steep fast and loose :)

Nicolai 2011 - CCDB Custom Tune.

FFS !!!!!!!!!!

Another load of BS about custom tuning a CCDB.

The fukkn shock is that tuneable it cannot necessarily be "custom" tuned.

OR.............

are they talking specific shim stack and needle valve adjustments to suit the leverage curve ?

why the fuk could they not have given me the correct leverage chart when my CCDB was being built in that case 12/18 months ago.............

unfukknbelievable !

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    FFS !!!!!!!!!!

why the fuk could they not have given me the correct leverage chart when my CCDB was being built in that case 12/18 months ago.............

unfukknbelievable !
    The problem is not with your shock, it's ..

And I really doubt that Nic would write bs about the tune, it's probably for real

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I would imagine they are talking about the shim stacks or the springs behind the poppet valves.

mtbr member
    At what point does LSC become HSC, or LSR become HSR... ah yes.... at the speed it is tuned to change between them... and therefore a custom tune could change that speed for you... which may suit a particular shock and bike very well.

Could this be how to tune out pedal strike?

banned
    Apr 2010
    All speculation because no one ever confirms when pressed on it, that there is a custom tune.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    At what point does LSC become HSC, or LSR become HSR... ah yes.... at the speed it is tuned to change between them... and therefore a custom tune could change that speed for you... which may suit a particular shock and bike very well.

Someone gets pedal strikes,Havent heard of that....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    TLR it could just simply be that they are drawing on what is quite extensive knowledge at Cane Creek for setting up CCDBs for Nicolais. Talking to the chaps over there it's obvious that they've done quite a few and as soon as you say what bike it's for, they sound comfortable with what they're doing.

But like you, I've always been under the impression that every CCDB that leaves the factory is ostensibly identical inside.

Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    But like you, I've always been under the impression that every CCDB that leaves the factory is ostensibly identical inside.
    exactly - malcolm @ CC informs me there is no custom tune. just specific settings which are used as a base as some like it stiff [ooh err] and some like it soft.

what a load of bollox.

mtbr member
    So can someone actually please confirm what is exactly tuned in a 'custom tune' !? Nicolai UK?

Speaking to a chap from K9 industies a few months back, the only thing he could really explain about their CCDB custom tune for the DH-001 was the nicely etched K9 logo on the shock body.......

There seems to be more and more shock options becoming available and more and more 'custom tunes' but very little info about any. It is a little frustrating when deciding which way to go.

TLR--still mulling over the offer.

seriously - the ccdb has such a vast collection of fukk ups available a custom tune is just what we need.......................................

banned
    Apr 2010
    They still won't acknowledge that the main piston essentially does not blow off on big hits.

Too bad you guys won't try and mod a DHXc yourselves. I adjusted the shimstacks, and it was quite interesting what I came up with. The only real limitation in that type of tuning are the common rebound and compression channels on the stock piston, so tuning takes a bit of trial and error and effects both a bit, but it's still not hard. I also suspect sourcing a piston from another application of the same size might be feasible. One with separate porting...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    They still won't acknowledge that the main piston essentially does not blow off on big hits.
    What exactly do you mean by that?

banned
    Apr 2010
    Some have complained about the spiking and/or packing, as the shock can't flow enough oil under all conditions like they say. When this happens, the piston, which they claim has a shim stack, needs to blow off and continue moving, but it can't open. The shock doesn't handle all shaft speeds like they claim. It's a good shock, but some, like myself, have noticed the packing.