mtbr member
    Jul 2006

ISCG Old or ISCG 05 on Nicolai - which is it?

Fairly self explanatory this one - the frames come with tabs welded onto the BB but they also have an extra mounting adapter bolted to those tabs.

I can't work out what is what here and was wondering if anyone can help clarify the situation.

Are the welded tabs ISCG 05 or ISCG old or indeed, are those tabs niether?
    Based on the answer to the above, what function does the black bracket that is screwed to those tabs play - is this a converter from ISCG 05 to ISCG old or vice versa?

All very confusing but an answer would really help as I want to make sure I have the right chain device before the frame arrives, which should some time in the next 10 days!

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    I believe the tabs welded on the frame are neither.
    The black crescent-shaped plate is the actual ISCG mounting plate. It's ISCG old. At least on my '07 Helius FR it is, and I don't think Nicolai would have switched to ISCG '05 without notice.

I was also wondering what the reason for a bolt-on ISCG plate was. I came to a conclusion that if you strip the threads on the plate you can easily replace it which you can't do with welded tabs. Adds weight and complexity though...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks Smith - that's a great help and it makes sense. My existing 05 LG1 does not seem to fit the crescent shaped plate but I wasn't sure if I should be removing this or not. Perhaps the use of the plate also adds a greater degree of rotation adjustment in addition to the benefits you identified.