mtbr member
    Aug 2013

... and if we just ... NICOLAI 2014 Product Range

Hi everybody

I am Moritz, sales man from Nicolai.
    These are our 2014 frames, we showcased last weekend on our 18th birthday party.

Argon FAT (For All Terrain)

NICOLAI 2014 Product Range-argon-fat.jpg

Recommended Fork Travel: 0-90mm
    Wheelwidth: 3.8"
    100mm Bottom Bracket
    170mm Rear axle Width
    Hollowweld Technologie
    Gates Carbon Drive Ready

FAT but true!

Bright green, huge 3.8 tires, in the usual Nicolai-manner, these are the first facts about the new Nicolai Argon Fatbike. In 2014 the bike will be available as a part of a special production series with max. 60 products per year.
    Riding a fatbike just makes you smile. Sand, snow or even deep and boggy grounds, this bike will not be stopped by any terrain. The big tires give you a secure feeling on the bike and let every ride become a unique experience.

Argon TB

NICOLAI 2014 Product Range-argon-tb.jpg

Recommended Fork Travel: 120mm
    Wheelsize (small): 27.5"
    Wheelsize (medium - xlarge): 29"
    Gates Carbon Drive Ready
    Pinion Optional

One for every chance!

Due to its relaxed seat position this hardtail trailbike will not bug you even on long distance rides. The flat headangle and the low bottom bracket are essential for its secure downhill performance. The short rear frame makes the bike easy to handle. If you're looking for a bike which can be used as an “all-day rig” and does well on the trail the Argon TB will be your first choice.

Argon AM

NICOLAI 2014 Product Range-argon-am.jpg

Recommended Fork Travel: 150 – 160mm
    Wheelsize: 27.5"
    Gates Carbon Drive Ready
    Pinion Optional

Breathtaking uphills, challenging downhills, no problem!

The new Nicolai enduro hardtail bike is made for aggressive hardtail downhill action. Like the majority of our 2014 product range the Argon AM is built for 27.5” wheels. The bigger wheels guarantee better grip due to the larger contact area of your tire towards the ground. You will easily notice the benefits of the new standard on a hardtail bike and riding will be much more comfortable.

Argon Trekking

NICOLAI 2014 Product Range-argon-tr.jpg

Recommended Fork Travel: 0-100mm
    Wheelsize: 28“ 700C
    1 1/8 Headtube
    Gates Carbon Drive Ready
    Pinion Optional

For us the Argon TR is the best way to move in the city and to go on multiple-day trekking trips. Here you can see the bike built up with the Pinion Gear Box and Gates Carbon Drive. This combination of two alternative drives convinces nearly carefree use and guarantees a very silent and elegant ride. Of course the bike can be built up with a casual chain drive.

ION 20 Effigear -Prototyp-

NICOLAI 2014 Product Range-ion-20-effi.jpg

Recommended Fork Travel: 200mm
    205mm Rear Travel
    Zerostack Headtube
    142x12mm Rearaxle Width
    PM180mm Breakmount
    ET Key Geometry Adjustment

The new technology support for the Nicolai product range. Based on the new ION 20 frame our engineers equipped the bike with a “Effigear” Gearbox. What is special about this innovation is the fact that the gearbox can be used with a Gates Carbon Drivetrain. This new combination will be tested at a number of races by our factory race team.

ION 20

NICOLAI 2014 Product Range-ion-20.jpg

Recommended Fork Travel: 200mm
    205mm Rear Travel
    Zerostack Headtube
    ISCG 05 Mount
    157x12mm Rearaxle Width
    PM180mm Brakemount

The new “DH-workhorse”

The new revised frame lets the ION 20 become our new force in all downhill territories. As you probably know from the ION 16 the bike also is equipped with the ET Key geometry adjustment to change your bottom bracket height and head angle. This new downhill rig also uses 27.5” wheels. In addition the kinematics have been completly revised and the ratio was reduced to receive an optimal downhill geometry with the 205mm rear travel.

ION 16

NICOLAI 2014 Product Range-dsc_9263.jpg

Recommended Fork Travel
    160mm Rear Travel
    Wheelsize: 26“
    Zerostack Headtube
    ISCG 05 Mount
    142x12mm Rear Axle Width
    PM180mm Break Mount
    High Direct Mount Derailleur Compatible

All Known! Our most innovative enduro bike from 2013 won't be changed for 2014. Your high interest towards the bike during the previous year and several victories at national and international enduro races shows us that we've done a good job. Interested in a 27.5” version? - Just get in touch with us!

Helius AC

NICOLAI 2014 Product Range-helius-ac.jpg

Recommended Fork Travel: 140-150mm
    150mm Rear Travel
    Zerostack Headtube
    ISCG 05 Mount
    142x12mm Rear Axle Width
    PM180mm Break Mount
    Pinion Optional

THE "Ride-it-All-Bike“

The successful Helius AC Model starts with new details for 2014. This variable Trailbike is the perfect bike for any countryside. New for 2014: 180mm PM break mount and 142 x 12mm rear axle width. Furthermore, we've also increased the tire clearance.

ION 15

NICOLAI 2014 Product Range-ion-15.jpg

Recommended Fork Travel: 150-160mm
    150mm Rear Travel
    Wheelsize: 29"
    Zerostack Headtube
    ISCG 05 Mount
    142x12mm Rear Axle Width
    PM180mm Break Mount
    High Direct Mount Derailleur Compatible

27.5”??? We'll push it up to 29” !!!

The ION 15 adds another enduro bike with new characteristics to our product range. The 29” rig with 150mm rear travel will satisfy your idea of a proper enduro race bike. The large wheels also promise effective propulsion and optimal traction at any chance.

Helius TB

NICOLAI 2014 Product Range-helius-ttb.jpg

Recommended Fork Travel: 120-140mm
    120mm Rear Travel
    Wheelsize (small): 27.5", (medium–xlarge) 29"
    Zerostack Headtube
    ISCG 05 Mount
    142x12mm Rear Axle Width
    PM180mm Break Mount
    Pinion Optional

The Helius TB combines certain features of the old 2013 Helius range. With 120mm rear travel, 29 "wheels and its low weight, this trailbike is suitable for any long distance tour and kind of trail. This combination makes up a proper 29” bike: “Large wheels for maximum traction, enough travel and perfect geometry for maximum riding pleasure!”

Be well
    Moritz
    Last edited by Ritzie; 08-21-2013 at 05:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Good to see the Ion 15-29er as a production bike for 2014... however what's the (stock) geo info on the 2014 range? Nothing on the website as yet...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Very nice,good selection and some very nice updates

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ion15 Thanks to all at Nicolai :-) , soooo happy with mine. I hope the geometry carries over from Mine and Richards, its fantastic.

Moritz, I assume the rear axle pacing on the Ion20 is 150mmx12 NOT 157mm as stated?

Looks like a good balance across the range..
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    157x12 is the 150mmx12,bit like 142x12 was 135x12,bolt through but with alignment lugs

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Aha. That's makes perfect
    sense. Everyday is a skool day.
    I'm not quite so up with the BIG bike standards...
    Aka chainline...

yet another stupid german
    LOL
    Moritz beat me to it...

650B Ion16 is supposed to be available Jan14

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Emailed Nicolai today to find out when the build queue starts and when they plan to release the tech sheet and geometry for the Ion 16 650b.

Hoping for a sub 13.5 inch bb height :0)

Tech sheets will be out for eurobike

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

... and if we just ...

Sweet!

couple of tech sheets are now online at N, but no Ion16 650

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hello Moritz, thanks for this nice presentation.

As a downhill rider, I find the two new bikes (Ion 20 and Ion Effigear) really interesting. Especially with the Effigear option which makes a lot of sense to me.

However, Nicolaï should really offer those downhill frames with 26" wheels, or at least with a free 26" option (with adapted geometry). As a downhill rider, I just need a bike which is lively, light and fun to ride (I find it a lot easier to move your bike in the air with 26" wheels).

I can't see the advantage of 27,5" wheels on those bikes. Downhill requires responsive bikes, easy to move quickly in any situation, with robust and light wheels (the bigger the weaker).

But that is just my point of view and I'm pretty sure that we are soon going to see that, at the highest level, 26" wheels are still faster on rough and steep downhill tracks (what downhill should be).

Please Nicolaï, downhill riders just need 26" wheels on their bike, no matter what the mainstream market tells us.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Fat bike Argon FAT on trail.

Starring Frank SCHNEIDER, team GATES NICOLAI.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for posting Ritzie, lots of interesting developments.

I'm daydreaming about either an Ion 16 650 or a Helius TB 29, depending on where I might be dwelling in the coming years. That's not clear yet (and nor is the financial situation), so at least I can sit tight in the meantime.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SowX View Post
    Hello Moritz, thanks for this nice presentation.

As a downhill rider, I find the two new bikes (Ion 20 and Ion Effigear) really interesting. Especially with the Effigear option which makes a lot of sense to me.

However, Nicolaï should really offer those downhill frames with 26" wheels, or at least with a free 26" option (with adapted geometry). As a downhill rider, I just need a bike which is lively, light and fun to ride (I find it a lot easier to move your bike in the air with 26" wheels).

I can't see the advantage of 27,5" wheels on those bikes. Downhill requires responsive bikes, easy to move quickly in any situation, with robust and light wheels (the bigger the weaker).

But that is just my point of view and I'm pretty sure that we are soon going to see that, at the highest level, 26" wheels are still faster on rough and steep downhill tracks (what downhill should be).

Please Nicolaï, downhill riders just need 26" wheels on their bike, no matter what the mainstream market tells us.
    I can only agree with Snowx on this, 26 wheels should remain as a free option on the DH bike, I will buy a new bike next year, and it will be a 26 one. It would be a shame if I had to leave Nicolai after 7 years of love just beacause fo the size of the wheels...
    Great job on lightening the Ion 20 by the way !!!
    Never enough singletracks !

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    We just have seen this week-end that big wheels for DH is just plain ********, even for fast rolling tracks (which I wasn't expecting).

Axe
    Custom User Title
    No 650b TBs in M size.. That is supposed to be the Medium wheel...