mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Need help to ID this Helius frame

I still have a soft-spot for Nicolai since I used to have 2003 Nucleon ST (I loved that thing).

Anyways, I ride a Scott Ransom now and it's ok. No complaints really but I saw this posted on pinkbike and I thought 'what better way to get back on with Nicolai?'.

The problem is this person advertises this Helius frame as an "AM" and "large".

I have my doubts:

A) Based on the thicker swingarm, it looks like it's from the "ST" series.
    B) The seattube is offset with the derailleur post. That leads me to think it's again, an "ST" or no where near a "large".

What do you guys think??? I'm waiting on a reply back from the seller as well.
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9

mtbr member
    Its a late model helius st i reckon
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    id defo say ST

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Yeah, after looking up Nicolai specs sheets, it's an ST... which is ok! Although it doesn't look like a large. I'll have to get my hands on it and measure things.
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Isn't it a bit strange the seller got the model wrong?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It's a bit strange that no one has questioned the provenance. Usually not having any idea about the details of the thing you're selling means it's been pinched. It could have been bought second hand by the seller though, which might also explain the lack of insight into what it is.

Anyway, whatever it's authenticity, it certainly looks to be in great condition. Chris it looks lovely, how much is the seller asking for it? It would end up being a DH/Freeride bike though given the weight. Didn't the Helius ST weigh something like 4.5kg?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Here's the ad - Nicolai Helius Am - Pinkbike.com

The same seller sold a "Nicolai TFR" which they entitled a "Nicolai Nucleon AM" with the interesting phrase "with I think 14 gears" and didn't list the components. Nicolai Nucleon Am - Pinkbike.com

Looks weird to me, but you never know... maybe just a legitimate lack of attention to detail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    But that's a big lack of attention to detail. You'd figure having a high-end frame, you would know everything about it because you put time and money into it. Doesn't seem right but still interesting.

4.5kg is what I read somewhere. I'm trying to find the frame weight to the Scott Ransom (which is supposed to be heavy) for a comparison.
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9

mtbr member
    tis a bit strange but you'd be surprised. top end bikes can attract the 'more money than sense types'. obviously that doesnt include the class acts around here. we're just connoisseurs
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have more money than sense, but I still know my frame type and how many gears I have.

mtbr member
    hmmmm not sure id be mailing large amounts of coin to that person based on that advert and profile.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    He's in the same area as me so I would at least see it before I made a move. I still have doubts about the size. Although I know it's hard to judge a frame size when it's not built up.
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9

mtbr member
    Ahhh was going to say unless you paid cash on collection I wouldn't bother.
    You'll have to check but sure there is a way to get to PDF manuals of older Nic frames as I found one for my FR.... Infact somewhere I might even have the catalogue for the last year they made the FR and ST, I'll have a rummage and see what I can find.
    "When the gate drops the ******** stops"

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Hmmm... just found the weight of the Scott Ransom is 8.35lbs vs the weight of the Helius at 9.9lbs
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
    Hmmm... just found the weight of the Scott Ransom is 8.35lbs vs the weight of the Helius at 9.9lbs
    And for a good reason... just google for cracks on Ransoms (aluminum, carbon, the shock itself) and for Nicolais (all models if you want to) and tell me where you get more carnage.
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"
    Am pretty sure the Large ST had more of a seat tower, but hey it could have been a custom build....

When you touch it for the first time, maybe put welding gloves on, so as you prevent a 3rd degree burn, it could be hot.... I so so hope not... But just sounds a bit suss....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    When you touch it for the first time, maybe put welding gloves on, so as you prevent a 3rd degree burn, it could be hot.... I so so hope not... But just sounds a bit suss....
    It's 'hawt' regardless of the provenance Whafe

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Whafe, you read my mind. All the pics of the large Helius' had more seat tube. But it could be a custom job. Plus I've seen Nicolai frames from the same year having slight cosmetic differences. Either way, it's still tempting to build up a second bike.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Am pretty sure the Large ST had more of a seat tower... yes it is!

mtbr member
    NICOLAI Katalog 2009 this might help its the catalogue from 09, the last year they did the ST, the frame sizes are in there somewhere.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have a medium ST and that looks identical size wise. They do measure up big when compared to other manufacturers 'medium' frames - mine has a 18.5" seat tup (theoretical when measured from centre of BB to top of seat tube).

If you need any more actual measurements taking from mine, just give me a shout.