mtbr member
    Nov 2008

New Shock for an 07 FR

Im currently running a rockshock pearl on the FR and to be honest its ok but i think the bike could be so much better!! I ride alot of trails and unfortunatly quite alot of uphill. Initially i was thinking of a DHX Air but have heard mixed things about them, im not a great one for adjusting and tinkering i perfer fit and forget. i have just seen the avalanche Chubbie shock iv always wanted a avalanche shock but im not sure if its just a bit to DH for my riding Is the avalanche shock a step to far and better off sticking with a fox coil?

The current spec on the FR is 07 Medium with 09 Van 36rc2's and Triple front rings

steep fast and loose :)
    oilyman - the DHX5.0 coil is ok, but will need a PUSH tune prior to fitment to the FR.
    why not contact TF Tuned, and answer their questions, thereby getting a tuned shock ideal for your weight and riding requirements ?

i assume it's a 200mm x 57mm stroke you're currently running ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    yeah i think it is the 200 x 57. i will have a chat with TF next week. Im chatting to the guys from avalanche as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oilyragman
    yeah i think it is the 200 x 57. i will have a chat with TF next week. Im chatting to the guys from avalanche as well.

Tf tuned also do BOS rear shocks aswell

mtbr member
    Not having ridden a pre 08 FR I'm guessing the rear suspension action is pretty similar to the current FR/AM bikes.

If so, then most of the new shocks will work well. If, as you say you're not a fiddler then i'd probably go with a HV RP23. they work well and are simple to operate. Coils will theoretically be plusher but can't say I'd agree or disagree with that. they're also quite a bit heavier and not so easy to set up from a sag point of view.(new springs, shock off and on till you get it right etc)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i dont mind fiddling a bit but i get bored quite quickly!! being a bit of a fat git iv always found it hard to find the sweet spots on air shocks. i think a call to TF is in order to see what he thinks!

mtbr member
    I don't think the 'fat git' issue is with air shocks specifically. I suspect(as I've just alluded to in the CCDB thread) is that us fat gits(mines mostly muscle obviously!)are outwith the weight range for standard tuning. the higher the required spring rate, the more the damping cicuits have to cope with.

You probably find you need to run the rebound damping at near max to control the boinging? I'm currently running a Roco TSTR(coil) on a Rocky Mountain Switch with this very issue. I'm getting away with it but just. I'm 1 click off fully closed.

Overall I'm still a coil man but air is so close in performance these days and for some applications better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i can stop the bobbing with the 'gate valve' (pro pedal) and set up with a reasonable amount of sag but then it doesnt react very well to the smaller bumps or the high speed stuff on the faster trails. when i switch it to no pro pedal for the fun stuff it sags really badly and feels like it needs a load more air in it.

iv always said the pearl would only be a temp shock as iv never really been a fan of them but it came with the frame and i didnt have the money at the time for a different shock. the old fox brain shock on my s-works worked well but thas didnt have much adjustment. Still the best fit and forget shock i had was the tuned romic i had on my bullit.

mtbr member
    I've got a new DHX4 sitting about doing nowt. I'd do it cheap to a fellow Nicolai owner if you like?

Or if you fancy, for the price of postage i could probably lend you a couple of shocks to try. Maybe a monarch, or Roco TST. At least you'll have an idea what suits you then..

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    if thats a DHX4 Coil i would be interested in it even if i only end up using it when i go to france

mtbr member
    I've pm'd you

mtbr member
    I'd consider the coil Roco TST. Bought my '08 FR from Dipper with this shock fitted and I've yet to experience any issues with it. I find it very plush and the TST adjust allows enough tuning to remove most of the bobbing on climbs yet remain very supple on the downs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Fter trying a few bikes this week i have decided to go with a CCDB i almost went for a BOS But no one could give me a delivery time on then!! i will report back when its fitted and running

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    you won't regret it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The CCDB turned up today but the spring was to soft so waiting for a different one to arrive from extra. first oppinions... super smooth

oily - is the ccdb a 200mm i2i x 57mm stroke ?
    what weight are you and what current spring are you using ?
    35% sag is acceptable for trail riding with a ccdb.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    im about 230lbs cane creak sent it with a 550 spring, extra sent it with an additional 500 spring. my LBS spoke to extra today and they were supprised and thought i would need a lighter spring!! and dont have anything bigger than 550's in stock. so TF Tuned are sending a 650 spring which should hopefully be hear in time for my sunday ride!!

mtbr member
    I'm @ 220 and run a 500 on my FR. A 550 should work for you. worth giving it a good try before going up the way

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i will give it a ride tomorrow morning and see how it goes

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    oily, 550 should be good for you with 35/40% sag and between one and two turns of pre-load.....I'm around 200 and use a 450 spring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    on the standard cane creak settings and the 550 spring im using about 55-60% of the travel by just sitting on the bike and bottoming out the shock by sprinting up and down the road and riding off a few curbs!!

mtbr member
    CCDB s are epically good... enjoy the shock dude.. lots of info on here about setup.

jee whizz - indeed it is a Cane Creak !!!!!! LOL

get your info entered here :

CCDB settings for NIcs