Drink...sleep

Lightening up the Helius FR

Hi all,
    Been away for a while, but still occasionally ride the Helius FR Just came back from a very nice tour in Les Arcs in the French Alps, and this has fuelled the new bike virus again. Except, a new bike is too much money, so I've decided to give the FR a good rebuild and make it lighter, since it was absolutely killing me on the ups last week. It's about 17,4 kg now, with coil Totems, coil DHX shock (titanium spring though), Mavic 823 rear wheel (DT 5.1 up front) and some heavy Hope Moto V2 brakes. Would you think the following compromises the FR too much, or just make it right for more climbing, while still keeping it bikepark worthy?

-Change out the Totem Coil for a Lyric DH 170mm Air.
    -Change the DHX for a Rockshox Monarch Plus (high compression tune probably, but high volume air can, or low? I weight about 85 kg).
    -Put in an angle headset to keep the headangle as slack as with the Totem.
    -Replace the Moto brakes with Formula The One.
    -Change the setup to single ring, 10 speed, with a 36t in the back, 32t up front.
    -And maybe even strip the frame of its powdercoat
    -Perhaps change the wheelset? Not sure about this, I like strong wheels, and don't want to be swapping them out all the time for bikepark/non-bikepark use.

Keen to hear your thoughts!

mtbr member
    Just gone through the same thing on one my bikes -

I was quite surprised at the weight drop from 36 lbs to approx 31-32 lbs
    Changes I made were
    Forks - Fox Talas 180 to Fox Talas 160
    Chain devise - MRP G2 to e13 XCX (running single ring and IGH)
    Shock - DHX 5 coil with titanium spring to DHX 5 Air (big saving)
    Pedals - Popular alloy clones to Nuke Proof Electron
    Tyres - Maxxis Minion 2.5 double ply to Maxxis Minion 2.35 single ply front (big saving) running 823's tubless.
    Brakes - Hope V2 tech to Hope M4 with carbon levers and titanium bolts
    Bolts - titanium bolts for pivots, brake calipers/adaptor.

At 230 lbs(105 Kg) I wouldn't want to ride DH in Alps with it setup like that though, forks (I was very impressed with the 180 Talas in the Alps) brakes (V2 are a must) and tyres would need to go back on, and although the new DHX Air is ok not sure it would cope, wanted to try the Monarch Plus would couldn't find one cheap enough.

Must say I have gone off RS forks recently, had coil Lyriks which were too flexy, Totem sol air, ok but not a patch on the Fox Talas 180 with its pedal up friendly 140 mm setting.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    -Change out the Totem Coil for a Lyric DH 170mm Air.
    -Change the DHX for a Rockshox Monarch Plus (high compression tune probably, but high volume air can, or low? I weight about 85 kg).
    -Put in an angle headset to keep the headangle as slack as with the Totem.Replace the Moto brakes with Formula The One.
    -Change the setup to single ring, 10 speed, with a 36t in the back, 32t up front.
    -And maybe even strip the frame of its powdercoat
    -Perhaps change the wheelset? Not sure about this, I like strong wheels, and don't want to be swapping them out all the time for bikepark/non-bikepark use.

Above seems fine.
    I would go for XT or SLX finned brakes and big rotors as they are plenty powerful but much much cheaper than Formula, easier to get parts for and bleed.

Going for air shocks will shave a ton of weight and you will be fine in terms of durability
    I'm with you on strong wheels but careful tyre selection can save alot of weight.

Make sure you are strong enough to push 1x10. 32/36 is not close to a granny and 34. 2x9 or 10 with a mech and stinger device is less than 1lb heavier and you may be happy for that on the climbs! 31/32lb is still not a light bike for all day alps climbing.
    Aka chainline...

Drink...sleep
    Thanks guys! Ran out of paint stripper. This frame needs a lot of it. Work in progress...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lightening up the Helius FR-531570_10151009951598771_1330977984_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i changes from Totems to lyriks on my Fr,was the best thing i ever changed,balanced the bike,weight wise,and seemed to improve the response of the bike.

mtbr member
    Will look great when finished.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Now is the time to get is anodized in any fancy color possible!

mtbr member
    Bozzz I'm doing the opposite with my FR.. Was planning on moving the shock shuttle forward and was wondering if you had any rub issues with tyres?
    "When the gate drops the ******** stops"

Drink...sleep
    Still waiting on some new pedals, and maybe a lighter rear tyre, and it's done! Lost about 2,5 kg.

If you use a rear tyre that isn't too fat (2.3 or less), you shouldn't have any issues with it rubbing the seatpost if you move the shock shuttle slightly forward. But check to be sure.