mtbr member

Nicolai 2012 - No more AFR - Hello ion 18

www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

mtbr member
    The yellow and purple is sick. I want that in a 29er

New to the Nicolai Clan
    I prefer the Raw / Orange Ion 18. That is a very sexy bike... now if I could just trade out the Knolly...

mtbr member
    shame to see the AFR get faded out but the Ion design is brilliant. Intrigued to see how the Ion14 translates into a trail bike...

Karve, you forgot to add what I think is the most interesting new model, the Helius AM Pinion:

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I think the Ion 14 as a trail bike is a nice idea in theory but not so good in practice. This is purely speculation, but it's based on my experiment of trying to turn my older spec AM into an AC by shorting the rear travel using reducer plates at the top shock mount.

By moving the damper forward 7mm I was able to slacken the HA enough to run a 32mm fork. The BB was also super low, maybe just under 13", The geometry worked reasonably well when you ran the bike in 145mm mode (third hole down).

But the big problem was that this changed the leverage curve quite a bit. I found the suspension action running very progressively and would routinely get my feet blown off if I wasn't paying attention. I ended up going down from a 450lb to a 400lb spring to compensate, but it still wasn't quite right.

Anyway my point is that the bike felt just like a 'park bike'; very progressive. It worked well to control landings but it wasn't so good at absorbing fast trail chatter and I lost some control as a result.

I think, and I really do mean 'think' as in I don't honestly know for sure, that the Ion14, like any other park bike, will have a similarly progressive ratio and will therefore feel similarly hard to control over fast trail chatter. Thus I'm not sure how good it would be as a trail bike.

The alternative might be an AC, built with an AM tubeset, with a slacker HA and lower BB so that you run it second hole down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Im sorry for the AFR.........
    ........so now I will put my eyes on the Helius AM Pinion!! Wow!