mtbr member
    Feb 2009

New AC Ordered.........some queries

I have recently ordered myself a Helius AC and am now purchasing bits in preparation for when it comes.

1. Deep insert headset - is this really required or will i be OK with my chris king standard headset off my old Turner 5 Spot?

2. I will be fitting a Rohloff hub - what position will i require the chainring to be in on the front chainset e.g. middle or large? Reading the Rohloff notes it states that it has a 54mm chainline requiring the large chainring to be used. If this is the case how do i run a bash? Is this just spaced off the large chainring and bolted through with longer chainring bolts?

3. Another Rohloff related query but this time for the requirement of a chain guide. Will i need one? Can anyone who runs this setup give some advice please? What makes/models are available and how is this setup in conjunction with a bashguard?

steep fast and loose :)
    1. itll be fine.
    2.not sure.
    3.why if it has rohloff d/outs ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    TLR: chaingrowth, can't tighten the chain like you do on a hardtail or Nucleon AM.

I think it depends on how you ride it.

steep fast and loose :)
    of course !

mtbr member
    May 2008
    1. It'll be fine, but the HT will not be covered by the warranty

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    3. I don't use chain guide and I've Rohloff doupouts. Just in very hard riding conditions the chain can jump out... I would advise a use of a DH Rohloff tensioner, which is shorter a stronger.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Also think about using an e13 or MRP 1x9 guide. Simple to fit behind the BB cups and will give you all the security you're likely to need.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    geetee1972 - i assme your not running a bash?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Jason - I have run my Heilus AM this way yes, with a 1x9 MRP guide. I found that they work reasonably well but I did lose the chain off the bottom of the ring quite a bit. That's not a problem as long as you don't pedal backwards when it happens. If you do, then the chain torques against the plastic top guide and flexes it inwards enough for the chain to then jam between the back plate and the chainring.

Consequently I gave up on them and I now run a full e13LG1+ on a 1x9 regular transmission set up.

However I am aware that I am a bit of a hooligan and I seem to suffer from losing my chain far more than other people do.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wpuk
    1. It'll be fine, but the HT will not be covered by the warranty

Sorry to highjack your thread , but will my CC (see other recent thread) will covered by warranty with a regular headset? Or, as it is second hand anyway, is there a warranty?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Nicolai provides a five year warranty on all their frames and while there may be some that aren't included in that, I am certain that the CC is.

Rather uniquely, this warranty is transferable. I don't know of another bike company, or come to think of it, any other company period, who provides a transferable warranty.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dazzlingboy
    Sorry to highjack your thread , but will my CC (see other recent thread) will covered by warranty with a regular headset? Or, as it is second hand anyway, is there a warranty?
    AC upwards require the deep insert headset for the HT to be covered under warranty

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ah, so the question from both the OP and myself is - do we need a deep set headset to satisfy warranty??

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Understood - so I'm ok with my CC jack! Many thanks wpuk.

Nicolai
    1. Deep headset is required and strongly recommanded, i have customer who flared the bottom cup of the headtube due to low insert headset. actually for your frame, you only need a minimum 22mm on the lower cup

2+3.. Most of our set ups uses 32T chainring with a 13T rear cog and DH tensioner. ( i.e. middle chainring) we might have to work around the BB spacer to make the chainring go closer by +/- 3mm(1spacer) towards the frame. ANd usually the chain line is fine that way. run a bash and just a to inner guide to make sure the chain downn fall inwards from the chainring.

chain has been shortened by 1 link. from this picture

mtbr member
    Attitude + bikes = Stunning attention to detail.

Polished Atlas cranks?

Nicolai
    not sure but definately some old raceface cranks :0 it has been changed to noir from truvative now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AttitudeBikes
    not sure but definately some old raceface cranks :0 it has been changed to noir from truvative now
    What's the bashguard on that sweet rig?
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

Nicolai
    We made those pm me if u need one . Cheap strong and light!