Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Ladies and Gentlemen, presenting ...

...the 2009 Nicolai Catalogue.

http://whyexfiles.dbap.de/Public/NIC...log-09-web.pdf

CAREFUL: *.pdf opens directly

'All over it!'
    Nice, it now says that the Helius ST has up to 220mm of rear wheel travel....hmmmm tasty.

"Its All Good"
    Thanks for the link, all I can say is my yearly collection of Nicolai Catalogues is looking great, and this 09 has me drooling................... Y U M M Y
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Interesting that the AM is showing with either a Van R coil, RP23, X fusion shock or DHX Air, but not a Monarch option for rear shock.

Thanks for posting!

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by NICK-O-LAI
    ... Interesting that the AM is showing with either a Van R coil, RP23, X fusion shock or DHX Air, but not a Monarch option for rear shock ...
    very interesting indeed ...

cheers test for posting ... i only have the 2008 catalog (hard-copy) ... but will definitely need to get my paws on the 2009 ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    not one of their best designed catalogues in my opinion.......no sizing/geo. charts....no explaination of options......colours/finishes. I wonder if there is another version without the complete builds allowing for more info. on the frames? I hope so. It's good to see the expanded Helius range, though. What do you think?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The Ion seems to have lost 1.1kg from 2008 to 2009 amazing how they've done that considering the fame hasn't changed.

mtbr member
    Wow they seem to have an FR there with a totem... i thought it was only me!

Bit of a git to read that catalogue... might be easier to sift through all the details when they update the website.. does indeed look like the only big change we didn't know about is an update to the ST as lornibear mentioned. 20mm more travel and an update to the front end to use Fr style gussets around the head tube.

mtbr member
    The weight of the Ion is excluding shock, so the weight is maybe a little lower, but not 1kg less !
    Never enough singletracks !

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    [QUOTE=chinaman]very interesting indeed ...

....so what is the best rear shock for it? Actually, I noticed in the catalogue the main shot of the frame has it with a Monarch on too. Wonder what they'd be recommending?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Samwell - that's what I understood, the original 5.2kg weight was 'sans shock'. If the original weight was with shock and painted, then the new weight minus shock and paint would indeed be 1kg less (DHX is 700g with a 300lb spring, paint is around 200-300g). Thing is, 4.2kg for a DH frame is pretty light. The Intense SOCOM is around 3.8kg and that's phantomweight. Having picked a medium Ion up, I struggle to believe it's 4.2kg - logically you can only assume it's a typing error.

Team Mistermoonbikes
    uff, I love it!!
    More than 15.000 posts in foromtb.com, from Murcia, Spain, garypalmer....

Trying a little
    ok this is not gay at all

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    ok this is not gay at all
    Made you stop and look and take the time to post re this frame...

This frame is an icon in the Nicolai stable of frames, hence the fact it is loud as paint job wise.......

ION ST Weights - I didnt weigh my frame, should have, but didnt (whoops), but I would nearly bet my life that my raw frame without the shock weighed 4.3 Kg's.... Was for sure more..... Cant weigh it, the bike is in the US of A and I am in New Zealand.....

Yes the catalogue is lacking some micro detail, I usually use the website and then just drool over the catalogue...

Helius AM - Shock wise, indeed interesting that it is not coming our with the RS Monach, taking into account the very solid relationship Nicolai has with SRAM Europe.... I think the RP23 will be a good fit, but from the view reviews, perhaps you dont even need that much pro pedal.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    Samwell - that's what I understood, the original 5.2kg weight was 'sans shock'. If the original weight was with shock and painted, then the new weight minus shock and paint would indeed be 1kg less (DHX is 700g with a 300lb spring, paint is around 200-300g). Thing is, 4.2kg for a DH frame is pretty light. The Intense SOCOM is around 3.8kg and that's phantomweight. Having picked a medium Ion up, I struggle to believe it's 4.2kg - logically you can only assume it's a typing error.
    Think you might be a little out there on the Socom weight. I weighed mine, with shock & all mounting hardware with 150mm dropouts & it was 8.9lbs. Frame was a medium, in raw with a CCDB & 400lb Ti spring. That equates to pretty much 4kg on the nose.

The DB, with spring & hardware was circa 800g when weighed. Socom is around 3.2kg without shock. Which is scary light for a DH bike. But then have you seem how much the back end flexes on one?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    This frame is an icon in the Nicolai stable of frames, hence the fact it is loud as paint job wise.......
    Would be interesting to know how much time goes into a Lambda (or the former M-Pire) compared to a frame with the same purpose, like die Helius ST...

I imagine with the double toptube and settube, multiple gussets a whole lot more, than a Helius.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Testmaen
    Would be interesting to know how much time goes into a Lambda (or the former M-Pire) compared to a frame with the same purpose, like die Helius ST...

I imagine with the double toptube and settube, multiple gussets a whole lot more, than a Helius.
    Would agree there Testmaen for sure....

A very cool different looking bike. It is like the first Audi Quatro rally cars, an Icon....

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    sweet catalog...lots of great pics (like crack for a photo-and-bike addict )

fan of maple syrup
    The Helius AM looks like an awesome, tough AM rig. Just curiously, the catalogue says it's Hammerschmidt compatible, and the first photo in the Eurobike 2008 post here is of a Helius AM with Hammerschmidt. Yet the Helius AM in the catalogue has no ISCG mounts? Can we assume that's an incorrect photo in the catalogue? Or do you specify whether you want the mounts when you order the frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    They come as standard on some frames but are optional on all of them. That's the great thing about Nicolai's almost everything is optional.
    On the Hammerschmidt though, I am not sure get the point of it. Gearboxes are clearly the way forward and the Hammerschmidt would seem to be an 'intermediary evolutionary step'. the only real benefit it seems to offer is that it is retro fittable and available more or less now, unlike gearboxes. Maybe the problem with gearboxes is that they're aren't being made by frame builders, with the ovbvious exception of Nicolai. But as soon as the framebuilders and the gear box manufacturers can work out common standards, the Hammerschmidt will be redundant surely.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Pardon my ignorance, but are those grease ports on the BB shell for the FS bikes? Or just vents for the weldng process?

fan of maple syrup
    But as soon as the framebuilders and the gear box manufacturers can work out common standards, the Hammerschmidt will be redundant surely.
    Agreed, but I think that's a number of years off still. The weight penalty will always draw most people away from g'boxes and back to crankset, cassette and derailleurs since ... well ... they still work. When a gearbox can give a good enough range of gears and weigh nearly as little as the sum total of the components it replaces, then they'll start getting used more often. Bring it on I say.

But the Hammerschmidt (and b-boxx by the looks of it), as an intermediate step, is a pretty good one IMO. Only a hundred or so more grams than 2 ring crankset of similar strength, front der, bashie and chain device - all in the same diameter as a granny. Sounds good to me. We just need more AM bikes with ISCG mounts to cater for it.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    Agreed, but I think that's a number of years off still. The weight penalty will always draw most people away from g'boxes and back to crankset, cassette and derailleurs since ... well ... they still work. When a gearbox can give a good enough range of gears and weigh nearly as little as the sum total of the components it replaces, then they'll start getting used more often. Bring it on I say.

But the Hammerschmidt (and b-boxx by the looks of it), as an intermediate step, is a pretty good one IMO. Only a hundred or so more grams than 2 ring crankset of similar strength, front der, bashie and chain device - all in the same diameter as a granny. Sounds good to me. We just need more AM bikes with ISCG mounts to cater for it.
    You are correct, but from looking at the weights that SRAM have put forward in comparing the HS setup and standard drive train, they have their hands on their old fella, the weights are way off, the extra weight is considerably more than 100 grams...

Am not knocking the HS or B Boxx though.... It is going to buy some time for sure...

The gearbox scenario is not just about the extra weight, where the gearbox is located is a bonus even with more weight, the centre of gravity is sweet, light rear end, totally more or less dish less wheel.......

I cant wait till they are the norm.....

geetee72 - the B Boxx and HS systems allow suspension methods to improve hugely too..

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I might not have understood the HS entirely. Does the system provide more range than just a two/three chainring set up would?

Wharfe good points about suspension design though. Not sure if you read Dirt but they have reviewed in the past a home made bike called the Millyard, which while not perfect as some thing so special that it can under the right circumstances, blow everything else away. One of the key factors that Dirt are citing is the light weight of the rear end since the Millyard uses a BB mounted gearbox - a regular Shimano gear hub as I remember.

Nuclear - I think your points about readiness now is also crucial. It is after all, on the market.

"Its All Good"
    I might not have understood the HS entirely. Does the system provide more range than just a two/three chainring set up would?

Wharfe good points about suspension design though. Not sure if you read Dirt but they have reviewed in the past a home made bike called the Millyard, which while not perfect as some thing so special that it can under the right circumstances, blow everything else away. One of the key factors that Dirt are citing is the light weight of the rear end since the Millyard uses a BB mounted gearbox - a regular Shimano gear hub as I remember.

Nuclear - I think your points about readiness now is also crucial. It is after all, on the market.
    No the HS is really only replacing a dual ring set up...

Yes have watched the Millyard with eagle eyes, it is very very cool...

I know what you mean about the weight, that is what I loved about my TFR, the lightness in the back, the suspension is heaven, the rear wheel is virtually bombproof, the weight is low and in the centre of the bike, it is the ducks nuts...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast