Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    steep fast and loose :)

Just sold my GSX-R. What FR / DH'er ?

thinking of buying a Helius ST in Anthrazitgrau.

do me a favour and help me spec this mutha

for use @ Inners uplift and Ae uplift, as well as the Lecht, now it's confirmed the DH / FR is a go'er

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'd spec 2006/7 888 RC2X forks or current Fox 40's if you can risk them breaking. 819 rims on hope hubs as neither venues are that brutal and need pedal power.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Have you thought about an Ion? They are amazing handling bikes. Forks wise I personally prefer the damping set up in rock shox forks, having tried the Zocchis and Fox forks. The new Boxxer looks utterly amazing and the 09 coil version looks like it weighs as much as the current air version.
    I'm running the new Saint rear mech and works brilliantly and the Forumula The One brakes are just the most powerful, fade resistant brakes I've ever used. In fact, they are the only brakes I've not managed to boil while in the alps.

"Its All Good"
    I agree with geetee, I would go an ION over a Helius ST (nice bikes for sure).... But the ION will blow your socks off.... Would go Hadley hubs on Mavic 823 rims, bombproof in my book... Have had a great run with the Fox 40 fork... The 09 Boxxer Coil sounds pretty bombproof too though.....

But if you get an ION or an Helius ST, make sure you get it in Urban Camo, it is the only colour a Nicolai should be.........LOL
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Totaly agree with the ION is looks awesome and the reviews are great but i guess that camo paint is an aquired taste, i prefer the simple anodized finishes myself but i do think those camp paint jobs are a work of art! Just a bit busy for my liking

http://www.nicolai.net/products/e-frames/e-ion-st.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Wharfe and I are on an Ion 'Love In' It really is a fantastic bike.
    I have a Hadley rear hub on mine and so far so good. I used to have a Chris Bling, but it required more maintenance than a pre-hensile footballers wife! It never stayed tight, no mater how much I tightened its collar and the freehubs are too soft to use a road cassette - you need to have ALL the sprockets on a carrier otherwise the load on the splines is so high it causes the metal to develop grooves. You really need the (even more expensive) stainless steel freehub if you're going to run a road cassette.
    I also run 823s and would caution about how difficult it is to get tyres on and off if you're running them with tubes. Ostensibly it's more or less impossible to run Maxxis DH tubes and tyres on an 823. You end up having to use tyre levers to get the tyre on (unless you are David Banner) and invariably you end up pinching and tearing the tube in the process. I now run them with medium weight tubes, which are just about possible to get on but work fine.
    Of course, if you're running them tubeless then you have no problems at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Metallic BRG with a white rear. It's been posted before but hey!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Drool!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That is very nice, have you a better picture to show the BRG colour

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sure - the colour needs the light to set it off, otherwise it can look almost black.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks

The colour looks very nice on that frame.Like you said on the first picture it does look black.

geetee - it doesn't look too slack..what gear ratio are you using ?
    what's the shock leverage ratio ? stroke and i2i please ?

tia

oh - forgot to say Whafey - urban camo - possibly ... LOL

Jesus i've seen that beast on the DH/FR forum before and it is just sex as far as big bikes are concerned. That paint job and total colour sceme is very well done geetee1972.

I guess to sum it up FKIN AWESOME!

P.S. i meant camo paint jobs not "Camp" LOL!

TLR: ION Spec sheet : http://www.nicolai.net/products/size...n-st-size.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Derekr - stoked to read your comments, thanks man! It's the first time I've really made the effort to get something that was exactly what I wanted to own as well as ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    geetee - it doesn't look too slack..what gear ratio are you using ?
    what's the shock leverage ratio ? stroke and i2i please ?

tia
    the gear ratio is quite low - front ring is 34t while the cassette is 12-25. that's not a very high final gear but to be honest, on UK courses you're almost never topped out and if I am, it's more than fast enough for me!

The set up in terms of geometry is as low as I can get it. The shock eye to eye and stroke on the Ion is 8.75" and 2.75", so the leverage ratio is about 2.9:1 when in the 200mm travel setting. Like most Nics, you can increase the travel to 230mm, but what would require me to have a 700lbs spring, which I don't think you can get easily and certainly not in Titanium. Plus, the bike is ideally designed to run at 200mm.

I've got the forks dropped to the absolute minimum to get the front end as low as possible. I have a lot of mass so the lower it is the better!

geetee = not using a deep cup insertion on that with triples ?

"Its All Good"
    geetee = not using a deep cup insertion on that with triples ?
    TLR - geetee is running the same head set as me, which is the CK Steelset, the cups are very deep in fact... So all good....

Or why not go naked for a colour.......

The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Woooo another VERY sweet ION congrats, i think the Green/White does it for me tho but very very sweet!

aha - steelset.....coolio and the gang then.... thought it was a normal in sotto voce brown ...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    aha - steelset.....coolio and the gang then.... thought it was a normal in sotto voce brown ...
    You should have seen the effort need to get the b'stard in. It broke the shops headset press so that they had to borrow one from a customer. It took two of us to get the thing in, using seat posts over the ends of the arms in order to get enough leverage! That thing is NEVER coming out.

mmmm. how do you therefore replace the bearing(s) when they're shot ?
    doubt it can be done with the headset in situ ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The bike shop said that it was possible to service the bearings with the cups in situ, including replacing them, but that won't be for 10 years.

geetee - seriously - i mangled a normal 1 1/8" chris king headset in less than 3 years.
    the 10 year warranty doesn't actually cover you unless you can prove servicing has taken place.
    best bet is to keep the bearing seal clean, and re-grease the bearing frequently (every 3 months) through the winter season ime.

"Its All Good"
    geetee - seriously - i mangled a normal 1 1/8" chris king headset in less than 3 years.
    the 10 year warranty doesn't actually cover you unless you can prove servicing has taken place.
    best bet is to keep the bearing seal clean, and re-grease the bearing frequently (every 3 months) through the winter season ime.
    Agree with that, especially that S H I T weather ( ) you guys have in the UK, Wales, Scotland.......

But the amount I ride my ION, I will get 10 years easy I reckon....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast