Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    "Its All Good"

Good job! Meet my new Girl.......

Being injured with a broken arm and in a cast, getting the Helius AM29er finished is going to be slower than I would have liked...

The frame is on its way.......

Nicolai have given me a few shots of the AM29er frame, so without further ado, please meet my new girl, the Nicolai Helius AM29er.......

Build spec thus far......

Frame: Helius AM29er Custom (Helius AFR rear end)
    Fork: 150mm White Bros (will change very soon)
    Shock: RS Vivid Air
    Headset: Cane Creek Angle Set
    Wheels: Enve AM rims, Hadley hubs, Sapium bladed spokes
    Crankset: RF Sixc dual (will run as a single ring up front)

Still working on other bits n bobs to finalize...

Last edited by Whafe; 02-03-2011 at 01:46 AM.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Outstanding!

I was wondering what the seat tube/BB junction was going to look like. I think I am set on the Enve and Sixc myself. Not so sure about the CC angle set, but I will probably go that way or the 110.

Wow, she is a beauty. Can't wait to see her all done up!
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

"Its All Good"
    Its interesting to look closely at the AM tubing AFR rear on the AM29er up against the rear end of an AFR (thanks SowX, using your frame)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meet my new Girl.......-sowx-afr-frame1.jpg  

Meet my new Girl.......-am29er-frame1.jpg  

The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Very cool Whafe, the frame makes great sense. Colors are nice aswell.

It can probably make your arm heal just a little bit quicker!

How tall are you? 6feet2?

You should have gone for the Dorado though!

Cheers / Mike

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by mikael_nr1
    Very cool Whafe, the frame makes great sense. Colors are nice aswell.

It can probably make your arm heal just a little bit quicker!

How tall are you? 6feet2?

You should have gone for the Dorado though!

Cheers / Mike
    Thanks Mike, am slightly taller than 6 feet 2, closer to 6 feet 4...

Going with the Dorado is not out of the question. I have gone with the CC Angle Set so as with more forks coming out for 29ers, it will enable changes etc to be made. So the 150mm White Bros is only to start out with.

So time will tell.... I am totally going into this knowing it is not going to be sorted first build, it will take some time....

I have no doubt that Fox & RS must have a long travel single crown fork coming in the next 12 - 18 months.....

mtbr member
    Very slick - whats the travel on that thing going to be?
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    Very slick - whats the travel on that thing going to be?
    Hi ya Karve, travel will be 150mm in the rear......

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    150mm of travel is damned good considering chainstays are relatively short and 29er tires on that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Wow... been following this thread for a while now and it was so worth it. She is gorgeous!

Quick question for you, what's the rear shock eye-eye/stroke?

mtbr member
    Stunning. Sorry to hear about your arm hopefully you'll be up and running soon. Have to admit when I broke my wrist last summer I kept riding ;o)

rr
    I don't do PC
    Bummer about the arm what happened?

At least you have that beauty to build up and drool over till you heal up, very nice! Is it front der compatable?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Frame looks fantastic !
    Hope Nicolai ads it to their lineup permanently like Helius AC 29er.

But, but......no crosspost to 29er forum !?

Trophy Husband
    Well...fvck a duck! That looks damned sweet. I can't wait to ride it.

WTF did you do to your arm? Should be healed in time for Whistler this year, no?
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Whafe, looks real good.
    Was it at your request that they made the shock shuttle adjustable, like the older style Nics? Does this mean you can run different i2i shocks?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Very nice. Look forward to seeing it built.

What are the colours?

Get well soon.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini73
    Wow... been following this thread for a while now and it was so worth it. She is gorgeous!

Quick question for you, what's the rear shock eye-eye/stroke?
    Gem - thanks for the comments..

Shock measurements
    Eye to Eye: 216mm (8,5")
    Stroke: 63mm (2,5")

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by mikael_nr1
    150mm of travel is damned good considering chainstays are relatively short and 29er tires on that.
    Yep, agree, this was the pivotal part for me Mike, shortening the chainstays, as I may have mentioned, this was doable by building the AFR type rear, of which allowed us to do this... A negative to some though, is the fact that cannot run a front der, well you can, but travel would be reduced to 120mm...

@ 1x10 though, can be pretty versatile, I am not concerned with not having a front der.... I also got it so as I could if needed run a Hammer S, but for me, awesome kit, but not for me now...

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugtree
    Stunning. Sorry to hear about your arm hopefully you'll be up and running soon. Have to admit when I broke my wrist last summer I kept riding ;o)
    Yeah, pain about my arm big time. The cast is almost up to my shoulder, so pretty hard to do much... Dont worry, I will try...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meet my new Girl.......-cast-lol.jpg  

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Bummer about the arm what happened?

At least you have that beauty to build up and drool over till you heal up, very nice! Is it front der compatable?
    Hi ya Bro

Simple crash, had finished our ride, of which was a gooden too... (see pics in the January Nicolai in action thread) Chatted to some buddies at the trail head, as I was riding to my car, all of 40 M's from where we were chatting, I went over the bars, down onto the gravel carpark, hit the ground with my wrist, of which was ok, but not the bone below my elbow....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Yeah, pain about my arm big time. The cast is almost up to my shoulder, so pretty hard to do much... Dont worry, I will try...
    You can still grip with your hand,Get out and ride
    Arm is set in an agressive riding position,should be fine

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojos Azules
    Frame looks fantastic !
    Hope Nicolai ads it to their lineup permanently like Helius AC 29er.

But, but......no crosspost to 29er forum !?
    yeah thanks for the comments, was stoked that in the end my Helius AC 29er made it into the Nicolai lineup permanently.... Have to say, the AC29er is still my most favorite bike, the one I would choose if I could only have one......

I better cross post something to the 29er Forum

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Well...fvck a duck! That looks damned sweet. I can't wait to ride it.

WTF did you do to your arm? Should be healed in time for Whistler this year, no?
    I prefer sheep, you so already know that !!!!!

You will ride it at some stage for sure... Dam arm... Not sure if Whistler will be this year or next, but defiantly soon. We are keen to get my main crew in NZ whom have not ridden whizzer to get there.. I miss the place.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm100
    Was it at your request that they made the shock shuttle adjustable, like the older style Nics? Does this mean you can run different i2i shocks?
    Yeah, want to make things as flexible as can be, hence the ability to change angles along with a 1.5 H tube so as can change angles as better single crown forks become available...

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger
    Very nice. Look forward to seeing it built.

What are the colours?

Get well soon.
    I too am dam excited to see this built.

Colours are the Nicolai Gates Team colours for 2010... Gates Nicolai Team

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    You can still grip with your hand,Get out and ride
    Arm is set in an agressive riding position,should be fine
    Am amping to ride, will try a little something for sure...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I prefer sheep, you so already know that !!!!!

You will ride it at some stage for sure... Dam arm... Not sure if Whistler will be this year or next, but defiantly soon. We are keen to get my main crew in NZ whom have not ridden whizzer to get there.. I miss the place.
    Let me know about Whistler,Definetely if next year,would love to ge there riding again.

"Its All Good"
    Let me know about Whistler,Definetely if next year,would love to ge there riding again.
    Will do on that one for sure... Am 99% sure that would go again during Crankworx, best time I reckon...

mtbr member
    Looks great Whafe! I can't wait to see her built up & ready to give'r!

**subscribed**

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Looks great Whafe! I can't wait to see her built up & ready to give'r!

**subscribed**
    Me neither JNC, am stoked, have been waiting for months ever so patiently... And then the arm break, so have to be even more patient... LOL

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yep, agree, this was the pivotal part for me Mike, shortening the chainstays, as I may have mentioned, this was doable by building the AFR type rear, of which allowed us to do this... A negative to some though, is the fact that cannot run a front der, well you can, but travel would be reduced to 120mm...

@ 1x10 though, can be pretty versatile, I am not concerned with not having a front der.... I also got it so as I could if needed run a Hammer S, but for me, awesome kit, but not for me now...
    The bike looks great.
    It still perplexes me why Lenz is the only builder that manages to combine short stays, long travel, and a front der and still fit the 29" wheels in the chassis. Maybe he's made a deal with the devil or something, but no one else seems to be able to accomplish this.
    Still not sold on long travel 29ers, but then again I have not ridden that many, as not many exist. The fork is still the big gaping hole in the equation.

"Its All Good"
    Very good point re the Lenz frames, I at this point really dont think the target market for a long travel 29er is there as yet, but do fully feel it is expanding...

My love for 29ers is nothing to do with being a convert etc and pushing it hard for all to ride a 29er, there is pros & cons to all. However for my riding in the main, a 29er suits me great, am 6'4" so I like the feel that a bike fits me better (i said feel!) along with it looking more normal in size to my height

At first the team at Nicolai said it couldnt be done, well it could, but the chainstays would be to long, also the fact that I like a full length seat post tube... So hence then the idea to put an AFR rear on this bike...

Could go on and on...

But agree that the fork selection in for sure an issue. But deep down in my guts, I feel that Fox, RS must well be close with some longer travel 29er single crown forks... I too am willing to have a fork that is maybe not as great as a modern Fox or RS fork. Mikesee seems to go hard on a White Bros 150mm fork, so I feel I will not be held back, but I will be able to adapt to the new forks when they come..

It is still not at all out of the question to run a Dorado fork, but am still shy as I think the weight will be to much for this to be ridden as an all day type bike... In the world of Nicolai bikes, I want this bike to replace and be as capable as a Helius FR / Helius AM crossed with a Helius AFR...

Quote Originally Posted by morandi
    The bike looks great.
    It still perplexes me why Lenz is the only builder that manages to combine short stays, long travel, and a front der and still fit the 29" wheels in the chassis. Maybe he's made a deal with the devil or something, but no one else seems to be able to accomplish this.
    Still not sold on long travel 29ers, but then again I have not ridden that many, as not many exist. The fork is still the big gaping hole in the equation.

mtbr member
    looks great whafe. classy colours. really like the way the decals are applied as well. may have to do that to my AC29er at some point.

cant you get some supension guru to redo the internals of your chosen fork or even fit a new damping cart. i'm sure the chassis will be decent enough and it may be possible to retro fit a 26er cart from a higher spec fork
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    looks great whafe. classy colours. really like the way the decals are applied as well. may have to do that to my AC29er at some point.

cant you get some supension guru to redo the internals of your chosen fork or even fit a new damping cart. i'm sure the chassis will be decent enough and it may be possible to retro fit a 26er cart from a higher spec fork
    Yeah, go with the same decals on your AC29er, think it looks sick....

Yeah that is an option to install some other internals. I am prepared to have a fork that is not on a par with say my 2010 Lyric... Am not saying that so as am not disappointed, just know that I am not going to have a great fork first up... Realistically, just dont feel the Dorado is light enough for what am trying to build..

Speak up if I am dreaming and it could well be light enough for my needs, the Dorado that is

"Its All Good"
    dipper - Have a mate whom knows the Bos guys well asking them to build me a 29er single crown fork, now with you working closely with Bos, you too can hit them up

Thanks in advance

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Fentoon serves up another masterpiece.

Your pimp hand is strong my friend!

I'm sure a worthy fork for that beastie...is right around the corner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    yeah thanks for the comments, was stoked that in the end my Helius AC 29er made it into the Nicolai lineup permanently.... Have to say, the AC29er is still my most favorite bike, the one I would choose if I could only have one......

I better cross post something to the 29er Forum
    I'm seriously considering getting Helius AC29 too, especially now that Niner skyrocketed their prices for European market.
    AC29 with standard geometry is now 400 EUROS CHEAPER then Rip9, hell,
    even full custom AC29 is 100 euros cheaper - and you getting superb build and ride quality + 5 year warranty on top.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    That's a great looking frame Whafe! Sorry to hear about the arm, heal up fast dude!

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    That's a great looking frame Whafe! Sorry to hear about the arm, heal up fast dude!
    Hi ya Bro, hope all is well. Thinking you will have some sick powder at present for boarding... Arm is healing well I think, itchy as in the cast, you know that feeling when you want to scratch ***** out of it....

Looking forward to getting her built up....

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojos Azules
    I'm seriously considering getting Helius AC29 too, especially now that Niner skyrocketed their prices for European market.
    AC29 with standard geometry is now 400 EUROS CHEAPER then Rip9, hell,
    even full custom AC29 is 100 euros cheaper - and you getting superb build and ride quality + 5 year warranty on top.
    I hadnt really looked at the price differences with Niner in Europe, that is a significant difference though..

My main riding buddy rides Niners here in NZ, his RIP 9 has taken a good beating, a great frame and bike for sure....

Both great frames, but naturally I would swing more to Nicolai

"El Whatever"
    Holy shizzle!!!

That's a hot bike, there. As said, classy colours, good numbers. etc.

Can you run an E-Type FD should you want to go double rings? I think you can but you'd have to sacrifice whatever ISCG thingie you want to run.

Congratulations! Astonishing! Now with prototype BOS stuff??? Ubersweet...
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Holy shizzle!!!

That's a hot bike, there. As said, classy colours, good numbers. etc.

Can you run an E-Type FD should you want to go double rings? I think you can but you'd have to sacrifice whatever ISCG thingie you want to run.

Congratulations! Astonishing! Now with prototype BOS stuff??? Ubersweet...
    Will be able to run a front der, but travel will be reduced by around 30mm to 120mm...... This puppy is built for 1 x 10...

No Bos stuff, here is hoping though.... Hint hint hint, then some more hints...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Whafe,You wont like the Bos stuff

"Its All Good"
    Whafe,You wont like the Bos stuff
    Yep, am hating it already....

"Its All Good"
    This is the build spec I have sorted thus far, am getting there....

Race Face Sixc cranks
    Chromag black QR seat clamp
    Chromag black 32t chain-ring
    Enve Carbon DH Bar
    Rock Shox Vivid rear shock
    Thomson Masterpiece seat-post
    Straitline Silent guide
    Spare set of BLUE silent guides
    ENVE rims laced to Hadley hubs, Sapim CX Ray spokes
    Easton Haven Stem 55mm
    Formula The One’s
    Cane Creek Angle Set

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey Whafe, great looking frame! I'm looking forward seeing it build up.

Sorry to hear about your arm, hope it heels up quick!

"Its All Good"
    Have to do a shout-out to that cool dude at my LBS = BARN

Dont say it lightly, or for the sake of it, Chad has been awesome to deal with yet again, he was a star with my AC29er, yet again he is rocking it... On the other side of the world to me, but he is my LBS..... Thanks Chad

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Testmaen
    Hey Whafe, great looking frame! I'm looking forward seeing it build up.

Sorry to hear about your arm, hope it heels up quick!
    Thanks Testmaen, am stoked and looking forward to it also... Will be a few weeks, but it will happen... Time is slow being on a weeks leave and having an arm in a cast, back to work Monday, so time will fly...

Powered by ice cream.
    Well done Whafe. It looks great and the numbers are pretty near perfect for the class of bike IMO.

I am certain it will quickly replace your current Nicolai as your favorite. It just looks dialed.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Well done Whafe. It looks great and the numbers are pretty near perfect for the class of bike IMO.

I am certain it will quickly replace your current Nicolai as your favorite. It just looks dialed.
    Thanks Enel, yep, it is always cool to be able to put the numbers together for a purpose, I feel I am there with the geo, but have also future proofed it for want of a better word... As more forks are released, angles will be able to be refined etc...

I too feel it will become a favorite. Will take a fair bit to knock the Helius AC29er of its perch, this may well....

Nicolai
    Very nice, the decal and color shall be the team colours and graphic right?

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by AttitudeBikes
    Very nice, the decal and color shall be the team colours and graphic right?
    Attitude, yep, was the Gates Team colours for 2010, not sure what the colours will be for the Gates Team for 2011....

mtbr member
    Bro that thing is SWEEEEEEEET...Sorry to hear bout the arm......CF.

steep fast and loose :)
    nice graphics, but clown wheels again............

LOL

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Cant comment on 29ers,havent ridden one yet,but would be happy if it looked like that frame.
    Stunning cant wait for a full build shot.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    Bro that thing is SWEEEEEEEET...Sorry to hear bout the arm......CF.
    Hi ya Bro. Yeah, arm is a pain, will heal though, feel like ripping the dam cast off. Want to have a decent shower...

Tough winter in your neck of the woods bro I bet....

Bike should be sweet..... Cant wait to get her built up....

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    nice graphics, but clown wheels again............

LOL
    I will win this bout TLR, you will end up riding clown wheels, thats the funny part.....

"Its All Good"
    I am waiting ever so patiently for a build shot too. ^%%#^$*^%#

Am waiting on a picture of the wheels, just to whet the whistle.....

Oh and have had to go with a Dorado Pro 29er fork, deal fell through on the White Bros 150mm fork.... So will be interesting... 175mm travel on the front and 150 on the rear... More so the weight of the fork, 6.5 lbs, will add to things....

Cant comment on 29ers,havent ridden one yet,but would be happy if it looked like that frame.
    Stunning cant wait for a full build shot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am waiting ever so patiently for a build shot too. ^%%#^$*^%#

Am waiting on a picture of the wheels, just to whet the whistle.....

Oh and have had to go with a Dorado Pro 29er fork, deal fell through on the White Bros 150mm fork.... So will be interesting... 175mm travel on the front and 150 on the rear... More so the weight of the fork, 6.5 lbs, will add to things....
    Should have always been a Dorado going on it anyway.
    Ask my mate what he thinks of White Brothers.He said they were made of plastic,he bent his tripple clamps about 4",so much that they would only move 2" before jamming up, Doing a drop he had done hundreds of times on his bike with 888's on it.First time on the White brothers,and they were scrap.

35lbs AM bike coming up. LOL

"Its All Good"
    A few shots of the Wheels. Chad @ the Barn they look magic...

"Its All Good"
    MMmm Yumminess

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    MMmm Yumminess
    I like them,couple of my mates ran them on there DH bikes,They are amazing forks,buttery smooth,The only thing they both did was rip off a stanchion guard.
    They will look sweet with those wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    LOL, 6.5lb forks, with those wheels, they dno't go with the frame.....

@ whafe - you should be congratulated for having some extremely daft ideas mated with extremely daft integrations...

chapeau monsieur

MTB B'dos
    Hey Whafe, sorry to hear about the fall, those are normally the ones we get hurt on, not the big ones on the trail Sucks to have a frame sitting there ready to build when you're injured, hope you heal up fast.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

"Its All Good"
    @ whafe - you should be congratulated for having some extremely daft ideas mated with extremely daft integrations...

chapeau monsieur
    All good my man, been congratulated on worse things, nothing more constant than change.... Nothing gained nothing lost unless we look outside the square...

This fork choice is not about making a down hill sled, it is working with what is available until more forks come onto the scene...

Goal is to build a 29er that will replace my Helius FR...... I feel am on the way to this, others will laugh / disagree, no worries to me....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    TLR- He didnt have much choice on the Dorado's there are no other forks available that are suitable for a Fr/play bike,wouldnt fancy it in Rebas would you?

Whafe is doing something different and because of this he has limited himself in certain parts,Pushing the 29er bar up a bit higher as he goes.

TLR- He didnt have much choice on the Dorado's there are no other forks available that are suitable for a Fr/play bike,wouldnt fancy it in Rebas would you?

Whafe is doing something different and because of this he has limited himself in certain parts,Pushing the 29er bar up a bit higher as he goes.

as they say 'en france a la tour' and as i said myself..............

chapeau monsieur

mtbr member
    Looking sweet as, will be looking forwards to this build.
    The decals do look very good I must say.
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Hey Whafe, sorry to hear about the fall, those are normally the ones we get hurt on, not the big ones on the trail Sucks to have a frame sitting there ready to build when you're injured, hope you heal up fast.
    It seems a common theme that I am injured when building a new stead.... Healing up though, thank goodness....

It is such a pain, see people I havent seen, they see my arm and go, did you fall off your bike? They expect it to be from some spectacular crash, not an OTB in the carpark 20 M's from ones car!

Nicolai

http://attitudebikes.wordpress.com/2...lius-am-29ner/

Thanks Whafe for the info and corrections!

hehe....

"Its All Good"
    Just heard from Chad at the BARN, all parts are packed and ready to ship...

Oh boy, the next 10 days are going to be hard work...

Have got Chad to send me some photos of the parts etc, especially the Dorado 29er.... Will share when I receive...

mtbr member
    Ouch! Glad it is almost better now Can't wait to see the new bike

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugtree
    Ouch! Glad it is almost better now Can't wait to see the new bike
    Me too, great to have the cast off. Am going to go for a cruise gently on the road bike to assess how the arm is. It is still wrapped with some support type thing..

I cant wait to see the frame and parts either, of which will make a bike.... Yeah ha... All items are shipping at present, so hopefully in the air winging there way to New Zealand...

"Its All Good"
    That dude from the RedBarn sent these to tease me, just as my kit was being picked up by UPS....

Mmmmmm, to say I am excited is an understatement...

mtbr member
    "The waiting is the hardest part."

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    "The waiting is the hardest part."

Hear you loud and clear on that.... Am pretty cool with the wait, having just got the cast off of my arm this week, wouldnt have wanted it built right now...

It is going to take some work to get it all sorted I feel, some new stuff etc, plenty of kinks I would suspect....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You make me want a new bike. I think I'm still two nics behind you.....

Fat & Single
    Looking good mate ! There will be a lot of drooling on the 29 forum over this machine you are creating, go the dorados from kick off

Theres a set of then edge/enve's on my list for this year too
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Nicolai
    s how many now whafe!

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx
    Looking good mate ! There will be a lot of drooling on the 29 forum over this machine you are creating, go the dorados from kick off

Theres a set of then edge/enve's on my list for this year too
    Hey stranger, hope all is well in your neck of the woods...

Yeah, could well be a few drooling 29er affectionaddo's, or could be the other way, telling me I am a dreamer... If so, no worries to me...

Yes, will let you know on the Enve / Edge wheels.....

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by AttitudeBikes
    s how many now whafe!
    Too many and not enough

MTB B'dos
    All right Mr. Whafe, now we know what you're actually putting on this thing we can extrapolate geo numbers...... so by my calculations you'll end up somewhere just shy of a 68* HA and 73.5* STA, AND if my calculations are also right the BB will be above 14", prob 14.1" This'll definitely be a beast, hurry up and mend that arm so you can build it up and let us know how it rides - unbiased of course

"Its All Good"
    Yep, 68 deg sounds about right, was that as slack as I can go with the CC AngleSet? Think it may be able to go slightly slacker... But am more than happy with 68 deg... Yeah and the BB will be a little lower once the bike is in the riding position, ie with me riding it...

All I know now is it will be most interesting...

Just heard from the shipping company the frame has arrived in New Zealand... Yeah ha...

Went for a ride on the road bike today to see how the arm would go, all I can say is am glad I was not on the MTB... Wrist was more sore than the bone the fracture was in.... Needs more time I think, I am so impatient..

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    All right Mr. Whafe, now we know what you're actually putting on this thing we can extrapolate geo numbers...... so by my calculations you'll end up somewhere just shy of a 68* HA and 73.5* STA, AND if my calculations are also right the BB will be above 14", prob 14.1" This'll definitely be a beast, hurry up and mend that arm so you can build it up and let us know how it rides - unbiased of course

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ship it all out to me mate,I will assemble it and do the initial test rides,when i am happy with it i might post it back to you

MTB B'dos
    Forgot you were doing the Angleset thing, I just calculated on the A to C of the geo drawing you gave as compared to the A to C of the Dorado, which is about 20mm taller. So with the angleset you should be able to get down to below 67*, yet still maintain the steeper STA.

Yep, 68 deg sounds about right, was that as slack as I can go with the CC AngleSet? Think it may be able to go slightly slacker... But am more than happy with 68 deg... Yeah and the BB will be a little lower once the bike is in the riding position, ie with me riding it...

All I know now is it will be most interesting...

Just heard from the shipping company the frame has arrived in New Zealand... Yeah ha...

Went for a ride on the road bike today to see how the arm would go, all I can say is am glad I was not on the MTB... Wrist was more sore than the bone the fracture was in.... Needs more time I think, I am so impatient..

@whafe - do you ever get toe-over lap on the AC 29'er ?

i slung a leg over dippers yesterday and noticed right away the likelihood of toe to wheel interference........?

"Its All Good"
    Hi ya TLR

No have not had any toe overlap at all, and I dont have giants feet, but my feet are not tiny, size 45 in Sidi bike shoes...

Were you getting this overlap whilst doing trackstands in the carpark, or out riding?

I guess I could let say force a toe-over lap doing that, but in my riding, it has never happened, of which can assure you I would remember...

What were your thoughts on the AC 29er other than toe-over lap?

@whafe - do you ever get toe-over lap on the AC 29'er ?

i slung a leg over dippers yesterday and noticed right away the likelihood of toe to wheel interference........?

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Looks amazing whafe, great colour choice btw

When will it be built up?

On the toe overlap thing how is it possible to hit the front wheel with your toes? I dont put the middle of my foot on the pedal, I actually cant recall seeing anyone do that hmmmm seems like a load of poop.
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

Fat & Single

What were your thoughts on the AC 29er other than toe-over lap?
    Hes only making excuses ....Ozzy says .... TLR will be riding a 29er very soon !!! And selling his kiddy bikes
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by derekr
    Looks amazing whafe, great colour choice btw

When will it be built up?
    Frame is held up in Frankfurt, should be here in NZ, but now not due until 5th February.... No worries really, parts should have arrived then from my mate at the Red Barn

Am looking forward to seeing it in the flesh....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Looks really cool Whafe, especially the "Whafe" decal
    The 1.5 inch headtube looks really big, but I think it will look quite nice when it's build up.
    With the all ti ano seatstays and links it looks clean.

Hope it will survive the held up in Frankfurt

mtbr member
    In a desperate effort in trying to utilise a potentially suitable fork for the 29" revolution, I have become aware that some folk have been known to take a grinder to a regular pair of Fox 36's.
    Whafe, did you consider this 'Butcher' approach?

mtbr member
    In a desperate effort in trying to utilise a potentially suitable fork for the 29" revolution, I have become aware that some folk have been known to take a grinder to a regular pair of Fox 36's.
    Be far cheaper to just shoot yourself in the head. End result will be the same!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

"Its All Good"
    rpm - Would be lying if I said I never thought about it, for sure looked into it.... Just didnt seem the correct thing to do for me... However I thought by now more peeps would have done it, but it doesnt seem like it has taken off..

I wait patiently fro dipper and Bos suspension

"Its All Good"
    I have 1.5 Headtube on the TFR and the FR, so it is rather normal for me... I think a 1 1/8 headtube looks real odd....

1.5 = Man Size

Yeah, stoked on the Whafe decal, have one on my AC 29er, wanted 2, but it only arrived with one decal from Nicolai. Never sorted to get another, slack of me...

Yeah, hope it is being looked after sitting in Frankfurt!

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchdriver
    Looks really cool Whafe, especially the "Whafe" decal
    The 1.5 inch headtube looks really big, but I think it will look quite nice when it's build up.
    With the all ti ano seatstays and links it looks clean.

Hope it will survive the held up in Frankfurt

mtbr member
    Copied from the intense forum. A very nice build. Last pic.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...81#post7119781

"Its All Good"
    Copied from the intense forum. A very nice build. Last pic.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...81#post7119781
    Yep, that is a great looking bike... Isnt it amazing the crap people were giving him for going with the modified Fox 36 fork, but like me, there was nothing available for his requirements... Have to say, that is pretty much the same boat for me... There will be forks coming soon though am sure....

Be interesting to put the AM29er up along side this Intense 29er...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yep, that is a great looking bike... Isnt it amazing the crap people were giving him for going with the modified Fox 36 fork, but like me, there was nothing available for his requirements... Have to say, that is pretty much the same boat for me... There will be forks coming soon though am sure....

Be interesting to put the AM29er up along side this Intense 29er...
    My mates 6.6 goes through a set of bearings every 4-5 months.
    The back end is quite flexy on it.

"Its All Good"
    My mates 6.6 goes through a set of bearings every 4-5 months.
    The back end is quite flexy on it.
    LOL, I was trying to be good and not make comment about the rear end of an Intense or give my opinion on my Intense Uzzi I had

"Its All Good"
    Don't you love it when you arrive home late from work and low and behold quicker than expected is 2 box's leaning up against the front door, containing yumminess from that dude at the Red Barn.

As I in the most controlled fashion gently opened the box's.... Pfftt, as I went like a man possessed and tore the box's open to find 1 x Dorado Pro 29er, 1 x Cane Creek AngleSet, 1 c Enve Carbon Bar and 2 Enve (Edge) carbon rims strapped to a couple of yummy Hadley hubs... I was fizzing at the bung.....

Handling the wheels first up, I was stunned at how light they were, knew they were going to be light, but 980 grams for a rear wheel with a 12 mm Hadley Hub and 840 grams for a front wheel with a 20 mm Hadley hub is unbelievable to me.....

Manitou have done a stunning job of the gun case as packaging for the Dorado fork, real nice touch. (Very Apple like ) The fork is stunning.... Not light by any means, mean that in a relative term... It is a whole lotta fork...

A small thing, but the packaging on the Cane Creek Angle Set is pretty bling too, like real bling..... The Enve bar is very light too, have not weighed it yet, but light....

MMMmm am surprised how quick this came from the US of A, it has beaten hands down a shipment from Chain Reaction, which is really unusual.... That dude at the Red Barn said there was 3 box's, so 1 to come, of which has loads more goodies in it, do hope it arrives tomorrow.....

Thought the frame would be here first, but as I mentioned, it is held up in Frankfurt, supposed to be here Friday New Zealand time, will wait with anticipation.....
    Last edited by Whafe; 02-03-2011 at 01:48 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0