mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Nicolai AL vs Steel vs Ti..

hi all.. i know not all AL frames are the same.. but for Nicolai owners with more than one bike(steel/Ti) in their stable, how does Nicolai AL compare?
    currently i am riding a custom steel HT, but i do not miss my previous FS(SC/Trek) at all. i would suspect its bcos of the frame material, cos the 2 AL FS i had felt very different on the trails.

so how does Nicolai fare in this?

need to ask as i hv been eyeing the AC for a while now.. really attracted by the possibility of the options Nicolai have, not to mention the workmanship as well.. but its quite pricey n i would like some feedback on this b4 i commit

thanx all

steep fast and loose :)
    my nicolai has lasted longer than my cove hummer fwiw.

however nicolai is suspension and the ti HT's arent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I personally don't see much point in Ti full suspension bikes. But that's just me...

I have 3 Nicolai's including an Argon hardtail. Prior to that the hardtail in my shed was Ti. The latter I broke, the former takes one hell of a hammering and just saw me fine on 75km of Afan Monster last Saturday. The Ti frame was more compliant and had a lot of flex. Was comfortable for sure. The Argon is extremely stiff by comparison, which offers a different ride - you feel everything through the frame and are very connected to the trail. Some would say harsh, but like I say, I just did 75km on it and fared ok - big tyres and (most of the time) looking for smoother lines.

Regarding quality, Nicolai is up there for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanx guys for replying..

i m sure Nicolais are built to last.. n i certaintly have no doubt with regards to the built quality. but one of the things i notice when i switched to riding a Ti then a steel bike, was that despite the 2 being a hardtail, they both felt more comfortable than my previous Trek EX.. ; i dun feel so 'beatup' after each ride.. am i being too sensitive here? or does others feel similar to the diff from frame material?

cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I think you might be buying into the whole 'Steel is real' hype there to be honest, there is no way a steel HT is more compliant than a 120mm FS unless the FS was set up very badly indeed.

I can rattle out mile after mile on my Helius and not feel beat up at all, including bombing down Cader Idris, the peaks, the lakes, rest of wales etc etc