Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

My Nicolai Helius FR

mtbr member
    yes yes yes.. gold with black. fabulous!

Good to see another Fr with he minnars how you finding them? loving the burtec hubs too!

Shame you only just signed up on this board you missed the big Nic get together!

Whats the build weight?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Great looking bike love the colors. You need to change the bolt on the rear shock to the bottom the top is for air shock. You will not get all your travel out of bike. Good luck with it you will love it.

mtbr member
    I think Karve hit the nail on the head... Stunning

I also like the shadow on the Nicolai sticker.
    Last edited by 5c0tty; 07-08-2008 at 07:06 AM.
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

banned
    Stunning. Would look lovely with a CCDB in gold.

FWIW, I met a guy out here with a Euro spec 36 TALAS and it was all black...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    .Hi Ian Pinder, like the spec. The Burgtec stuff is really good. Have you considered their bars as well? I agree with Jerk Chicken the new gold CCDB would be the way to go and would look great on your bike. They are well worth the money in my opinion. Just got the new one myself for an ST build with red ano bits.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Cheers guys for all the comments, I will get the ccdb when I loose some weight and can get the correct spring fitted, currently I can not.

I didn't go for the burgtec bars as again I am heavy and they have been know to snap, where as there pedals and hubs are bomb proof.

I really like the way the colours come together and I am not so sure about black forks as I liek the way silver lightens everything up.

The decals worked better then I could ever of imagined...

The build weight is 35.7lbs and the full spec is:

08 Nicolai helius fr
    08 fox talas 36 r
    xtr cranks with a hope ceramic bb and blackspire rings (the xtr rings and bb are being used as spares for my xc bike)
    xtr shadow rear mech
    xtr shifters
    xtr cassette
    xt front mech
    burgtec snow camo hubs, on mavic ex721 with dt comp spokes
    schwalbe big betty tires
    thompson stem and seatpost
    race face diablous bars
    formula the ones greg minnar special editions
    burgtec pedels
    e13 drs chain device with a blackspire c4 bash
    ti sdg bell air saddle
    king headset
    and a pcc 991 hollowpin chain

steep fast and loose :)
    not sure about the gold bling, but nice build / spec otherwise.

and TALAS R's on a coil sprung FR seems a bit of an oxymoron ? esp. a DHX sprung FR.
    I'd be looking for a more naturally balanced front / rear stroke / damping rate. minimum Van 36 RC2 or coil sprung TOTEM (over-kill perhaps ?)

banned
    The springing medium is proving to be less and less a factor in that one can't immediately jump to a conclusion such as the two suspended ends being unbalanced in feel due to different springing media. In the case of my RFX, the springing is balanced with my TALAS RC2 up front and a CCDB in the back. It matched well to a stock DHXc as well.

By comparison, the feel was less matched with my Z1 Light, BUT I don't care to make the two ends feel the same because they both do what they do under different conditions, so why make them feel the same?

balance damping and compression combined with regulated rebound will lead to a better balanced and better geometrically affected frameset.
    hence, it's better to mate two suspension systems that work in harmony with similar principles than two that aren't or don't.
    a better geometrically balanced frameset will corner better under load and provide more gradual feel when pushing the front past adhesion. the idea being such that the frameset remains balanced under compression and rebound and utilising simailar systems (i.e. coil sprung suspension designs) will lend itself better to tuning and set up than using air springs / coils springs.

all imho of course.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    balance damping and compression combined with regulated rebound will lead to a better balanced and better geometrically affected frameset.
    hence, it's better to mate two suspension systems that work in harmony with similar principles than two that aren't or don't.
    a better geometrically balanced frameset will corner better under load and provide more gradual feel when pushing the front past adhesion. the idea being such that the frameset remains balanced under compression and rebound and utilising simailar systems (i.e. coil sprung suspension designs) will lend itself better to tuning and set up than using air springs / coils springs.

all imho of course.
    Sorry, but it sounds like you've been hanging around Derby too much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ok but at the end of the day the coil vans and coil totems are only rated to 100kg, and I am heavier then that, therefore the talas air fork is the one I had to go for.

i'd expect a coil sprung oil damped fork to have a weight limit way in excess of an air sprung unit.
    Talas needs air pressure for preload, and the more air pressure in the negative spring will impair performance. air springs rely on seals to provide negative spring rates and as pneumatic pressure increases, the seals will be exposed to more load / stress.

jerk chick - derby ?????

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Nope if you speak to tim at tf tuned or mojo they will agree that your better of with an air fork. I thought alot about this as the van is black....... Once I have lost the required weigh I shall be getting a van fork in black, and a gold ccdb with a ti spring..........

why do you want the CCDB ?
    i have on on my 6 Pack as the leverage ratio causes a DHX and ROCO to blow through the mid stroke, but dipper had an 08 FR with ROCO and no control or damping issues due to the FR's leverage / stroke dynamic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    No other reason then I can

i read in another post your lack of requirement for compression damping on forks - how will you cope on set up with LSC / HSC / LSR and HSR on the CCDB ?
    don't forget spring rate can be less as the CCDB has better mid stroke control but you won't notice as you'll have the LSC wound right up

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    LOL you do have a point, and my lbs brought up the same point when i was telling them my plan, just have to hope that by the time i buy my new forks and shock I know what everything does

are you winding us up ?
    i sincerely hope you are trolling, otherwise you're doomed !
    fwiw, the CCDB comes with base set up values, but the FR is so laterally stiff out the box that damping rates can be reduced and spring rates can be reduced too. usually 50# less than the standard on a ROCO or DHX and 50# less using CC's Ti spring option.
    gravity sports [www.gravity-sports.co.uk] do a custom shock / spring selection program for CCDB purchasers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    are you winding us up ?
    i sincerely hope you are trolling, otherwise you're doomed !
    fwiw, the CCDB comes with base set up values, but the FR is so laterally stiff out the box that damping rates can be reduced and spring rates can be reduced too. usually 50# less than the standard on a ROCO or DHX and 50# less using CC's Ti spring option.
    gravity sports [www.gravity-sports.co.uk] do a custom shock / spring selection program for CCDB purchasers.
    I didn't check with gravity sports, but i need an 1100lb spring on my dhx, and my lbs spoke to cc and they said they couldnt do it.

1100# - you are taking the p1$$ of course

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    nope i'm not

what's your riding (kitted up weight) in kg ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    about 145kg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast