lazy piston
    Mar 2006

A new bike in the Helius line - the Helius AM

I've found this thread on the mtb-news.de forum where Falco discloses some details about a totally new bike in the Helius line. It's called Helius AM and is supposed to fill the gap between the lighter Helius CC and the burlier Helius FR.

Here's what I could understand from the thread (mind you, I don't speak German and had to use an online translator):
    The geo will resemble that of the FR, travel from 140 to 160 (unclear whether fixed or adjustable in that range; I would prefer the latter of course), compatible with 140-160 mm forks. Target weight: 3.5 kilos with shock (although I wonder if he meant air or coil shock because it's about half kilo difference in bare frame weight). It's supposed to be a "long travel all mountain" rig well suited for both uphills and downhills.

All of this makes me wonder if that is going to be the frame I would have picked if they had made it a year and a half ago. I opted for the FR but I think I would be eager to trade some of its burliness for a 500-gram saving on the frame weight.

However if the AM doesn't have the adjustability of the '07 FR and if those 3.5 kilos are with an air shock, I'd rather stick to my current rig.

mtbr member
    Ohh... would make sense.. although couldnt u do that already by going for a CC front and FR rear on a custom build?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    hey...you did pretty good on the translation

I have been following that thread

"Its All Good"
    Sounds very interesting indeed.... They must indeed see a fit for it....

If it handles anythign at all like the FR it will be pure beast..... Am just loving my FR....

The CC is a flippin fast bike though.......Almost like a full stable range of Helius's.... CC, AM; FR, ST
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It all started when Falco mentioned in another thread, that Nicolai is planning a new Helius version, because of the many bikers who wanted to ride a RS Totem (or MZ 66) in their FRīs, so Karl Nicolai gave in and FRīs coming now with a stronger downtube, which allows the usage of a Totem without risking your warranty.

And to fill this bigger gap between the CC and the FR, Nicolai will make a "Helius AM", which according to Falco will be available from April. Like Smith said, 140-160mm rear travel, desigend for same travel in front, geometry similar to the FRīs, weight about 3,5kg (not mentioned if with steel or air, but since itīs designed as a "long-travel All-Mountain" propably air). Nicolai sees the frame for "alpinesque" riding without competition ambition. It will not have a Freeride clearence. The AM will be a nicely balanced bike, which will be good on uphills as on downhills alike, with attention to safety and comfort, as well to agility and efficiency. Falco made also clear, that it wonīt be just a beefed CC or diet-version of the FR, but a completely new designed frame.

Now the (painful) waiting for the first pictures begin ...

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    so...Whafe...R U coming again to DE so that we can go take proto pics?

mtbr member
    Blimey haven't they only just tweaked the Helius FR? Dam a Totem ready Fr would have been perfect lol

"Its All Good"
    For sure sounds it exciting. My stable is fine as it is. I need NO more bikes......

Cool to see Nicolai pushing the envolope as usual, great stuff.....

Makes me even more confident with how my build is and the strength of my overall ride...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"El Whatever"
    Man, that'd be the ride of my dreams.

Everything sounds good... weight, travel, geo... Damn!!

As Whafe has said to me many times... Everything starts with a dream. Time to start saving!
    Check my Site

steep fast and loose :)
    further info available on the mtb.de website - looks like a definite possibility