Drink...sleep

Nicolai hardtail project - too hardcore?

Living back in Holland has made me realize I need a different bike for the Dutch mountains (as you probably know, there are none). So I've got this idea forming in my head I need a hardcore singlespeed cross country bike, and it really needs to be a Nicolai. It's still in the idea fase, and I haven't got the funds together yet, but still thought it a good idea to hear your thoughts on this one.

The Argon hardtail caught my eye, especially since they can build a 29er version of it. I'm thinking a singlespeed 29er might be ideal for the lack of mountains and type of trails (quite smooth as in no big rocks, but reasonably stuttery, mainly because they are so overused) we have here, with the big wheels maybe making the ride slightly more compliant and smooth.

I'm just not too sure on the stiffness of the Argon frame, not sure if having a mega-stiff framed hardtail 29er is a good idea. I mean I've ridden a Scott Scale here which was alright, but 26", and the Nicolai will surely be far stiffer. Just don't know if the big wheels will make the ride any more comfortable on such a frame or that I will just kill off my arse anyway (the same reason I would never buy a Nicolai road bike). Rambling on a bit here, but am I just being stupid and should I maybe get a more widely accepted 'standard' steel frame for a project like this? And should I even go 29er?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Boozz, never ridden a Nicolai hardtail but can recommend an Evil Sovereign if you find
    one?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    for compliance with stiffness I would look at steel....On One Inbred 29er perhaps?

the Argon is sweet...for an SS HT I'd probably go with the On One...

local trails rider
    I have not ridden an Argon but have another stiff HT: Banshee Scirocco. The power transfer is awsome but the stiffness does work you over rocks and roots.

The On-One is definitely a great value and it works.

For tough steel 26er HTs in Europe, I'd also take a look at Cotic, 2soulscycles, Dialled Bikes, maybe Curtis if you want semi-custom.

"Its All Good"
    Boozzz - I think the concept is perfect for you 50 foot sand dune climbs... LOL

No in all seriousness, a 29er SS would be a great steed for your terrain in your homeland. The boys make some good calls, may well be a good idea to see how you like a SS 29er on a cheaper frame, then if you like it, splash out on the Argon.....

I have thought and studied hard re a Nicolai 29er, Karl has said no problem, they can build me one. But I think some experience is needed in building 29er frames. I do hope though that Nicolai begins to build some 29ers.....

When it is all boiled down, run your tires half a pound in pressure less and the gain you get from a steel or ti frame is gone.........
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Drink...sleep
    Thanks for the recommendations guys, will check them out soon when Ive got some time on my hands. Whafe, indeed it might not be a bad idea to start with a cheap frame first. Then again, that doesnt give you the pleasure of building up a Nic , which is of course a big part of the fun. But it might save money, mustnt end up as a piece of art on my wall .

wyrd bi ful rd
    a 29er argon will be an art on the road !!!

... Boozzz ... just imagine off-road tyres on the Argon treking bike in the other thread, without the rear rack or mud guards and bike stand ... i dont think you can go wrong.

steep fast and loose :)
    although not a 29'er, or a SS i love my Hummer.

mtbr member
    I'm a bit biased as I love steel hardtail frames although ti would be nice (always liked the hummer myself but some earlier quality issues put me off) however I've never felt the need to go ti when steel still gives me everything I need in a HT.
    I spent two years in South Holland and most of that time was spent on an 853 tubed hardtail with 100mm forks. 2.25 racing ralphs were the tyre of choice. I think my next hardtail frame will be a custom built steel one but more suited to Scottish riding so capable of taking long forks. If I was still in Holland a Groovy frame would be top of my list. They do a lovely 29er singlespeed.
    http://groovycycleworks.com/default.aspx

Drink...sleep
    Those are some great looking frames Yetiman, thanks for pointing them out to me, would probably never have found them myself. Racing Ralphs still the tyres of choice here, with most of the trails just being lots of sand, as you probably well know. Man, I do miss the UK, even though Cambridge wasn't great, it was still more fun than you could have here, with of course places like the Peak District not too far away and even the Surrey Hills...way better than anything nearby Amsterdam.

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozzz
    ... do miss the UK, even though Cambridge wasn't great, it was still more fun than you could have here, with of course places like the Peak District not too far away and even the Surrey Hills ... way better than anything nearby Amsterdam ...
    then we need to remedy a friend in need of a bit of speed, drops and steep inclines and we should arrange another ride to somewhere ... say Glentress?

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaman
    then we need to remedy a friend in need of a bit of speed, drops and steep inclines and we should arrange another ride to somewhere ... say Glentress?
    Yes! Ready to book a ticket anytime! Lorni, if you're reading this, how's your knee doing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozzz
    Those are some great looking frames Yetiman, thanks for pointing them out to me, would probably never have found them myself. Racing Ralphs still the tyres of choice here, with most of the trails just being lots of sand, as you probably well know. Man, I do miss the UK, even though Cambridge wasn't great, it was still more fun than you could have here, with of course places like the Peak District not too far away and even the Surrey Hills...way better than anything nearby Amsterdam.
    No problem Boozzz, when you mentioned 29er singlespeed I thought of Groovy. They recently built a Rohloff hardtail for a Dutch client. Here's a pic from the blog page http://bp3.blogger.com/_dvLPcAqaAiw/...ink+tulips.bmp

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hi all,

I was also thinking of putting together a singlespeed Argon (if only there was an RC version as well as the CC). I hadn't thought about the 29er option but I noticed that Nicolai have said they will be offering carbon belt drives as an option for 2009. I must say I found that very tempting!

http://www.nicolai-uk.com/index.php/...-carbon-drive/

My aim is to build something British winter-proof for training on and for use duing 24 hour events if they dissolve into mudbaths!

Now I just need to put together the grand and a bit for the frame and custom paint job. Oh dear!