mtbr member
    Aug 2013

I've just broken my turner

Hi guys,
    I'm sure this has been asked before, if so can you point in right direction as couldn't find it.

Ive just broken my turner 5 spot frame and am looking at whether to replace with a Nicolai frame. Not sure if the AM is too much bike for me or not.

Ride aggressive XC with small jumps/ drops.

Also can I swap my components over - 140mm talas forks, 140 rp23? Might upgrade to larger fork in the future when I have some more dosh

Thanks all
    Andy

mtbr member
    ac would do you but ideally with a slightly longer fork.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi Dipper, I take it the AM caters more for the free ride market?

Not sure if im getting carried away but want to make sure I get something fast for the downhills and something that I can ride up hill without a hernia

mtbr member
    not really. its a good all rounder although i kind of feel the am is a bit in no mans land now. the ac's gone all slack, 150mm travel and will build a good bit lighter than an am then theres the ion16 for the more hardcore 160mm stuff. AM is still a very good bike. best suited to 160mm 36 type forks
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper View Post
    ac would do you but ideally with a slightly longer fork.
    Word... my Helius AC (earlier build, 2010 model) felt a bit too steep with a 140mm Pike which is taller than the 140mm Talas to start with.

I'd say a 150mm Revelation would be better suited or even a 36 type fork of 150-160mm for current year AC's.

The shock may be a no go, I think. My AC was already a 7.875X2 and you Turner may be that size or 7.5X2 depending on year model. Hoewever, current AC's are 8.5X2.5, IIRC.

Geometry between my AC and the Spot was very close, with the Spot just being longer in the top tube and the AC being a little lower in the BB but not that much. The new AC is slacker at the head tube, I think.
    Check my Site

Axe
    Custom User Title
    AC 650 probably the most future proof? Helius AM is the next weight class to 5-spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Geometry between my AC and the Spot was very close, with the Spot just being longer in the top tube and the AC being a little lower in the BB but not that much. The new AC is slacker at the head tube, I think.
    Is it now? Current 5-spot is probably lower BB (AC is +13mm, so that would be about 13.6", and 5spot listed at 13.5, not sure what nominal wheel diameter. And top tube on Medium AC is 23.5", and for medium 5 spot it is 23.0. 16.4" reach on AC for 15.6 on 5.spot - that is quite a bit longer.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Is it now? Current 5-spot is probably lower BB (AC is +13mm, so that would be about 13.6", and 5spot listed at 13.5, not sure what nominal wheel diameter. And top tube on Medium AC is 23.5", and for medium 5 spot it is 23.0. 16.4" reach on AC for 15.6 on 5.spot - that is quite a bit longer.
    To clarify, I was comparing it to my 2010 AC. Mine is definitively 13.5" at best or a tad lower with 2.25" tyres. My Medium AC is 22.8" (580mm) so a tad shorter.

I remember that when comparing my AC to the current Spot and the Mojo HD (you know, UGI) it came very close to both, being very close to the Turner and the slacker seat angle on the Mojo (72 degrees) was a turn off for me.

But I'm pulling out those numbers from me arse... errr, I mean, from memory. .

Definitively the new AC has a different geometry to mine.

Actually the Turner was the only other bike I reaaaaally liked, but the geometry was so close, that the move wasn't justified. Maybe if I was going carbon, but.... meh, I really can't bother to replace my AC. It has done well in the wide open trails and long downhills of Central Mexico or the tight and flat courses here in the Northern Territory of Oz.

Sorry for the derail...
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the info guys, im now looking at two bikes so any feed back would be good.
    The Helius AC 650b which id stuff new 150-160 forks on and an orange 5.

orange fully kitted up -3200

Helius AC 650b with rock shox monach plus RC3- 2329, forks ~ 800, Wheels 600, headset 100, tyres ~ 80, Total - 3726 (fit existing kit on rest of bike)

Although id get less bike im leaning towards the Helius - just need to find somewhere I can demo one now!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Should have mentioned its an orange rs with performance pack 2 - 30% discount off rrp

mtbr member
    the nic may be a bit dearer but the orange isnt in the same league. id go as far as to say the nic is cheap and the orange expensive for what you get
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I was hoping someone would say that, went to my lbs and saw some beautiful Nic's all anodized up

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

My new ride

Just got my new nicolai helius 650b and thought if better share..... Hopefully I can upload picture.
    Spec
    Rs pike 150
    Cane creak db air cs
    Xt brakes
    Chris king hubs
    Stand arch rims
    Xt chain set
    Sram x9 type 2 rear mech
    Sram direct mount front mech
    Reverb stealth dropper
    Eastern haven bars and stem (50mm)
    Bel air saddleName:  image.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  74.1 KB

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm in love, this bike just makes me smile every time I ride it. So much quicker than my old 5 spot in every way an the ccdb air cs is a work of art! Nicked the setting for my model from nicolai 2013 catalogue....may tweak the settings in time but right now it flies!!

Massive thanks to dipper at Gravity sports, absolute legend thank you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ballas View Post
    I'm in love, this bike just makes me smile every time I ride it. So much quicker than my old 5 spot in every way an the ccdb air cs is a work of art! Nicked the setting for my model from nicolai 2013 catalogue....may tweak the settings in time but right now it flies!!

Massive thanks to dipper at Gravity sports, absolute legend thank you

glad you like it.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That's proper classy, very very nice. May it give you long, faithful and fun service
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Looks brilliant that.