Some sample prices from the new Shimano price list

XT chainset, £205
    XTR chainset, £430
    SLX chainset £137

XTR rear mech, £166
    XT rear mech, £78

mtbr member
    Link???

Are those prices serious, the price of an XT crankset has gone up by £85 in 6 months, thatís phucking insane!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Fu_k that i paid £97 for a rear XTR shadow GS on Thursday and the same amount for a new cassette, whatever the latest one is, 972? Anyway both parts for £194 from Jejames and both of them were special orders...

Drink...sleep
    All Shitmano prices in Holland went up by 25% a couple of weeks back. Their excuse was the Yen was getting more expensive. Well, makes you wonder why those prices didn't go down when the Yen was cheap.

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Jesus thats nutz
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

steep fast and loose :)
    the increase in prices will really hurt the MTB market.
    lots of people buy as upgrade, not as necessity, and the market is therefore fuelled by want, not need.
    when prices are OTT and unjustified, people will naturally react by not spending money.
    this is bad news all round however as the manufacturwers will see profit loss, and be forced to up their margins, even if currencies recover and international trade stabilises.
    basically, were all screwed for years to come

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I agree TLR with your assessment, bad news for high end retails as well, I guess they will stop holding stock due to lack of over draft facilities, which will increase the problem further.
    Buying because you want something is often done on a whim and if its not in stock customers will have cooled by the time the item arrives a retailer, thus destroying impulse buying.

"Its All Good"
    Yep, feel the world is in for a shock for the up coming few years. More or less "Here come the pain"

Bikes in New Zealand have more or less risen in price in the realms of 35- 40 % in the last few months, savage really.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

savage indeed whafey, but bear in mind that not even the big movers (shimano, trek, specialized) can obtain finance and funds up front. this will stifle development and possibly product availability, thereby further increasing prices.
    a whole new dawning is about to rip the heart out of the world we know, just cause a few hedge fund managers got overly greedy and decimated the markets on the drop.
    truly savage

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    a whole new dawning is about to rip the heart out of the world we know, just cause a few hedge fund managers got overly greedy and decimated the markets on the drop. truly savage
    Perfectly summed up TLR..... Gauging and utter greed has truly rocked the world...

I feel we will go back tot he old days to a certain extent. Such as, people will begin to get to know the people living next door, the hub of a community will become more important etc etc etc....

I am truly glad I have a stable of bikes that I am spoilt and at this point do not desire a new bike..... Or another way, I have the upgraditis under control.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    and i'm in the process of buyiung 3 new ones

mtbr member
    More scary is what is going to happen at the other end of the market.

Kids bikes are going to sky rocket in price as well. I was speaking to a shop owner yesterday who expects his bread-and-butter £100-£200 starter MTB bikes for kids to become £250-300. There is no way parents are going to want to pay that in these times, and anything cheaper is a death trap in ordinary use never mind attempted offroad riding.

Repairs are another nightmare. The repair of these cheap bikes is usually almost uneconomic because cheap bikes have been so cheap it's better to bin it hence most go from owner to skip. In these more costly times maybe, just maybe, people will stop junking things so quickly and repair what they have? (Note - trying to fix these deathtrap beasts is another whole nightmare which I would not wish on anybody). Prevention is easier than repair by a huge margin - one bike he had in for repair had a very rusty drivetrain - outcome was £100 in parts for want of a squirt of oil... kids have no clue about maintenance of anything anymore... jetwashes are the death of many a bike).
    Kids and adults need to learn about maintenance again.

Oooh - sorry to sidetrack.

Good point mate, the jetwash is VERY convenient after a night ride but dosent do the bike ANY good atall!

feel free to vent pimpy !
    i must admit, i'm always on top of the maintenance of my bikes / motorbikes / cars , as you say - prevention is better than cure.

mtbr member
    "i must admit, i'm always on top of the maintenance of my bikes / motorbikes / cars"

ha ha ha ha!!!!

funniest thing I've heard this week!

Lol

I just pulled the trigger on a saint short cage rear mech and pair of saint shifters before the price goes nutz.

I love my SRAM gearing but have you noticed how hidden the new saint rear mech is compared to a SRAM? Its nuts really but time will tell so long as the shifts are still silky i'll be happy

mtbr member
    I checked at my LBS today, those prices have already come into effect if your ordering new stuff from the distributor. Magura has decided not to raise prices, hence the brakes going on my new 29er will be Magura and the cranks will be Truvativ rather than Shimano, Shimano’s loss I guess…

Truvativ are part of Sram who have hiked prices by at least 30%

mtbr member
    Yes, but the Stylo which is the direct competition for the XT is £75 cheaper at the moment including Sram’s price rise. Performance is equal too but I’ll have to get back to you on the reliability of the 09 Stylo…

"Its All Good"
    Always knew there was a reason other than Magura making the best brakes hands down as to why I have Magura on all my bikes!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0