mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Middleburn and Rohloff

Hi
    Anyone using a Middleburn crank with a Rohloff Speedhub on a Helius CC?

I've come to the end of my frustration level using Shimano HTII cranks (more like the short service life of the bottom brackets really).

Would like to fit a square taper Middleburn crank (38T) and use a Phil Wood or Royce bottom bracket for a reliable front end drive chain to match the Speedhub.

Rohloff needs a 54mm chainline though.

Any advice appreciated.
    Last edited by nicolap99; 09-21-2008 at 02:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Hi Nicolap -

I'm using Middleburns with a Speedhub, but on a steel hardtail, so not sure how much help I can be. I plan to move this wheel over to a Helius AM when funds allow, so I'll be interested to hear how you go. What sort of problems have you been encountering?

FWIW - I am using a 118mm ISIS BB with the Middleburn spider which gives 53 mm for the middle ring. This set-up has been problem-free for almost 2 years.

Do consider ISIS though, the SKF BBs are supposed to be pretty stout. I have been using a RF signature ISIS BB with no problems. I also use an E13 bash guard and a jump-stop to make sure I never loose the chain in the bouncy stuff.

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I live near Afan Argoed in South Wales (UK), the trails are widely regarded for some excellent man made riding.

The trails have excellent natural drainage as they are quite rocky without too much mud, but this in turn makes the wear rate on components quite high when it rains.

It rains quite alot...... one of the reasons I switched to the Speedhub was the continuous wear rate on chains and cassettes. The XT HTII outboard bearings just get contaminated with the fine sandy grit and become rough or seize up , difficult to get more than say two months riding out of them.

I recently tried the XT HTII shells with some of the Phil Wood replacement bearings, that lasted 200 miles, they are quite gritty but do still rotate.

Hadn't really considered the ISIS interface, but your comments fill me with a bit of curiosity and hope.

Thanks for the feedback

Distributor
    Sorry - one thing i forgot to post on STW. I've got a Middleburn crank on my hardtail but when i tried it on my Helius i found that the crank arms didn't clear the front chainguide.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the update Simon.

I guess this rules out the Middleburn cranks then, have to revert to keeping the HTII and investing in the Enduro bearing puller / press.

Might try some ceramic bearings as it seems these have a greater resilience to what I would call normal trail conditions.

Distributor
    I've got the enduro tools but the enduro bearings fared no better than the Race Face ones (they're both full complement rather than cage which means they're screwed as soon as any dirt gets in, which it does). The enduro bearings also lack the plastic sleeve which means they corrode onto the axle - not good.

Hope are meant to be worth a try. There's a theory that ceramic bearings are harder than the dirt that gets in, and they can't rust so shouldn't seize. I've not tried them yet.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

Distributor

new bb options

I'm going to be experimenting with one of these (actually, maybe one of each on two different bikes) when current bearings give up:

Hope
    http://www.hopegb.com/voir_bbcr.html - stainless steel bearings or ceramic bearings on stainless races. In theory neither of those should rust and sieze.

or

http://dirtcartel.com/2008/09/chris-...ottom-bracket/
    http://chrisking.com/bottombracket

which, with some undoubtably expensive tools, is serviceable whilst on the bike (although the cranks need to come off so i can't see it being something that's going to get done particularly often). Will be interesting to see if they offer any warranty on these but they must have some confidence in them - given the problems with everyone elses BB's it a stupid product for King to launch unless they think they've got them licked.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Simon
    The Hope unit looks like it could be good. The information on the Hope site says that the bearings are replacable.

The top hat doesn't sit on the Hollowtech axle, so Im presuming that the bearing can be punched out with a pin punch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

There is Hope

I've been using the Hope Stainless bottom bracket since early this year on my Helius and it's been reasonably tested first in the Dublin winter and more recently in the New Zealand winter here in Wellington. Lots of raining rides.

Just last week I popped it off to check and service, still sweet as, with no water ingress.

One thing I did do though is not use the Hope supplied spacers as they are soft as cheese and deform badly under correct torque. I'm using the BB spacers from a Race Face BB that bit the dust (or mud) - much harder.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Cant speak for King BBs (its still on order) but iv'e had no problems at all with both Hope and Acros ceramic BBs, seem to just keep going

steep fast and loose :)
    jersey rob - i'm running the hope ceramic on my hardtail, and it too seems to be holding out incredibly well. it;s seen some severe submergence and is still free and loose without either play or graunch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I certainly wouldnt use shimano or raceface again, although there both ment to have made improvements

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Trying a Hope stainless steel HTII bottom bracket (after reading some positive reviews). I'll see how it goes.

Simon Still (Nicolai UK) gave me some good advice about the Middleburn - apparently it won't work with the Rohloff chain guide as it doesn't have enough clearance.

If the Hope b/b fail then I'll keep on the the normal Shimano replacements for the Rohloff equipped bike, but could well change to Middleburn and a conventional b/b for the geared bike.

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Ive got the new XTR on installed which apparently has ceramic bearings, i'll let you know how long it lasts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    n99,

ACROS might be worth checking out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just thought I would update this old thread to say that I have just fitted a set of Middleburn RS7's with a Rohloff Chain Guide. To get the 54mm chainline I fitted a 4mm driveside spacer of my SKF BB and fitted the Chainring on the middle ring position. chainguide has plenty of clearence and I sitll have a perfect chainline!

David.

Pics Below:

My old Helius CC with new cranks!