"Its All Good"

The Maiden ION ST Ride

So finally got a ride in on the ION ST at Whistler today. All i can say is the bike was great, still need to get the suspension and fork fully adjusted and sorted, am happy with the Fox 40 fork, but still need some more adjustment on the RS Vivid.

The Vivid is a simple so to speak shock to adjust, small adjustments are really obvious.

I have spent most of my riding time of late on the SS rigid 29er... So having this much suspension travel was a huge change if that makes sense. So am not entirely certain what so much suspension feels like.... But the travel is super plush and butter smooth, amazing really, the travel soaks up everything....

The trails were quite wet really, spent most time up top, trying to get a handle on the trails. So not the best conditions to ride a bike for the first time, but still, I had a blast.....

Will come back with some more feedback as the week progresses...

A few pictures... The weather was not at all good for action shots.... All week for that...

The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

New to the Nicolai Clan
    That is a whole lot of mud... will be interesting to see how the Garbo DH goes with the course being so wet up top.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ouaouhh !!!

have you check for new bearings, chain et crankset !!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Stoked for you Wharfe - it is an interesting transition to go from nothing to quite so much travel. I made the jump in steps - Yeti ARC to 5" Spesh Enduro (2004) then to a 6" travel Enduro (2005) then to the Demo 8 (2006). The biggest difference with DH bikes is your ability to move your weight forward onto the front wheel to get more traction without the fear of the front 'tucking under'. You will also find you have to use a lot more 'body English' in order to get the bike to do what you want. How is the sizing by the way? Your quite a bit taller than me but I'm still thinking a large is the right size because of the lenght of the bike. Do you have a lot of clearance over the top tube?

Whistler must be an amazing place to go for a first ride but the weather looks like riding inthe UK!

"Its All Good"
    geetee1972 - Thanks for you thoughts, I have been riding my Helius FR some, also last year at Whistler on the Nucleon GBoxx. But of late I have been on the Rigid SS 29er....

But yes you are correct how far forward you can get, and having so much travel is forgiving, which is a great thing...

Yes the weather is like winter in New Zealand...

Size wise I am happy with having got a large... My Helius FR is a large, I like things a little smaller. More ability to do things with the bike. Standover is sweet, I may put my seat up a fraction for today though. I really like the width of the Dirty Thirty bars, really helps things along, they are w i d e though.....

Time to do some adjustments and get busy on it..... All re learning again for me riding this bike, which is something I like.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Whafe, that's a really cool bike. I look forward to further reports. How are you finding
    the Vivid?

mtbr member
    Looking sweet Whafe, enjoy the new rig. The C-worx photos in passion were a great way to start a Monday morning, cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

"Its All Good"
    Still getting used to the bike and sooooo much plush bump soaking travel..... Am going to hit the park up again till mid afternoon, will then head out on a XC ride....

The Vivid I find is not too bad, it is cool that minimal adjustments can be felt immediately, well this is for a non techy Whafe...

Sun s shining though, yeah ha...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you think the bike feels plush now, wait till the shock breaks in a little!

What travel setting are you running it in by the way and have you tried both the 8" and the 9.5" options?

"Its All Good"
    Only tried the one setting geetee, have not had a play yet.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Great bike, great build, great ride.

btw, was that still a saddle anyway?

mtbr member
    No Post.......
    Last edited by juanbeegas; 08-26-2008 at 08:34 AM.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Wow, mud in the summer. That's exactly how it was for me last year. A bit of advise: if you can help it, stay away from the hose! I know Nics have top grade bearings, but that soil caked on the bike will only find its way in them easier upon repeated washings. One side of my Shimano BB was rusted solid, not to mention all my pivot bearings on my 06 Rocky Switch. (FWI bearings were double row INA's which are some of the best in the world...) It's hard if you're staying in a place where your bike has to be clean. If you can keep it dirty. It will help you in the long run.

Did I mention... Jealous. Have you heard me say that before? Well, I'm like this anytime I see Whistler photos when I'm not there, and then there's the whole Nicolai thing.

A whole week is the way to go. There's so much to do and I always have to cram it in to 3 days riding. I've never been outside the park, (not a bad thing IMO...) but the locals always rave of the trails in the surrounding area. Someday... Have fun Whafe!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Wow, mud in the summer. That's exactly how it was for me last year. A bit of advise: if you can help it, stay away from the hose! I know Nics have top grade bearings, but that soil caked on the bike will only find its way in them easier upon repeated washings. One side of my Shimano BB was rusted solid, not to mention all my pivot bearings on my 06 Rocky Switch. (FWI bearings were double row INA's which are some of the best in the world...) It's hard if you're staying in a place where your bike has to be clean. If you can keep it dirty. It will help you in the long run.

Did I mention... Jealous. Have you heard me say that before? Well, I'm like this anytime I see Whistler photos when I'm not there, and then there's the whole Nicolai thing.

A whole week is the way to go. There's so much to do and I always have to cram it in to 3 days riding. I've never been outside the park, (not a bad thing IMO...) but the locals always rave of the trails in the surrounding area. Someday... Have fun Whafe!
    yeah Cliffy, hear you on the water on the pivots and bearings, never have it high pressure, more like a flacid weaner....

The rides outside the park are premo...... Good to have a spell from the park, never seen so many injuries and accidents in the last 2 days, more than the whole week last year....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Here in Blighty (the UK) you can buy this thing called a Dirt Worker - they are perfect for cleaning bikes and are designed to run of a car battery, plugging into the power outlet you find is most cars these days. The pressure is high enough to gently remove dirt but not enough to penetrate bearing seals. Brilliant, around $120, holds its own water, works a treat. Almost all the DH courses in the UK don't have their own bike wash (actually most of them don't have any facilities of any kind!) so this thing is a life saver.

www.dirtworker.co.uk

Drink...sleep
    So this bike makes you do extra crazy stuff then ey Fenton?

Not really necessary for me to say that it's a cool bike, with all these words of praise already said here on the forums......ok, can't resist, what a f'ing wicked tank of a bike!

"El Whatever"
    Man, great shots, great bike!!

Happy to hear you're stoked over it!!

BTW... How do those Minions did for you?? Terrain looks similar to around here but here's not that wet.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Nice little report whafe, look forward to hearing more about the ST. Although your tyre choice was due to availability at the time of building they must have been almost perfect in those muddy conditions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe

This is how exactly dh should look like - DIRTY

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by tatankainlondon
    Have to agree with you on that one for sure.....

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yessir

"El Whatever"
    That's how I like my bikes and my woman...
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    That's how I like my bikes and my woman...
    Well cant disagree with that....