mtbr member
    Aug 2007

I've broken my FR

Well not exactly, I met some friends at the pub last night for a spin around the local hills but noticed that the back end had some play in it. The bolt that holds the back end of the rear shock to the frame was only finger tight so I thought I'd nip it up and be on my way. Unfortunately , I found that turning the head had no effect on the threaded end which is when it became apparent that I;d snapped the bolt cleanly right through them middle. No idea when that happened but I guess it must have been on a rather heavy landing towards the end of my last ride.

Now I need to try and locate a new bolt in time for this weekends gnarl sessions. I'm guessing these are Nicolai specific bolts rather than coming with the Fox DHX 5 shock.

wyrd bi ful rd
    there is a small internal 'bolt/screw' that screws in from the other side ... you will need to loosen that internal screw before you can tighten the 'so called bolt that you think is loose' from the other end ... how do i explain it ... i will try to source a picture for you ...

well that is how it is attached on my helius CC but i think it should be the same for the FR.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaman
    there is a small internal 'bolt/screw' that screws in from the other side ... you will need to loosen that internal screw before you can tighten the 'so called bolt that you think is loose' from the other end ... how do i explain it ... i will try to source a picture for you
    you mean there are 2 bolts, male and female, one from each side?
    Last edited by crisillo; 04-10-2008 at 05:28 AM.

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    You mean small M5x5 bolt? Part #10.
    That is bolt featured in Nicolai pages: umlenkhebel Helius cc/fr de-montage.
    It can be found in shop that has metric bolts.It is used also in electrical engines holding pulleywheel on axle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I think you may be confusing the bolt that I mean. If you look at the exploded diagram from the Nicolai site, the actual bolt that has snapped is not shown.
    Its the one shown here with the arrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    you mean there 2 bolts, male and female, one from each side?
    yep ... ... in 12 words that is it.

Drink...sleep
    Ah, just the bottom shock bolt. Reading your first post, yes, that was actually quite clear . Have you checked the hardware stores? It didn't look like anything special to me when I took it out.

banned
    So you didn't break the frame, as the title would indicate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Managed to source one from a Nicolai dealer (Psyclewerx) in Bristol so will see if I can get it fitted before the weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Well no not quite but I was shocked that the bolt could just snap, If it had bent a bit first I could understand it.

Drink...sleep
    Just a trick to get us to read this

banned
    Yeah, I guess you're right. I have a frayed cable housing, so I'm going to post in the Turner forum how my bike broke. TTYIAB.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yeah, I guess you're right. I have a frayed cable housing, so I'm going to post in the Turner forum how my bike broke. TTYIAB.
    I get your point but and if your cable housing was sold as an integral component of the Turner frame then why not?
    OK I'm being pedantic, but as I said before, this isn't a component I would ever expect to fail and it is supplied from Nicolai not some bike shop or third party like Fox etc.
    Half the reason for posting was to find out if this is a common area of failure and whether I should start carrying one as a spare.
    I'll be racing at Mega avalanche later in the year and this has kind of knocked my confidence a bit in what I thought was a rock solid bike.

wyrd bi ful rd
    look at it from the point that it is only a bolt and not the weld between the bottom tube and bottom bracket etcetc.

things do break and it is just standard probablilty that something will be defective which may escape quality control ... just wondering how would a company do quality control on bolts, nuts and screws ... ...

thats right living legend
    Is this some sort of joke? Shock bolts break ALLLL THE TIME! I've gone through several myself on a Moto-Lite, in the exact same place in fact, but that doesn't matter... shock bolts can, and do break on ANY BIKE!!! It's nothing. Those bolts get over tightned all the time as well, which will also cause it to snap.

That bolt was probably either "over tightened" at some point, or had started to work it's self loose from use. Just remember to check your equipment next time.
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Is this some sort of joke? Shock bolts break ALLLL THE TIME! I've gone through several myself on a Moto-Lite, in the exact same place in fact, but that doesn't matter... shock bolts can, and do break on ANY BIKE!!! It's nothing.
    I agree with this part...also the bolt could have become a bit loose before and then a big hit was enough to damage it....

Those bolts get over tightned all the time as well, which will also cause it to snap.
    but we know that you are not exactly torque wrench friendly, BA

I agree with this part...also the bolt could have become a bit loose before and then a big hit was enough to damage it....

but we know that you are not exactly torque wrench friendly, BA
    This is true... that's why I did not fail to mention it most likely worked itself loose. I realize most people anr't as ham fisted as me.
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

This is true... that's why I did not fail to mention it most likely worked itself loose. I realize most people anr't as ham fisted as me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Is this some sort of joke? Shock bolts break ALLLL THE TIME! I've gone through several myself on a Moto-Lite, in the exact same place in fact, but that doesn't matter... shock bolts can, and do break on ANY BIKE!!! It's nothing. Those bolts get over tightned all the time as well, which will also cause it to snap.

That bolt was probably either "over tightened" at some point, or had started to work it's self loose from use. Just remember to check your equipment next time.

Really? Well that's news to me. Its certainly preferable to have something like the bolt break rather than the frame itself. I just haven't met anyone who'd had that happen to them before.

Live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by mattp94
    Really? Well that's news to me. Its certainly preferable to have something like the bolt break rather than the frame itself. I just haven't met anyone who'd had that happen to them before.

Live and learn.
    Just keep an eye on that/those bolts. Make sure there tight, every so often, and it should be fine. It really shouldn't happen when everything is secure, but there is alway's a tendency to work that bolt loose due to it being a mounting bolt, that is meant to be taken on and off. Usually only people going super huge need worry about it "just happening", but it's good to know should you ever (go huge) you'll likely break that bolt before you break your frame.... but still very unlikely.
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

a tight kick sound
    Dude,
    I am not sure if they are still doing this but, the housing that holds the shock used to be made of aluminum. The shock-bolt actually goes through said housing and bolts up to each side plate.
    Problem comes when there are heavy loads on the aluminum housing. The housing bends and breaks or bends the shock-bolt. I found this out before mines broke. I tried to remove the bolt, it wouldn't come out as it was bent.
    I truely hope they stopped using aluminum for this purpose!

wyrd bi ful rd
    i think there is an even proportion there ... dont know how many bolts i have managed to do a head and thread separation or trying to come up with a new 'round' groove ... and i own a torque wrench ... .... no point owning it and not using it ...

"Its All Good"
    Well that was a relief to read, not a relief relief, but ya know what I mean... The said title had me thinking a breakage of good proportion...

I have broken shock bolts on other bikes, not on the Nicolai yet, but in time may do....

Its all good........
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"