mtbr member

Maxxis rear tyre

ok so its sadly come to that time of year when i have to take the crossmark off the back ready for the crappy wet uk winter
    Rather than putting the High Roller back on i was wondering if anyone had tried the advantage, ardent etc and how they compare to a high roller in winter?
    Am going to swap the minion on the front for a swampthing i think after riding a friends bike with one, grips just like a cut spike on the dh bike! , hence could do with something that rolls well on the back
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    had the advantage for quite a while: great tire for everything but comes with a good amount of rolling resistance. to me, the highroller is fantastic for downhill, but uphill its crap due to the angular blocks that offer great braking force though. Maybe the ardent fits the bill better, as it has a do-everything profile with low rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Having tried the above tyres, I have finally settled on High Roller front and Ignitor EXO rear. These are the same volume, which i prefer. The Ignitor on the back seems faster rolling and grippier than the others uphill.

mtbr member
    The High Roller is an awesome rear DH tyre and lives on the back of my dh bike summer and winter. Love the grip.........drift..... grip again nature on cornering, but for the same reason i never really got used to it on the front.
    so thats one vote for ardent and one for ignitor

mtbr member
    Hr on the back is ok but I don't like them on the front. The ardent 2.4 has far more grip. Got an advantage on the rear of the AM at the moment but not gone much miles so can't comment yet.

You won't go wrong with an ardent front and rear
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

"El Whatever"
    2.25" Ardents do not have deep knobs. It could work if the mud is loose.

Like this kind of mud that sprays all over the bike.

If you have sticky soil, that paste-like soil, you'd be better off with something with more spaced knobs with enough height. Think the Swampthing, the Medusa, Schwalbe Dirty Dan, Muddy Mary, etc.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ardents are good.
    Used Ignitor 2.3 Ust's as winter tyres,seem very good but will clog up if its really bad

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I never need more grip than a HR 60a or 42a for the front for my riding... but used on the back it is just a bit slow. The ignitor does clog up in very thick mud, but is great on the back the other 95% of the time. If it was really awful winter conditions, maybe Swampthings front "and" rear. Never heard of an Ardent being better on the front than a HR before though.... faster maybe. A huge tyre like the Ardent 2.4 on the back would dwarf a 2.35 Swampthing. A fatter tyre on the back is horrible.

mtbr member
    ok so went for 2.35 swampthing with a 2.25 ardent on the back