by Testmaen; 09-15-2009 at 03:52 PM.

"El Whatever"
    More questions...

Is the 22mm deep headset insertion rule applicable to the AC? It says so on the pdf at Nicolai's page. Is that dependent on the fork used? Better put, strictly needed for a RS Pike?

I'd hate to dump my CK... but then frame's integrity is better than bling.

Now, reducers for the shock... 24 X 6 and 49 X 8??? Is that correct?

BTW... the bike pictured on NIcolai's site has a Fox (Vanilla 150mm??) which is more or less same Axle to Crown as a Pike and it has a normal headset. The CC can run a max fork of 520mm A2C and also runs a normal headset.

Mugtree... did you asked Nicolai or your dealer when deciding on the CK headset??

Sorry for that many questions...
    Last edited by Warp; 09-18-2009 at 07:05 AM.
    Check my Site

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Would the spacers not be both 8mm for a shock?
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by derekr
    Would the spacers not be both 8mm for a shock?

Not necessarily... My Switchblade uses 49 X 8 and 30 X 6. The front eyelet sees more or less the same force as the rear one, but much less twisting. That is the size of the bolt used and a 6mm bolt is enough.

That said, I'd prefer them both 8mm, but 6 for the front does just fine on a bike like this.

I'm asking if the sizes are correct...
    Check my Site

Ah i c no worries, never seen that before acording to the tech sheet thats spot on!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    all that you said is correct, so a 150mm forck is more 530mm not 520mm as a pike.

for headset i us acros ah07

"Its All Good"
    Warp - You would be fine with the CK Headset you have on the SB...

When my Healius AC 29er arrives, I will be running a CK headset.

CK HS = Todo Bien
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Warp - You would be fine with the CK Headset you have on the SB...

When my Healius AC 29er arrives, I will be running a CK headset.

CK HS = Todo Bien
    That's great news... Thanks, man!
    Check my Site

I think the 22mm headset is a suggestion not a must have, only downside would be if the warranty is voided, but the chances of ovalisation on a Nicolai are slim due to the build quality!

Would the AC pedal ALOT better than say a nonius?

I'm also looking for a trail bike and fancied the nonius but i'd like it to pedal well.

Fat & Single
    Me too derek , but i reckon i'll be getting a 29er hardtail for racing ! It would be nice to splash a bucket load of loot on say similar to whafes secret bling number, but i have too many other interests that involve bucket loads of cash forgive me for being blasphemous but im getting quite settled on a Vassago Bandersnatch (sounds crap) but i only need it for <5% riding, its a steel hardtail 29er with a slack geo. I absolutely love my AM and it will be #1 for a long long time so dont want to have another mega buck bike sitting there doing nothing , i already bought a expensive carbon race bike and sold it after 3 rides so i know what use the 29er will get
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Yeah

Well now i'm getting the AFR (Perfect mega avalanche bike) i really need a smaller bike for trail riding and i love the look of the nonius and its quite cheap but the problem is i have no idea if it'll pedal well being a single pivot! The AC is big money compared so its a hard one

Derek

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast