mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Nicolai entered in to the 2012 Tour D'Afrique

Powered by a over weight fecker. Me.

So in exactly 6 months I'll be sitting in front of the pyramids ready to start the small journey to Cape Town.

I'm doing it to raise money for a charity called build africa, the hope is to raise enough to build an entire school, somewhere in Kenya.

I've created a website for people to keep up to date with my progress, both before the race, with training equipment and fundraisers etc, and then regular updates during the race whenever possible.

The total amount will be declared once we know which school I shall be helping and the work that is required at that school.

Hopefully the company I work for will be matching the funding, and despite some nay-sayers I'm adament that with hard work the amount we need to raise can be raised. So if your going to say it's impossible don't even both posting.

The website is http://www.tda2012.com feedback about it is welcome, any way which I can improve it and any content which can be added. I plan to add a section on equipment, and a section on training.

Any support is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Nice website and best of luck with the trip. I hope you and the Nicolai make it!

I've subscribed to the RSS feed for your website and will see how you go.

Well, whatever happens, it'll be an unforgettable experience.

chilliinleeds
    Jun 2010
    Nice one, i'd never heard of this before today, WOW! Good luck with the ride and the fundraising.

mtbr member
    That's awesome Ian. Proper commitment. That would take balls even if you were a 10stone whippet! Good luck and I'll be sure to sponsor you.

It would be interesting to know what bikes a lot of the competitors use but then i guess your requirements will be slightly different(ie no 20lb xc bikes). for comfort and speed with the required strength I'd guess the ac 29er would be spot on. I certainly can't think of a nicolai I'd rather do such a distance on than that
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    That's awesome!

I'd try to ask Nicolai (if you want them to be involved) for sponsorship. I'm sure they help in some form or the other, maybe not a bike/frame, but maybe spares etc..

Looking forward to your blog updates!

Nicolai
    Good luck and all the best! With a good soul like your im sure luck will definitely be at your side!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    A few quick updates, a donations page has now been created and is avaliable through the website.

Thanks for all you messages of support. The bike I shall be doing it, as dipper said, is indeed an Argon cc 29er, not sure of the exact spec at the minute but will be narrowed down as he time goes. Biketart are sponsoring me and providing the bike for me. Biketart.com: performance bikes, components and accessories so yeah big thanks to Adam.

5 months and 10 days left, I suppose I best try out this xc riding thingy stuff.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    For those of you interested.....

So I am off in 5 days and after a 7 month wait for my frame, the bike is finally built up. With the exception of a brooks saddle which is on my other one.

it is an xl argon cc29er, and I must say it does all look in proportion!

DSC00067 by ianpindir, on Flickr

DSC00066 by ianpindir, on Flickr

DSC00065 by ianpindir, on Flickr