"Its All Good"

Megavalanche Alpe d'Huez 2010 Discussion

Hi All

Please share your thoughts on this event.

Is it on the Sat 9th or July 10th?

How many days is needed prior to the race realistically?

Etc

Etc

Etc

Am checking flights, have enough points to come business class

How many of you Nicolai Peeps would committ?

Or is there some where better to have a big Nicolai meet up in Europe? Speak up..

Look forward to hearing from you fella's..
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    i'm going i'll probably be out there for 3 weeks, there are two races, it depends which one your signed up for, were going from monday to monday, then i'm staying out there either before or after, I know Karve always does a stint in the alps. Need to get places booked soon though.

mtbr member
    The weeks itinerary looks like this:

Monday 5th - Practice
    Tuesday 6th - Practice
    Wednesday 7th - Practice
    Thursady 8th - Practice
    Friday 9th - Qualifying
    Saturday 10th - Race Day - Mega Ladies, Mega Challengers, Mega Amateurs, Mega Affinity
    Sunday 11th - Race Day - Megavalanche, Mega Affinity

There are two seperate tracks for Qualifying and the race so you really need a few days practice to learn where you're going. The Mega course itself is 20 miles long and starts at the top of Pic Blanc at 3350m.

My entry is in and paid for.

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    I'm going with SDR08 so would be great to see other Nicolai owners there!
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

mtbr member
    Whafe, You thinking of comming across on your own or with others?

steep fast and loose :)
    Modern Mega's not my scene unfortunately - too many people / too crowded.
    i would much prefer Chamonix's trails with the occasional uplift. Brevent and Flegere are sublime Alpine locations :P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    Modern Mega's not my scene unfortunately - too many people / too crowded.
    i would much prefer Chamonix's trails with the occasional uplift. Brevent and Flegere are sublime Alpine locations :P
    'too many people / too crowded' it isn't....the qualifier and race days are busy but practice is not. it's a big mountain with loads of space and 2000 mountain bikers in a ski resort geared up for 30,000 skiers isn't a problem.

Si, If you don't fancy the race there's nothing stopping you from riding the trails all week and not taking part.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    TLR I have a good friend whom I grew up riding mountain bikes with, who lives in Chamonix. I spend some time there last year with him, riding La Flegere and it was absolutely amazing.

Have you done the run that goes through the little cafe nestled on the side of the mountain? We got some very strange looks from the guests when we rode through on DH bikes, full face helmets and body armour.

I won't be able to do the Mega as I can't be away from the wife and baby for that long, but I will at some point be over in the alps. Maybe a good event for a Nic meet would be the Pass Portes Du Soleil. As its not a race, the group would stay together and it would be more relaxed rather than super competitive.

geetee - yes , i've skied that run hundreds of times. follows a DH contour at nice speed and has some wondrous rolling humps. simply stunning looking over to the Gran Massif from La Chavanne ,the stone 'cafe' drink spot on the way to the Index chairlift
    i have a great photo there - i'll look it out

chamonix - truly earth's own heaven

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It is indeed - Ian, my friend, has done a lot of riding over there and always goes on about it so he made me promise I would go back and do more lift assisted stuff on the AM rather than on the DH bike. He talks about Brevant a lot and of course the DH track at Valorcine, which he says is obscene.

Brevent and Flegere are awesome south facers.
    any mtb on Grand Montets ?

"Its All Good"
    From my view point, if I make the trip from New Zealand, I want to ride with as many of you Nicolai peeps as possible, will that be at the MegaA or at another location, please let me know...

The Mega would be cool, but main thing would be to have a Nicolai gathering so to speak...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Are you asking me if I've done any or if there are any (or indeed both)? Haven't done anything but will ask my mate if there is anything.

One of the problems with Cham, as I'm sure you know, is that certain parts are off limits during the summer months. Not sure which these areas are but they're pretty strict about enforcing the no-biking rule.

If Whafe's travelling from NZ, i'll travel from God's country........

mtbr member
    Hey all - just thinking aloud here - bit of a thought dump

Here is the deal with me - if im hitting the alps its one of the few opportunities I get a year to stretch the legs on the big bike so just a week of lift assist DH would appeal more than the mega. Its nice to have a focus like the mega but from mates who have been its not the best week of riding..... but it is a great event. A week tackling steep sketch in mogins verbier or chatel could appeal more.

Pass Portes Du Soleil is a great event too but thats more of an AM event than DH goodness and takes in the less challenging stuff. Id happily do it on a XC bike. I did quite a bit of it a year or 2 ago. I know that area well so could deffo do some guiding.

Super super keen for some kinda hook up however

mtbr member
    Just thinking - I guess it depends whos up for it? - if there arnt that many with DH sleds then I guess it will influence the type of terrain tackled and we go more AMish.

i'm happy to do the DH's, but would like some long sweet singletrack.......

"Its All Good"
    I think a location that suits more peeps is the go, just my thoughts.... The Mega would be awesome, but think overall a get together elsewhere maybe better....

A thought, what say those of you in the know, list a few destinations and we can kind of have a vote... Karve, TLR, SDR08, Dipper etc, can you do the Mega and another trip?

Bring in the destinations... Closish to a decent airport would be great for me, not just up the road

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well how about Chamonix? Geneva is big enough for everyone to get to and the transfers are easy to arrange and not expensive.
    The riding there is perfectly suited to either riding all day AM or full on DH. We could always do two types of ride during the day, either two groups - AM and DH or spend the morning doing AM and the afternoon pure DH.
    I will aks my mate who lives there whether he knows anyone who has suitable accomodation.

the other place to think about would be Spain. I know a few people who have been out there and they say the riding is amazing. Will find out the location.

"Its All Good"
    Awesome geetee, great suggestions.... In the January Dirt Mag, there is a grea tlist of 50 great ride spots in Europe....

I am cool to come anywhere, so long as there is a good number of Nicolai peeps... I organized a Titus ride in Fruita and Moab that was awesome, I had a wonderful ride time with the UK Nicolai Peeps..... So be cool if a good few can commit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I can do two trips, though I'm just about to order another nicolai so that might change!

"Its All Good"
    Shall I make a thread to a Europe Nicolai Group Ride as opposed to MegaA...... ???

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    yup

"Its All Good"
    Lets move to this thread for the intended trip = Nicolai Europe Group Ride / Stokage......