mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mmmmm....just a little something that turned up today

Well, no point in posting if you haven't got your Nic to hand, and my CC is still missing in action (has been since last November in fact....still more about that soon I hope).

Anyway, just to cheer me up (hey, not only did I not have the Nic, but I snapped my hardtail in January too) I thought I'd order another Nic....The Argon FR, in Signal Yellow.

Big thanks to Dipper at Gravity Sports for sorting me out with this - Thank you Richard!

Can't wait to build her up and ride her on the weekend!

local trails rider
    Singlespeed dropouts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Very nice! Congrats!

How will it be spec'ed ?

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Nice one mate i really like these alot, i like the idea of the completley replaceable dropouts, very very cool

Congrats!

Burly build or racey?
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

Fat & Single
    Very nice

I hope to get an email from Dipper anyday now too ....
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks guys. Yes, there is a lot that is appealing about this bike - versatility, stiffness, ability to take a pretty long fork (upto 150 mm I believe), it's a Nicolai....etc. I have got through 3 hardtails now in the past 2 years (all the frames have broken in some way) so I'm hoping this is the one. Only took about 4 weeks from order to arriving in the UK too!

perttime - as derekr points out the dropouts are replaceable, in part becuase they are reversible, so you can choose to run SS or geared. I am going to start geared, but should be ideal for winter running here in the UK.

In terms of build, it will be quite burly. I shall be mostly using kit I've got already, but there are some things that I'll replace down the line. Main things on the build to note are the wheels - I have got some Stan's Flow rims on King hubs - should be plenty burly for this bike, and have some 2.4" Maxxis ADvantage tyres that I'll be running tubeless. Fork will be a Magura Menja 130 - nice and stiff, pretty linear, but I think something like a Pike could be an option later in the year (I'll see how the Menja's go). Other stuff will be RF cranks, X0 drivetrain, Thomson finishing kit, Marta SL's (plenty powerful IME). Finally, I'm probably going to give the King BB a go on this bike - just got to get hold of one in gold to set the frame of nicely!

Cheers

I did fancy one of those too, i would have run a fox36 float with the travel spacers to 130mm - Would be super stiff and super smooth... I just cant justify it though as i'm waiting for my new FR frame to come and replace the AM!!

I just recently got an urban flying machine too with the alfine hub (Which i'm MEGA impressed with, but its never been off the tarmac!) Apparently the alfine can be run off road, i have no idea how strong it is etc but it works a treat and would be an awesome winter option on a hardtail! Thats why i mention it as your new frame would be perfect for it and you get the best of both worlds; clean looks of a singlespeed without the limitations of 1 gear and you have 8 to play with
    Just a cheaper, better value option than a rolhoff which i really just couldnt justify.
    Disadvantage is its still fugly as hell like the rolhoff and make the rear end a bit like your running lead instead of air in the tyres he he he

BTW - Cant wait to see it all built up Is that a new sticker with the w3 nicolai that goes on all the frames? I noticed it on another frame recently...

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx

I hope to get an email from Dipper anyday now too ....
    ME TOO; ME TOO; ME TOO

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Alfine could be an option indeed - as you say it'll add a stack of weight out back though.

Anyway, you won't have to wait for long - I shall be getting after the build this week in time for the weekend and will post plenty up then!

mtbr member
    very nice mate - loving the bright yellow - awesome - make sure you share when she is all built up!

mtbr member

Looking forward to seeing this... an Argon FR was on my list as an option to replace my hardtail but I've since made a few component tweaks and have fallen in love all over again so no purchase planned.

mtbr member
    Lovely. Looking forward to seeing it built up.

It would be an ideal bike for Big Bird from Sesame Street

steep fast and loose :)
    looking forward to seeing it built up.

i'm a HT freak too.

keep it real.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    For all the great suspension bikes we get on here, nice to see people loving the Nic hardtails too. Building to commence this evening....I cannot wait to ride.

banned
    Very nice!

What happened to the CC?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    JC - let's just say I hope to be able to provide a positive update on that soon.....

"Its All Good"
    A whole lotta Yellow yumminess
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    OK, so not quite finished yet, mostly owing to the lack of a 31.6 mm Thomson seat post...(and a bit of a problem with getting the rear wheel aligned in the dropouts....). Anyway, the coming together of precision components has commenced! Hopefully first ride out one evening this week...

"Its All Good"
    You C &&^% K tease, more pictures please
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

steep fast and loose :)
    bb not needed facing for the ck bb installation ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ha Ha! All good things come to those that wait Whafe!

TLR - no, headtube, BB, disc mounts all faced.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well they are machiened, facing just isn't accurate enough for nicolai

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by derekr
    ME TOO; ME TOO; ME TOO
    I got mine derek ..... 2 days ago
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Yeah all Nicolai's come ready to build with extremely fine finishing

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I measured the BB too - exactly 68 MM!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quick update.....

Unfortunately the bike isn't yet built up despite me having it for about the best part of a month.

There is something going on with the frame, can't get the back wheel centered in the rear dropouts so after trying many wheels to check we're not missing anything obvious, it has got to go back to Nicolai.

I'll update when I've got something on it.....

Still, on the plus side, 4 months after taking my CC into the shop to get the cable mounts fixed by Nicolai, I got that back Friday, so at least one of my Nicolai's is rideable now...

mtbr member
    Deffo not an issue with the rear wheel dish?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    No, we've tried it with more than half a dozen wheels between myself and two dealers. Was certainly something we thought about early on though.

"Its All Good"
    mmmm sucky to hear this news, do hope it is an easy fix, looking forward to seeing this puppy ridden.....

Best of luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Just a quick thing, on your bb, the drive side should have two spacers and the off side only 1. it looks like in the picture above you have it the wrong way around.

Members who have read this thread: 0