Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

My Argon Rocc, Gates, Lefty

Well here it is after some time of ordering and building. Good things come to those who wait! Thanks goes out to John Fagone (aka NCIG) for hooking me up with the frame and Jonathan at Fort Worth Cycling for ordering various other items and building the wheels and bike. I have more pics, but these should get you started. I will post specs if people are curious. Needless to say I'm pleased with the rsukts. She weighs in at around 24.5lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Argon Rocc, Gates, Lefty-sidea.jpg  

My Argon Rocc, Gates, Lefty-sideb.jpg  

My Argon Rocc, Gates, Lefty-fronta.jpg  

My Argon Rocc, Gates, Lefty-rohloff_reara.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Amazing bike!!! Congrats

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Matt the bike is awsome that is one pretty bike can't wait to here about the ride.
    Great job!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    That thing is really sweet!

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Wow, thats pretty.

mtbr member
    Really amazing bike !
    I don't need sex, life f*cks me everyday.....

mtbr member
    Absolutley awesome ride. Lovley details.

One Q.. How narrow are those bars

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for all the compliments. The bars are 560mm in width.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    wow pretty bike !!!

do you test it what is the feeling of the gate carbon drive transmission?

mtbr member
    OMG I've just weed myself. That is amazing. Love the detail and the red 'hoff looks amazing

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril_88
    wow pretty bike !!!

do you test it what is the feeling of the gate carbon drive transmission?
    I've actually been too busy the last few days and it's in the low hundreds here in Texas! I'm dying to get on it. Tonight or tomorrow for sure. At the bike shop I tested the shifting a bit and it's a little rough. I heard it takes somewhere around 500 miles to break in! Once I get some miles in I'll post some ride reports.

"Its All Good"
    Amazing looking bike, simple yet really intense.... Cant wait to hear how this rides and your thoughts on the tranny etc....

Awesome...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

30° Czech

beautiful bike
    If life gives you lemons, cry like a little girl

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    @mateo: Congrats, man!

Do you have the intention to install the UNIVERSAL TRANSMISSIONīs "Snubber", too?

There are already some German light weight freaks who became lovers of your beautiful NICOLAI ride.

Another nice bike with similar components like RO(H)LEX (!), GATES and CANNONDALE Lefty, but with a titanium frame and 29er wheels, too:

The only downside of this bike so far I can see: Unfortunately, it is NOT a NICOLAI!
    Last edited by Wilhelm6; 08-07-2010 at 03:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Wilhelm6, great photos. thanx.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nice video from the relaunched website: NICOLAI Argon FR + RO(H)LEX + GATES, unfortunately without CANNONDALE Lefty:

Tour des Alpes - Les Sybelles - WHYEX Productions

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yes, very cool cool pics and bike as well. What is teh "Snubber"? Never heard of it. I'll check out the video too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Needless to say you should be pleased with those results. Gorgeous. How did you get Nicolai to spec the cannondale headtube and did you pay mega bucks.

martin

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the compliments. Nicolai spec'd the frame with the Lefty headtube with an upcharge of I believe 330Euro and I supplied all the engineering drawings which Cannondale supplied me. I still have them if you're interested. Yes, I paid mega bucks! I have ridden it some and I have to say that the Rohloff hub isn't living up to my expectations unfortunately. I understand about the break-in period but it has been skipping/grinding which makes me uneasy. I also have had a bad first experience with tubeless technology. I started with non-tubless tires and Stan's goop and since that didn't work, I bought maxxis tubeless tires and I broke five plastic tire irons getting thim on the Stan's rims! I can't get them off now to switch back to tubes! I barely was able to put more goop in the front as it didn't hold air without the goop. Crazy. Oh well. Live and learn I guess. Other than that the bike is awesome.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

lefty

Hi

Interesting, it would be handy to look at the schematics. How do you find the lefty fork? Great idea not sure on performance or servicing. Shame about the rohloff. I have always been sceptical, but convinced it was good because it was german. I am looking at gates carbon but with single speed, still trying to work out best ratio. Am torn between raw and gloss sky blue finish. As for the tubless, i went back to tubes not long ago, and so much better. On the trail i whip out the punctured tube and stick in a new one. I have not really got the trade off with tubeless yet.

cheers

martin

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The Lefty seems great. No worries with it. To be honest the trails here in Texas don't really tax it. Before this bike I was riding a custom built fully rigid magnesium frame ti front fork hardtail 17lb total bike and loving it. So, the Lefty seems fine to me. It's a light front end with an anchor rear! (but I really don't notice the weight in the rear)

Nicolai
    you may wish to check and make sure both shifter lines are of equal length / equal tension. and the grinding should stop, also the initial break in period isntg friendly with on load shifting so you have to back off a little to shift

by the way guys, do you guys have any problem on the belt jumping teeth even the tension of the belt is collectlly assembled with the gates tension meter and a snubber assembled??

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah, I think I do need to check my cables and belt tension. The belt does seem a little loose and it appears the dropout adjustment may be max'ed out! Thanks for the tips. What is this 'snubber' I have heard about? Is it something that keeps the belt from slipping on the rear sprocket?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Shifter cable installation is key in a Rohloff. It'll take you a couple of hours to do it right, but it is worth it. I have now used my hub for 6 years on 4 different bikes (2 Nicolai's, 1 On One and 1 Sycip). It does get better after what seems like forever, but you will never get the snap acceleration of a Chris King, single speed (or geared for that matter) hub. The hub will also help you not go over the handlebars, though.

Having said that, if you are interested in getting rid of the hub, I'll take it off your hands. You can PM me if you want to discuss further.

Distributor

Odd behaiviour

>the Rohloff hub isn't living up to my expectations unfortunately. I understand about the break-in >period but it has been skipping/grinding which makes me uneasy.

This doesn't sound right. From what I understand of the way a Rohloff works it's not possible for it to skip and when I've had that problem (and sent the hub back to the factory - d'oh) it turned out to be the chain skipping over a worn sprocket. Suspect the problem in your case is the belt and not the hub.

Belt tension should be pretty high - the skipping sounds like a slack belt but if you're out of adjustment I wonder if you have the correct one. The snubber is meant to help the belt retention but I'd be surprised if that alone will sort you out. Talk to the factory on this.

They do 'grind' a bit for a while but that's your running in - it's true that they actually get better with age. I don't believe this affects drag unduly and you don't notice it off road.

Cables are important but shouldn't take long to install - I swapped some out in 15minutes or less the other day. It's important to get the length of the inners right - the measuring tube that Rohloff sell makes this a lot quicker/easier - but other than that should be fine. A mistake i made early on was to have the tension too high - don't worry about lining up the indicator numbers and try running a little slacker (you should be able to feel the click between gears - if it's too tight you cant). Personally I don't think the Rohloff inner/outer combo is that great - using other brake cable and inners seems better.

>I also have had a bad first experience with tubeless technology. I started with non-tubless >tires and Stan's goop and since that didn't work, I bought maxxis tubeless tires and I broke >five plastic tire irons getting thim on the Stan's rims! I can't get them off now to switch back >to tubes! I barely was able to put more goop in the front as it didn't hold air without the >goop. .

That's odd. Which tyres/rim combo are they? I gave up on non-UST tyres (waste - most beads aren't accurate enough) and now I'm running High Roller/Ignightor on Arch rims. I don't remember fitting being a problem.
    Last edited by nicolai-uk; 04-14-2011 at 04:04 AM.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast