mtbr member

new AM and Ion 18 using E-type front mechs?

did i miss this? just oggling the ion 18 and new AM and i see there's a bolt hole above the BB pivot on both. does this mean they can both now run an e-type mech? if so thats great for the ion18. far tidier than a stubby mech tower like the AFR.

almost talked myself into an AM with AFR DT till i spotted that. Ion18 is now back on the cards(unless of course ive got it wrong!)
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Seems to be the way it's going. What I heard is that the new production is ready for a modified Sram X9 direct mount on both bikes. To me that's the better solution as there will be no more fiddling around to get the mech set up properly without hitting the chainstay in travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Dipper did you resolve the weight of the Ion 18? It was being billed as weighing the same as the Ion 20 and I agreed with your comment about that making it not as versatile as the AFR.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    When I got backfrom Africa I was going to build up an afr as a lightweight hard hitting bike. If the ion 18 is so much heavier I might have to look at other options.

mtbr member
    not really no. however ive ordered one for a customer so going to wait till it turns up and weigh it myself. I dont 'need' an ion18 or AFR but i want to be able to run my 180mm bos idylle SC's and i love the offset seat tube of the AFR. alternative option is an AM with AFR DT. Or even shorten the travel of the forks.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

Distributor
    Nicolai are experimenting with Direct Mount front mechs. However, the picture shown is a prototype that did not work so my understanding is that it's not yet a fitment on new orders. It will hopefully come through as a mid year revision.

At the moment we are still able to order AFR's but this won't continue long term so if there is anyone who was on the verge of buying one place an order now while it's still an option - I can't promise how long this will continue without a significant upcharge (While there are still some on the order book they need to set the machines up for AFR parts so adding a few extra isn't a problem).
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com