Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Just put the order in for my Ion ST

Ah man how stoked am I? Just put in the order for a new Ion ST. I'm going for a metalic British Racing Green front (on their colour chart it's listed as SandGelb (RAL1002) but that's a mistake) with a bright white + glitter gloss rear end and white graphics.

I went for the large on the advice of Nicolai (I'm just under 6ft), they said the large was the better size for speed whereas the medium would be better suited to jumping etc. I'm putting a PUSH tuned DHX 5 on it with Ti spring, the rest of the build will be as follows:

Boxxer World Cup Air
    823 rims on Chris King hubs - I've since found I am too heavy to run tubelss. No matter how hard I inflate the tyres, I still loose air in the corners and end up pinch flatting, so I will be running tubes.
    X9 gearing
    Saint + e13 LG1 drive
    Burgtec bars, stem and pedals
    Odi Ruffians
    King head set
    Formula The One brakes
    SDG pin and saddle

I'm coming to this from a 3 year old Spesh Demo 8 which has served me well but it's time to retire it and get a 'proper' DH race bike.

Naturally when I get the thing I will post some pics but any comments on the colour combinations in advance would be appreciated. This is likely to be my last new frame for quite some time as the wife has kiddy related plans for next year so spending on bikes will be seriously curtailed. I've gone for these colours as a) I really like them and b) I figure they will stand the test of time well.

Part of me would love to go for dizzy camo or baby blue with red links but I reckon it will feel dated in 5 years time.

Out of interest - which colour scheme would you go for from the following:

Metalic BRG front white rear
    Pearl White with red links and bearing caps
    Black ano with red links and bearing caps
    Red to pear white fade, front to back
    Pastel blue with red links etc?

Good to be a part of the Nicolai crowd!

"Its All Good"
    Hi geetee1972. Not many better years than 72 if I say so myself..... Yeah ha.

You will love this frame, it will have you dribbling constantly. I am 6'3.5 and am on a large also...

You have mentioned a great build. Am looking forward to a decent ride on mine tomorrow.

With Nicolai's available colours, choosing the colour is the most difficult part for me, not at all easy.... The black ano looks very good with red links.... There is some good pictures in the ION ST Build Thread... Take a look...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    geetee1972 - awesome news..

Red to pear white fade is that an option - fades are retro early 90s tastic... that would be my choice.... i wonder if the paint shop could replicate hose amazing Klein Adroit of the 90's? they would be awesome

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I like your initial choice of green and white.

...Although I am a big fan of anodizing, the black would be my second choice for durability.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks guys will stick with the BRG/White - apart from anything else it has the wife's approval and if she approves of the colour, it makes selling the idea to her that much easier! I've also spent a while thinking about whether to go for custom geometry. I kind of fall between two sizes and would like the seat tube of the medium with the length of the large, perhaps shift some of the overall length back a little e.g. 23" top tube, 17.25 stays. I think I will save the money though as it's another 250 to make some fairly minor changes.

mtbr member
    Do you guys have any USA contacts. I'm in Oregon and looking at a UFO to replace my Bottlerocket. I'd lke to see the pix of your Ion when you get it. They look like great bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just heard that my frame has shipped so it should be here the end of the week. Will post some pics as soon as I have them.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    Just heard that my frame has shipped so it should be here the end of the week. Will post some pics as soon as I have them.
    Yeah ha, looking forward to seeing this puppy for sure...... Bring on the photos...

Hangtime - See the specific threads on the Nicolai ION ST builds... Also, in regards to Nicolai for the USA, email Nicolai on usa@nicolai.net The Nicolai team will then furnish you with the needed info to progress towards getting a Nicolai frame once you have sourced the info you need etc....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    OK so here it is! I have to say, the colour combination worked out better than I could have imagined. The metallic British Racing Green is sooooo lush, it's got such depths you can keep looking at it and it sort of draws you in. It's really hard to photograph well though as it is so dark in low light - it can look almost black. But when you get it in the direct sun light, it's just amazing. The contrast with the white rear looks more stark in the photos because to get the colour of the front, the camera has over exposed the picture a little making the white look burnt out.

It was not all good news though - it seems the boys at the factory might have been preocupied with Eurobike as the rear did not come with the glitter gloss I specified and the crud catcher mounts were missing, oh and the frame had been left in dispatch with a UPS tracking number but not actually dispatched for a week!

But, she's here now and WOW!
    The shop fitted most of the kit but I ended up tinkering with the crankset and Chaindevice, which ended up being simpler than I thought. The bike is set up in the 9.5" shock mount but I fully intend to run it as an 8" bike. The shop wasn't actually sure which was which, and indeed, there are no instructions, so if I'm wrong and the UPPER mount is the 8", let me knowI will post the full final spec in the Ion ST set up thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    gibbber gibbber babbble droooolllllll drooooooolllllll

hahahaha fabulous.. nice to see a paint job that no one else has.... really deep and lush.

Nice selection of kit too.. I notice you are London based... where do you ride?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Sweeeet ride!!!

Sorry to hear, that it didn't came "entirely" as ordered!

I'm sure that British-Racing-Green looks even better in natural light. Not without reason this colour is used for decades.

Not that your Boxxer isn't nice, but have you seen the new one presented at Eurobike ... niiice!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/2010RockShoxBoXXer.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Karve - I am actually in Horsham, West Sussex so local rides are the north downs - Pitch and Holmburry Hill, I am not such a fan of Leith Hill. But DH riding is in south Wales, Cwmcarn (I am there quite a bit as I know Darryl who runs Cwmdown quite well) and of course all the Dragon practice days. My intention is to do the races next year. I haven't raced since I was in my late teens so it will be quite an experience (I'm now almost 36). First ride of this beastie will be at Cwmcarn a week on Sunday.

Testmean, those new Boxxers look the nuts and the with the Team coming in at 6.5lbs, assuming the price is similar to the current version, they are going to be a bargain! The fact that they have both high and low speed rebound and compression makes them even more of a deal - no/less need for after market tuning.

"Its All Good"
    geetee - Bike looks stunning, the colour is sick in the pictures, in the flesh it will be even better.... Not good to hear re a few hiccups and items not fully correct...

Yep, there is some dribbling happening over here in NZ over your ION ST, it is the ducks nuts....

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I just soiled myself... That thing is amazing.

Jealous...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

'All over it!'
    That bike is just god damned gorgeous. That green is just the nicest colour I have seen for a while..... The spec looks great and I want one! Congrats on such a beautiful bike buddy...

mtbr member
    Nice Ion !!!!
    Do you the the weight of this beauty ?
    And the upper mount is the 8" !
    Never enough singletracks !

trail fairy

sick bike, love that british racing green friggin awesome color! nice parts specc too!
    congrats..
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

'All over it!'

Too heavy for tubeless???

823 rims on Chris King hubs - I've since found I am too heavy to run tubelss. No matter how hard I inflate the tyres, I still loose air in the corners and end up pinch flatting, so I will be running tubes.
    X9 gearing

Just out of interest, how heavy are you to be told you can't ride tubeless?

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by lornibear
    X9 gearing

Just out of interest, how heavy are you to be told you can't ride tubeless?
    Lorni - I have not had any issues with tubeless on my 823 rims, been all good. Didnt work out at Andorra, to rocky I found.... But ran tubeless in Whistler this year on my ION ST....

But am slightly lighter than you.. You are a hard hitting prop, I am a flimsy winger...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    But DH riding is in south Wales, Cwmcarn (I am there quite a bit as I know Darryl who runs Cwmdown quite well) and of course all the Dragon practice days. My intention is to do the races next year. I haven't raced since I was in my late teens so it will be quite an experience (I'm now almost 36). First ride of this beastie will be at Cwmcarn a week on Sunday.
    Drop me a pm next time you ride Cwm and I''ll try to hook up with you on my UFO ST.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Guys thanks for all the positive comments. It's the first time I've bought a non mass produced bike and I am still reeling a little over how well it turned out. Your comments make the whole experience even better!

Lorni, no one told me I was too heavy, I've just had zero luck getting them to work and it's cost me about 100 in tyres finding out that I don't seem to be able to run them. They may be OK on other courses, but not Cwmcarn, which is quite fast and hardpacked so the cornering forces are high. Probably on looser soil courses they would be fine, but if it doesn't work on one track, I can't be faffed with changing set ups.

Samwell - thanks for the notice about the mount.

Here's one or two more pics just to get the juices flowing - the cats in the background also think the bike is pretty cool!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    OK so I finally got to ride this fabulous steed. I've been away on holiday with the wife all last week but Sunday and Monday were put aside for a south Wales trip on this beast.

So two days riding over two very different courses, the first one hard packed, fast, not very technical but with some reasonably sized jumps and step downs, the second one much steeper, lots of turns over off camber sections, softer more loamy but with some loose rock sections as well.

It took only about three rides to feel relatively comfortable and maybe two more before I was really starting to push the bike. I'm coming to this from a Specialized Demo 8, which is about the same wheelbase (the demo is a third of an inch longer here, but a third of
    an inch shorter in the top tube), but much shorter chain stays, slightly steeper head angle and higher BB. In comparison, the Ion feels much better balanced, it sits into its travel really well encouraging you to press on with more speed. I found the bike corners amazingly, far better than the Demo ever did, which is a little surprising as the overall length is really very similar. But on the Ion, I was carrying far more speed around some very tight corners on the first course, which I know really well, so I know I am carrying
    more speed, it's not just because the bike is different. On the second course, on the steeper turns with catch berms, the rear end effortlessly drifted round, smooth and controlled with the bike wonderfully poised. I was able to use far more body language to get the bike moving around as I wanted it without throwing the weight distribution off, as used to happen with the Demo 8.

The Ion pedals 100% better than the Demo, something else I was surprised at given they share ostensibly the same suspension design, but with the seat up (one of the courses had a half mile ride in to it) the Ion almost felt like my trail bike - it was really quite weird! Pedaling was not something that you needed to do on the second course but there is some on the first and the Ion's ability to pedal well helped carry more speed in crucial sections.

In terms of suspension, this bike score really well in the mid and end stroke, it's not quite as plush in its initial part of the travel but this might have more to do with shock set up than suspension design.

The bike also jumps really well, being very easy to balance in the air. Coming from the Demo 8, which has a lot of your weight shunted towards the back of the bike, you really had to pull up on the front to get the bike to take off right. On the Ion, I was finding I was lofting the wheel too high being more used to this method of jumping. Once I stopped doing this, I found that the bike just took off very naturally.

The final impression that is perhaps the most strong, is just how stiff and accurate this bike is - it is super accurate with its lines, going exactly where you want it to without any hesitation and is so so stiff. For me, this laser guided accuracy and the stiffness of the chassis are the two stand out features and what make the bike such a joy to ride. Overall, I am hugely impressed with the ride and the quality of the finish. The Ion is not cheap when compared to a lot of the competition (about 300 more than a Sunday and 500 more than a 224), but for what you get in terms of customisation, finish and a genuine quality feel to the product, I am more than happy to have paid a premium.

And I didn't even test ride one before I bought it!

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    ... And I didn't even test ride one before I bought it ...
    you do not need to, for a nicolai ... once you spec it correctly to what it is suppose to do then you just get ready for the ride ...

main problem is what frame and colour to get ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    geetee, enjoyed reading your write up.....thanks.

MBN
    mtbr member
    Love the color!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast