Thread: MacAvalanche

mtbr member

Smile MacAvalanche

Well I've gone and done it now!

My names been pulled out of the hat and I'm one of the lucky 70 riders to get an entry into the one and only 'No Fuss Events' MacAvalanche at Glencoe. I've scrolled through the entry list which features far too many top riders (for my liking) and it looks like I might be the only rider on a Nicolai.....Ooooo the pressure .

Suppose I better get my finger out and finish this AM of mine .

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sweet,Have fun mate

mtbr member
    Wicked mate - pics pics pics!
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

mtbr member
    Cheers guys. Should be a good event especially with being air lifted to the top of the mountain I just hope I don't need to get air lifted back down the mountain!

I'll try my best to get some pics and of course I'll have my video camera running. Bring it on

"Its All Good"
    Yeah ha, sweet... Well done on that, we will live vicariesly through you
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Don't worry, I've arranged for a load of us to come down for some moral support/pointing and laughing if we get enough lads with cameras at all the tricky bits we're bound to get something worthy of YouTube
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    Don't worry, I've arranged for a load of us to come down for some moral support/pointing and laughing if we get enough lads with cameras at all the tricky bits we're bound to get something worthy of YouTube

Dont forget to shout "pedal" at him when he rides by.

mtbr member
    I'll have a long list of insults prepared in advance
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Hahaha I'm starting to get excited about this event now.

The entry list looks like a 'who's who' of the mountain bike world! With priority given to the industry so putting 'Gravity Sports' and 'Nicolai' on my entry form must have worked!

Aye Dipper, the good name and reputation of 'Gravity Sports' will come crashing down the hill with me .

mtbr member
    Stroll on! Between you at the macavalanche and me putting in a gravity-sports team to 10undertheben, GS's name will be in ruins! Maybe have to change the name to 'anti-gravity-sports' or 'scared of gravity-sports.'
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    I'll come and take some pics too, i thought it was only skilled fast guys that got into this? Were they short on folks for the field?

Dipper didnt you enter this aswell?
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

mtbr member
    I've got a last minute cancellation (minkers) invite. Ive got until 8am to kill the wife and hide the evidence.

mtbr member
    Congrats Pimp, I hear Paddy's got an invite too. Hurry up and get it booked .

mtbr member
    Damn. Wish I was in now! Loads o yous goin
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    In

mtbr member
    Pimp, Does the wife know yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr08
    Pimp, Does the wife know yet?
    She has disappeared, I've not seen her for weeks officer.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Im In!

Don't know how, but I'm in! At least you'll know who will come last, LMAO

mtbr member
    What tyres would you recommend for the macavalanche?

mtbr member
    Just finished installing a Reverb... feels like a quality piece of kit.

mtbr member
    A quick update: Looks like Dipper might have an entry as well. That'll be at least 3 nic's in this historic event .

Pimp, Nice one on the Reverb. There's no hiding money is there . How are you getting on with it?

Letrip, Tyres? That's a good question! I'll be running 2.5 Maxxis Tyres but that's only because that's what I have left over from last years Mega.

mtbr member
    Make that 4 nics as I'm dragging along a sidekick(wellys)
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thats the end of Nicolai and Gravity sports.

mtbr member
    Update on the no fuss site with itinerary... lots of hanging about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    Update on the no fuss site with itinerary... lots of hanging about.
    I think by the time you've dropped yer bike off at the top of the mountain then walked the course it'll be time to get yer arse back to the top for the start.

I'll have the Motorhome with us so feel free to pop in past for tea, coffee and a place to hide . Especially if we get some traditional Scottish weather or the Highland plague makes an appearance.

mtbr member
    Motorhomes and helicopters to the top?! Aright for some! If I read it right, those of us in the cheap seats don't get the chairlift till afternoon, we have to push our bike to the top(no choppers for us scummers) and still we have to be there for registration 1st thing in the morning!

So how about while your swanning about, lording it up in yer Steve peat pajama suits and gold lids I'll commandeer the motorhome?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Motorhomes and helicopters to the top?! Aright for some! If I read it right, those of us in the cheap seats don't get the chairlift till afternoon, we have to push our bike to the top(no choppers for us scummers) and still we have to be there for registration 1st thing in the morning!

So how about while your swanning about, lording it up in yer Steve peat pajama suits and gold lids I'll commandeer the motorhome?
    Don't worry Dipper I'll wind out the draughty awning for ya as I don't want you soiling the luxurious deep pile .

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Any news?
    Results?

mtbr member
    Yep. It was a cracking day out. 5 nicolai riders made it out of @ 100 riders. There ws a group of 8 of us in total. Some of us had really good runs(one got a 3rd place in the vets), some merely survived(that'll be me!) and one broke his bike in the first 100 yards! He's probably still huffing so he can tell you about it himself

Weather was stunning all day. Great views from the top over Ben Nevis and a thousand other mountains. The track was good but maybe not as technical or long as we first thought. There was no track as such, just poles and tape guiding you roughly down the natural terrain which was snow, rock, streams, grass etc. Much of it very slippy. There was plenty carnage up in the snow and a few minor prangs along the way that halted progress but other than that it was great. Times were between 11 mins and 25mins roughly i think. considering you only got one run was not a lot of riding for your day. Especially for those that travelled far. The weather and scenery made up for it though.

I've got a load of pics as has sdr and i see some are getting uploaded on the no fuss site now. If I get 5 mins I'll see about uploading some!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yep. It was a cracking day out. 5 nicolai riders made it out of @ 100 riders. There ws a group of 8 of us in total. Some of us had really good runs(one got a 3rd place in the vets), some merely survived(that'll be me!) and one broke his bike in the first 100 yards! He's probably still huffing so he can tell you about it himself

Weather was stunning all day. Great views from the top over Ben Nevis and a thousand other mountains. The track was good but maybe not as technical or long as we first thought. There was no track as such, just poles and tape guiding you roughly down the natural terrain which was snow, rock, streams, grass etc. Much of it very slippy. There was plenty carnage up in the snow and a few minor prangs along the way that halted progress but other than that it was great. Times were between 11 mins and 25mins roughly i think. considering you only got one run was not a lot of riding for your day. Especially for those that travelled far. The weather and scenery made up for it though.

I've got a load of pics as has sdr and i see some are getting uploaded on the no fuss site now. If I get 5 mins I'll see about uploading some!
    Sounds like you all had a good day(except 1 person) ,cant wait to see the photos.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Sounds like you all had a good day(except 1 person) ,cant wait to see the photos.
    That "except 1 persons" day didn't go exactly to plan and if anyone comes across a dummy at the top of Meall a' Bhuiridh I'd like it returned please for future use .

Despite the non Nicolai related mechanical issue it was a fantastic day with some very un-Scottish like weather. Taken loads of pics so I'll get them posted as soon as I get a chance to sort them out.

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Sdr, i take it the old disconnect the rear brake hose trick worked like we discussed?

Seriously though sounds like a great day, cant wait to see some pics.
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

mtbr member
    I could reel out all my excuses but truth be told I'm well chuffed with my final position of 40th.

The day was fantastic, blue skies and chilly winds when we took the chairlift up to the bowl, and then rode round to the cliff-hanger chair where we had to hold the bikes up to the dismount point, and then get off carrying the bike. We then pushed and carried the bikes up to just below the ridgeline which took about 30 mins of steep hiking. It was worth the extra little hike to get to the very top and look down on the rest of Scotland. It was so clear we could see Ben Nevis and even make out Ben Macdui in the far distance. With the bikes dumped on a snowy ridge it was time to scope out the course. At this point I was still a bit fearful of how I would be able to ride and rather than scope lines I kind of wandered down the hill with Dipper, SDR08 and another of the Nicolai owners club. With hindsight I should have stayed on the hill scoping out cheeky lines just away from the markers safe in the knowledge that I would not be penalised for such activities… despite what we were told at the pre race briefing! Some of the bikers only just made it off the hill for the briefing, and with our chopper times booked it was time to get some food in and relax for an hour or so.

Soon enough it was chopper o-clock and the awesome day got better. Flying up the hill in a five seater was an immense experience with outstanding views over Rannoch moor and the Mountains, and being landed just below the ridge was an awesome piece of flying. Then walk down and move the bike to a better position for the Le-mans style running start, and a seat in the rocks out of the wind to stay warm for an hour.

Soon enough we were gathered for the start and those with high hopes jostled for position as I and the also-rans stood at the back. With the chopper back up with us with a film crew the air horn was blown and we were off running up hill to the bikes. Grab your bike and hit the snow running. The usual snow technique of hanging back off the saddle was not much use to a man with very delicate plooms, so after a couple of painful experiences I ended up running much of the snow section and losing loads of ground. Once off the snow and back on the bike the tables turned and it was time for me to pick off loads of riders and storm through the field…well… that’s what it felt like anyway. Before long the rocky steep bit was over as we rode past the Cliff-hanger chair and into a flattish section before the next stupid steep run down to the Poma lifts and a little bus-stop feature, then fireroad to the main chair and join the Doonhall track for a wee way before peeling off and diving down a steep grassy/rocky/rough/muddy chute to the tree line, and finally along a boggy and rocky flat to the final finish slope under the chair. By sticking to the route I kept seeming to pass the same group of about 6 riders... and I eventually realised they were massively cutting corners... it seems that cheeky lines were the norm. Just before the flat bit at the bottom I made an epic manoeuvre and ended up with only one rider in front of me, but I blew it on a poor line and rather than risk bashing the plooms with a large ditch jump I ended up with a dismount and hence a back of the group finish. A hell of a day for only 15 mins of riding. **** knows how the winner got down in under 11 mins… truly mental!

AM bikes of about 30lbs were the best choice, and my Helius AM was brilliant -the brand new Reverb post was fantastic as was the new CCDB (stock settings) -both of which I had not ridden before the day. Hindsight… don't have a vasectomy two weeks before a race!!!

Huge thanks to No-Fuss for making this happen, I'm damn glad I did it and will sure as hell be trying to do another enduro type event before the end of the year.
    Last edited by thepimpmessiah; 05-03-2011 at 11:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The Pimp-Glad it went well.

mtbr member
    Here's a few pics from near the finish line at the Mac:

No.53 the Pimp and his AM chasing down a target with 'Hope' written all over it:
    MacAvalanche-mac-001.jpg

No.80 Welly and his FR:
    MacAvalanche-mac-002.jpg

No.79 the leg-end known as Dipper and his Koi cammo AFR:
    MacAvalanche-mac-003.jpg

No.33 me and my FR on the chair-lift of shame (that chair-lift is going down not up ):
    MacAvalanche-mac-004.jpg

mtbr member
    welly's contemplating the faster route, more direct route down
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MacAvalanche-photo.jpg  

www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    welly's contemplating the faster route, more direct route down
    And thats Derek and Paddy in the background with the Pimp and myself just out of shot.

mtbr member
    Here's a few more pics from the Mac:

This is the way to travel (just ask Dipper!)
    MacAvalanche-macavalanche-01.jpg

Why does this chopper not have dual controls!
    MacAvalanche-macavalanche-02.jpg

MacAvalanche-macavalanche-03.jpg

mtbr member
    Don't look down....
    MacAvalanche-macavalanche-06.jpg

Dipper trying to look cool but just feeling cold. Scottish mountains and shorts don't really go.
    MacAvalanche-macavalanche-09.jpg

Dipper pointing out his house.
    MacAvalanche-macavalanche-04.jpg

Dipper and Welly discusssing the perfect line. unfortunately that's the wrong side of the mountain.
    MacAvalanche-macavalanche-05.jpg

mtbr member
    Some views from the top:

MacAvalanche-macavalanche-11.jpg

MacAvalanche-macavalanche-12.jpg

MacAvalanche-macavalanche-13.jpg

MacAvalanche-macavalanche-14.jpg

MacAvalanche-macavalanche-15.jpg

mtbr member
    The startline:
    MacAvalanche-macavalanche-16.jpg

And below:
    MacAvalanche-macavalanche-17.jpg

Mad for it.
    MacAvalanche-macavalanche-18.jpg

"Its All Good"
    Great shots, great spot to ride...... Awesome.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    I have to point out that I've had a haircut and lost half a stone since then! speaking of pointing out, that's Ben Nevis I'm pointing at. Normally you cant see the top of Ben Nevis from the top of Ben nevis so that was pretty cool.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    v cool write up guys and loving the pics!
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

mtbr member
    "This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill -- the story ends, you take the ride of shame back down on the chairlift. You take the red pill -- you stay in the macavalanche and I show you how fast the big boy can go."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MacAvalanche-mark.jpg  

www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    state of the art highland chairlift facilities. the alps have nothing on us!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MacAvalanche-lift.jpg  

www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    First time YouTube poster so hopefully this'll work.

This is the air-lift to the top of Meall a Bhuridh for the start of the Mac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlxKWzE6YwY