steep fast and loose :)

MBUK / What MTB : Long Term Helius AM Review / Test

anyone got any more info on the rig being tested / pics ?
    looks like a stunner in black / blue avatar style - onto an rp23 now from the monarch.......has it got the 216mm levers ?

mtbr member
    What is reading a review in mag going to tell you? So much of what mag reviews say has to be put through the BS filter that I'm beginning to wonder if reading them is worth the time. There is so much to fiddle with on these bikes that it takes a while to really get them set up... although a quick ride will tell you if the potential is there - IMHO.

I picked up an MBUK last year because it had a review of the Cotic BeFe vs Evil Sov vs Transition TRANS-AM vs NS Surge. The kit on the bikes and the sizes of the frames meant the whole review is bananas - there was simply no point comparing them in the way that they did and hence the review was meaningless.

Long term tests don't seem to be any better - pretty much d!ck swinging about what pointless bit of new kit they have put on the bike this month with some dumb reason why it's brilliant and better than what it replaced. Kind of what we all do anyway but put out in print for us to pay to read
    I had my Nucleon for 6 years and was still tweaking the set up to the end; five months in with the Helius AM and I absolutely love it... but if I had the time and money I would be experimenting with different shocks and tunes as I don't think the two I have are the best. But I knew from the first ride (and from the angles) that it was going to be stunning.

Read less... ride more.

thanks - i'm managing 4 or 5 rides a week at the moment and 18km in the pool as well as 45 hours in the office.
    i think that's enough for anyone

i do agree that most tests are bollox based on various factors, but it's still nice to get another perspective. if i wasn't interested in perspective, i wouldn't subscribe to this forum either.........catch the drift ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    thanks - i'm managing 4 or 5 rides a week at the moment and 18km in the pool as well as 45 hours in the office.
    I hate you. I guess you don't have kids right?

Referring to Pimp's comments, the thing that annoys me about the mags, MBR in particular, is how they bleat on about 150/160mm travel AM bikes being a waste of space because they're too this and too that. And then in the same edition, they'll wank themselves stupid over an Orange Five because 140mm is where its at and apparently their sister is married to Lester Noble and Steve Wade once gave them oral pleasure half way down the Plenny run so they feel duty bound to love their bikes.

WTF?

Seriously, in one issue they were berrating how 150mm bikes that weigh 28lbs were too heavy, too much travel and then in the sam bloody issue, the new Orange five, which now weighs 100g more than a helius AC and only 100g less than a Helius AM is the best thing since a blowjob first thing in the morning but it still builds up to a 28lb bike.

OK rant over.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    No keep the rants going.....I hate magazines for all the reasons you both say. Only magazine I buy now is Dirt for the pics.

no kids

"Its All Good"
    Magazines are all about the advertising dollar... When have they ever said anything negative about a bike. Sure they may say the tires could be replaced etc. But that is BS, they never down a bike....

Agree, Dirt is awesome, especially for the photos. Fantastic shots.....

When I rode Moto X, mags were the same.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I can also agree the mags wind me up. One thing I find - the feature stories (eg a biking trip to Skye) are only good for the pics. The textual content is always such drivel. I find myself asking who actually reads this schitt. Singletrack and Dirt might sometimes have an interesting interview or a feature story worth reading. Dirt is the only mag that reviews top quality kit - how many more times do we need to see stupid tests of 1k budget bikes! Plus Dirt looks good on an iPad and the Esubscription is very cheap MBUK... Don't even go there. It's a mag for kids.

"Its All Good"
    Agree with all your words, agree also that Dirt is awesome on the iPad, as is Bike

The iPad is so good to read mags......

Quote Originally Posted by a1helius
    I can also agree the mags wind me up. One thing I find - the feature stories (eg a biking trip to Skye) are only good for the pics. The textual content is always such drivel. I find myself asking who actually reads this schitt. Singletrack and Dirt might sometimes have an interesting interview or a feature story worth reading. Dirt is the only mag that reviews top quality kit - how many more times do we need to see stupid tests of 1k budget bikes! Plus Dirt looks good on an iPad and the Esubscription is very cheap MBUK... Don't even go there. It's a mag for kids.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Cool - will check out Bike. Decline and Singletrack also do apps. But you must try Evo