"Its All Good"

Nicolai 1st at Megavalanche Masters Class

An email from Nicolai

Dear Friends + Partners of the NICOLAI Team,

Frank Schneider placed 1st at Megavalanche Masters Challenger Class on a NICOLAI single speed carbon drive hardtail !! (see Megavalanche - Maxiavalanche - Avalanche cup - Avalanche Enduro - Transvesubienne).

For those that have not heard of the megavalanche, it is THE mountain bike race on the world calendar, involving a mass start down hill course 25-30 km long with 2450 m vertical descent. Starting on a high alpine glacier, the first part of the race will be on snow, where hundreds of riders jostle for position, trying to get to the front of the pack before the long singletrack and technical riding that covers the middle and lower sections.

Riding a hardtail on a marathon DH course like the Mega is already an adventure. But competing with just one gear, using a GATES Carbondrive is a real physical challenge.
    Starting from row 3 with more than 40 riders in front of him Frank "Schneidi" Schneider proved his fitness and skills from his early days as world cup DH racer. At the end of the glacier section he found himself already in a top 10 position. He passed one by one on the fast and technical single trails and defended his leading position even on the climb sections.

Thanks to all our partners providing us "Megavalanche" - proven products and technical support.

cheers

Hoshi Yoshida, Kalle Nicolai
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Very nice and well done

mtbr member
    Well, show us a picture of the bike and it's happy (knackered) owner then!

mtbr member
    Need pictures or it didn't happen...

mtbr member
    Galery on facebook

For those who don't have facebook, only one picture for you :
    Never enough singletracks !

mtbr member
    sweet

mtbr member
    sure you posted that on the right forum pimp?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    im kinda surprised that a SS hardtail won the mega(not entirely sure what the masters challenger class is mind you!). i was under the impression that it was a pretty hardcore event. I know plenty lads use full on DH'ers for qualifying.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper View Post
    im kinda surprised that a SS hardtail won the mega(not entirely sure what the masters challenger class is mind you!). i was under the impression that it was a pretty hardcore event. I know plenty lads use full on DH'ers for qualifying.
    Like most races riders will be classed as Pro's, Elites, Masters, Seniors, etc. so I'd assume he was the fastest 'Master' in the main event. I thought I recognised him when he was on the podium but I was so busy trying to get my breath back things were hard to take in.

It's a hardcore event due to the length and duration but it's no DH race! It's an all mountain event which suits an all mountain bike. Most Pro's use a 160mm bike for qualifying and a 150mm bike for the main event. You could get away with a DH sled for the qualifier but it would be hard work on the Mega course.

So Dipper.....are you up for it next year? Plan is to do the Mountain of Hell and the Mega if your man enough?

mtbr member
    I'll say aye just to shut you up for another year!

when you say you 'recognised him on the podium', were you standing beside him?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

Fat & Single
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX