mtbr member
    Feb 2010

The Nicolai is Christened. God bless.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    This is my recently built Helius CC, taken out on an awesome ride in the Peaks. I descended a trail that I hadn't been on before, towards Rowlee Farm, past Hope Cross for those that know it. The trail soon turned into a typical Peak district rock garden with baby head sized rocks acting like giant marbles under the wheels. I felt like a mouse trying to run across a gravel driveway. Anyway I just decided to go for it and about halfway down my left foot got knocked out of the pedal. I clipped back in and continued, and then it happened again. When I got home and cleaned it, this is what I found. I don't suspect it will affect the overall strength of the frame, its just unusual for me seeing this as I have ran an 853 HT for the last six years experiencing rock strikes with no dents. I'm not complaining though, I'm sure I wouldn't have chosen the lines on the HT that I did on the CC! It's one of those times that I probably would have wanted an AM or something, but when I climb back out of the valley I'm glad I have a CC!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Defo not the proper frame to ride DH but I feel for you...

Otherwise there are well thought protections for the downtube, such as this stuff:

http://www.probikeshop.fr/skean-prot...pho/62432.html

A bit late but it can be useful for other people.

steep fast and loose :)
    soulwood - that WILL affect structural integrity i'm afraid to say..............

unlucky

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Soulwood,

Ignore TLR.It will make no difference to the frame

steep fast and loose :)
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Soulwood,

Ignore TLR.It will make no difference to the frame

why - yield is a consequence of linear integrity and in this instance the integrity is breached.

who knows when it will fail, but consequent to the impairment, there exists increased potential for failure.

QED.

mtbr member
    it's some small dents in a fat tube. it'll be fine.....
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have read all the stuff about material yield and eventual fail, as aluminium has a shorter life span than steel in comparison. I also read the Nicolai warranty concerning proper usage of the frames and noted a small section about rock strikes. The way I understand it, if Nicolai thought that a rock strike would result in a catastrophic failure, then like Trek and so on with their carbon frames, I would have thought they themselves would be designing some sort of "armour" to fit on the down tube. Needless to say it is checked regularly to see if cracks/wrinkles are appearing. In the mean time I may consider using some rubber matting zip tied to the down tube, as I'm sure that anymore dings of that size in the same location may not be good...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    TLR's linear integrity was compromised a long time ago and he has already failed many times so I guess his argument must stand.

Like Dipper says, it's some dents in a down tube. They happen. End of. It's the difference between text book physics and the real world.

I did exactly the same thing to my Ion ST, a freakin DH bike, after the first ride. Put a decent size dent just infront of the weld that joins the DT to the BB.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Send a photo to Nicolai and see what they say.I would think the reply will be "Go out and ride"

I have put much bigger dents in frames and kept riding,It wont fail

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Geetee, you must have been a bit gutted at that! You didn't say what happened to that frame...

The reason I haven't freaked out at it as I used to work in the bike industry as a grease monkey (many moons ago) and saw many many dinks in aluminium frames. Apart from a cosmetic point of view, they were fine, part of the reason I kept it "real with steel" for so long. But then nobody is going to make a FS out of Reynolds 853 are they...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Soulwood - the frame continued to be used for about 18 months without any issues whatsoever. It wasn't really gutted because it was in a place you couldn't see and let's face it, it was a DH bike so it was always going to be abused. I actually sold the frame at the start of the summer and chap who bought it wasn't at all bothered.

There are a few full-suss frames made from steel; perhaps not 853, but steel nevertheless. The Superco Superfly is one example as is the Brooklyn Machine Works Racelink.