Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New FR and AM

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New FR and AM

Just to confirm some details on these new bikes from the Nicolai website, the FR is strengthened to take forks like the totem. The weight increases to 4.4KG (9.68lb). The AM is intended to be used with forks like wotan and rs lyrics and comes in at 3.5kg (7.7lb). Comparing weights the 08FR is 3.9kg (8.58lb). All the weights are based on medium and include an appropriate shock? I am trying to find out if the new FR will come with 1.5 headtube and maxle rear as standard. Does anyone know about this? So the complete Helius line-up now is RC CC AM FR2 (ST?). I think if you are only getting one bike then AM. If you want or can afford two, then for me it would be CC plus FR2 or ST (or UFO ST). I will try to post some photos if I can find any.

Drink...sleep
    I've just read a post by Falco Mille on the mtb-news.de forums on how to recognize a strengthened FR frame. They started strengthening them a while back, but didn't document when exactly. You can recognize it on the welds on the MX gusset (the plate with the N carved into it at the side of the headtube, between top and bottom tube). This gusset has three welds on the downtube. If the middle weld is exactly the same size as the outer two welds, you've got the strengthened frame, able to handle the bigger 180mm forks.

Just checked mine, and yes, mine's a strengthened version .

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ryates
    All the weights are based on medium and include an appropriate shock?
    Thatīs correct!

I am trying to find out if the new FR will come with 1.5 headtube and maxle rear as standard. Does anyone know about this?
    1 1/8 HT and normal dropouts are standard. 1.5 HT 123€ and maxle 46€ surcharge.

wyrd bið ful ãræd
    something between the FR and CC??? nice

more options ...
    Last edited by chinaman; 04-06-2008 at 01:39 PM.

mtbr member
    WOW fascinating posts

Thought it was an April fools

But its not
    http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=319186
    For those of you who cant speak German
    http://209.85.135.104/translate_c?hl...p%3Ft%3D319186

Quote Originally Posted by Boozzz
    I've just read a post by Falco Mille on the mtb-news.de forums on how to recognize a strengthened FR frame. They started strengthening them a while back, but didn't document when exactly. You can recognize it on the welds on the MX gusset (the plate with the N carved into it at the side of the headtube, between top and bottom tube). This gusset has three welds on the downtube. If the middle weld is exactly the same size as the outer two welds, you've got the strengthened frame, able to handle the bigger 180mm forks.
    I haven't seen a 08 FR without this. The one on their site which would have been one of the very early 08s has this detail. Does that mean all 08 FRs are strengthened ? Can anyone find an example of one which isnt?

Awesome to hear I can let the Totem rock at 180 without any issues Perfect timing!

Just to confirm some details on these new bikes from the Nicolai website, the FR is strengthened to take forks like the totem. The weight increases to 4.4KG (9.68lb). The AM is intended to be used with forks like wotan and rs lyrics and comes in at 3.5kg (7.7lb). Comparing weights the 08FR is 3.9kg (8.58lb)
    500g increase on the FR.. where will all that weight go? Would imply a very different design? Thats only one pound less that an ST. I wonder in the FR rear travel will go to 180?

Glad i got mine when I did as it sounds like I would have been caught between 2 bikes as the current FR really fills the gap of heavy duty AM light FR which is me - Where as the new ones will split into classical AM and FR

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    I'm really longing to find out more about the Helius AM and to see pictures.
    What is considered an 'appropriate' shock for the AM with which it is weighed?
    Will it have the adjustability of the '07 (and earlier) FR?

Drink...sleep
    Don't know if they're going to change the FR anymore than they already did with their head-gusset update. If you look closely at the one on their website, and Whafe's FR for example, you'll see that the weld is slightly shorter, and the 2 holes between the 3 welds slightly larger. Another difference I found is that if you look at the shock mount on the top tube, you'll see yours and mine is different as well from the earlier models: shorter and less holes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith
    I'm really longing to find out more about the Helius AM and to see pictures.
    What is considered an 'appropriate' shock for the AM with which it is weighed?
    Hi,
    the standard shock will be a RockShox Monarch 4.2, weight will be 3,5kg with shock. I guess under normal Nicolai-terms, meaning size "M" and anodized. The price will be the same, as the FRīs. Unfortunately there are no photos yet. In the newsletter (http://nicolai.dbap.de/customGates/s...newsletter.php) is a "sneak preview" section of the Helius AM. Karl-Heinz Nicolai in front of his desk, a CAD picture on the screen and his BIG hand in front of it. But i guess that there will be soon pictures, when the AM officially starts at the end of April.

mtbr member
    How much travel will the AM have?

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Testmaen
    Hi,
    the standard shock will be a RockShox Monarch 4.2, weight will be 3,5kg with shock. I guess under normal Nicolai-terms, meaning size "M" and anodized.
    Hi Testmaen, thanks for the info!
    With the claimed weight of the Monarch at 200 grams (approximately) it means a bare frame in M would weigh around 3300 grams.
    Which is kind of a relief because my custom anodized L ('07) weighs 3390 w/o shock, and so I won't lose my sleep thinking I should go ahead and order a new Nicolai frame after only a year on my current one

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    How much travel will the AM have?
    According to a post from Falco in the german forum as much as the FR. I could imagine, that there will be more travel options holes on the shock link, than on the FRīs one, to adjust for a more AM-ish use, when you donīt need/want the full travel, but thatīs just a presumption of mine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just found out that there will still be an up charge for maxel rear and 1.5 HT. I was hoping they would include it like they do with the UFO ST.

Drink...sleep
    Just found out that there will still be an up charge for maxel rear and 1.5 HT. I was hoping they would include it like they do with the UFO ST.
    Yes, like I said, they're probably not going to change the FR any further than they have already done, namely strengthen the front end to take bigger forks, which already has been done for every FR coming out of the factory right now (like Karve's and mine).

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I forgot to mention that the Helius ST was also updated at the beginning of the year with changed angles and a new gusset plate.

mtbr member
    Thats a shame as the FR works well with both those options for sure. The maxle especially.. hardly any weight gain and makes that rear end solid as a rock.

Cant wait to see the new AM. Sounds like sub 30 lb builds will be possible

Hard funkinī Kraut
    I think all you guys have to wait till the middle of may. There will be a "Bikefest-Willingen", Germany, hopefully with Worldcup DH, 4X and XC Marathon. Nicolai will have a big booth there, and as always Iīll be there to check lotīs of new Goodies.
    Iīm pretty shure Nicolai is freaking busy to get ready for showing up their new stuff, developing, welding, built up ... stuff like that so the most Information will be given then! I will take as much pics as possible and post it here, so you have fresh meat to lust over ...
    Also I have to talk to Falco again. Last Saturday I decided not to go with the Helius FR as my new ride, because of the new, hefty weight, no double or triple butted tubing (hope this to be just a rumour) and a custom geo (including sloped down Toptube and slacker Headtube) without going through R&D, which is way out of budged. Hope to find some solutions, so I can support my famous german manufactor.

Greetings
    NoStyle

"Its All Good"
    Great information guys.... Sweet I have a strengthened frame also, guess being a 1.5HS this would be natural....

The rear maxel is well worth the extra money, makes it very stiff, not that the frame isnt stiff as it is.....

Its all good, Go Nicolai.... You guys rock!
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Great information guys.... Sweet I have a strengthened frame also, guess being a 1.5HS this would be natural....

The rear maxel is well worth the extra money, makes it very stiff, not that the frame isnt stiff as it is.....

Its all good, Go Nicolai.... You guys rock!
    Whafe, I thought I detected a slightly less wide weld on your frame for the middle connection (hence slightly bigger slits on both sides of it). But could be wrong, pics weren't too close-up. After initial joy, I myself would rather have had the older frame, at least it was a bit lighter. Too bad I didn't know about the AM when I ordered.

mtbr member
    Boozzz

Well im not sure what to think as...

Mine is one of the strengthened ones and comes in at
    3470g without shock
    4170g with shock (600g Ti CCDB)

The 08 FR is supposed to be
    3900g with shock
    But im sure the reference shock is quite a light one. ( ie the pearl is 320g which would save 280g over my shock)

The new FR is supposed to be
    4400g with shock
    which is significantly more than mine.

Drink...sleep
    Boozzz

Well im not sure what to think as...

Mine is one of the strengthened ones and comes in at
    3470g without shock
    4170g with shock (600g Ti CCDB)

The 08 FR is supposed to be
    3900g with shock
    But im sure the reference shock is quite a light one. ( ie the pearl is 320g which would save 280g over my shock)

The new FR is supposed to be
    4400g with shock
    which is significantly more than mine.
    Hey Karve, I'm thinking that since yours doesn't have any paint, adding paint will definitely add the 250 grams. The reference shock is an X-Fusion steel coiled one, the reference frame a size M. So based on your measurements, over 4400 grams sounds about right for mine (a size L).

I guess I will have to live with it, but am a bit bummed Nicolai didn't inform their (potential) customers of this half a kilo weight increase. I would have been better off with the AM, in hindsight, as I'm not going to put anything over 160mm in front. No wonder my calculated weight was so far off the real weight.

mtbr member
    Yep looking at it I might have to agree with you there. Mine doesn't have the seat tube bridge which will save some weight and ur right it doesn't get lighter than a polished finish.

Will be interesting if we all get together and anyone has a earlier model to compare the 2

Has it been confirmed that the AM will have the same rear travel - 167mm?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Falco said it in the german forum and itīs also in the newsletter. But Falco said also, that the AM wonīt have a bikepark clearence. So maybe youīre better off with the FR, even youīll never put a fork with more than 160mm on it.

Drink...sleep
    Yep looking at it I might have to agree with you there. Mine doesn't have the seat tube bridge which will save some weight and ur right it doesn't get lighter than a polished finish.

Will be interesting if we all get together and anyone has a earlier model to compare the 2

In the mtb-news.de thread, Falco says the AM will have adjustable travel between 140 and 160mm, and a geometry similar to the FR.

"Its All Good"
    This sheds some light so to speak for me as to when I first measured my frame for weight, we all thought it seemed high, but am thinking it was due to it being a strengthened version, also assuming with the 1.5 HS, it will be heavier...

I am not dissapointed with the weight at all though, it pedals and rides fantastic and is strong, which is what I wanted.....

Some pictures.. Keep in mind that this weight has the piece of steel plate in place of the shock and also the wood and through bolt down in the bottom bracket area.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Hi to all,

Karve did already the job for you:

AW: New model between Helius CC and FR - first details?
    As we Helius FR many requests now have even more to it with freeride forks like totem or 66 to go, the gap between Helius FR and CC even bigger. The new model, which will close this gap, Helius AM hot and be available from April. The first orders for blind dates, we have already received. The geometry is the Helius FR resemble travel 140 to 160 mm, as well as the fork spring compatible ways, and lengths. The targeted weight incl damper is 3.5 kg. The bike is a long-travel all-mountain. For the Freeride use is no clearance. The Helius AM is our framework for alpine touring and multi-rider race without ambition. As an All Mountain, the Helius AM very balanced and uphill walk as well as downhill. Safety and convenience are playing an important role, but also leightweight and efficiency. The Helius AM is not simply a decreased FR or an increased CC, but an entirely new framework constructed, in which each new milling elaborately designed and calculated.

And please ask me now no holes in the abdomen. Once more information, I will publish them here.

Greetings, Falco

Again, wait untill Bikefest Willingen! Every information before could only be speculation!

For those of you who are not in need for the strenghened Downtube for the FR can customorder the unstrenghened one for a bit extra cash to save some weight!

Greetings
    NoStyle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast