mtbr member

ion18 as a replacement for an FR

Who out there has an ion18 as just wondering how they pedal?
    Ive been using my FR as my trail centre bike but as ive sold the dh bike an bought a YT wicked LTD thats going to take over that role.
    Sooo was planning on using the FR as my dh/play/alps bike....... but all these new of shiney new bikes are tempting me towards an ion18, but if the ion is too dh orientated then id prob just stick with the FR (for now).

Id be building it using the build off the FR: Float 180's, DT ex wheels, reverb, CCDB etc.
    Wouldnt want to do massive climbs, just be able to get off the beaten track and away from the uber busy main trails in the alps etc.
    Cheers Steve

mtbr member
    Ion18 is a perfect replacement for the FR. it pedals just as well but handles better and is much the same weight. ccdb wont fit, nor will the seatpost and rear wheel mind you

if you happen to be a short ass give me a shout as ive a customer with a pretty much brand new small one(raw) that he's not using. all his mate have gone to lighter 160 bikes so he fancies changing to an ion16
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    It's 6'3 I think it may be a wee bit too small that! Haha.
    Have they changed the seat tube sizes? To be fair the reverb seems to spent more time off the bike broke than it does on

Can you not convert DT wheels? Are the ions 142?
    Thought the CCDB would be too short but the old dh ions had a few diff shock size shock shuttles so was wondering if I could do something with that.... Prob be easier to bite the bullet and get a CCDB air I guess
    "When the gate drops the ******** stops"

mtbr member
    thought you were a tall lad!

seat tube is the same as the AFr at 30.9. hear you on the reverb. ive had a spate of failures recently. rear wheel is a 150 and iirc the rear shock is a 222
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Bugger! Do you know if you can covert the DT Swiss Ex1750 hubs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Shakey given you already have a DH bike wouldn't the Ion 16 be a better bet? Or maybe even the AM which I still think is the most versatile machine they do.

mtbr member
    Geetee I sold the dh bike and have got a YT wicked ltd which I may run for a year then transfer build to an ion16.
    Hence the FR is acting as my Dh bike but thought Ion18 might be better suited. Don't want a full on dh bike anymore as prefer to have something I can pedal 'off piste' in the alps/finale etc

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yes sorry Shakey I didn't read your original post very well.

I haven't owned an Ion 18 but I did have the original Ion ST for two years and rode that quite extensively, mostly as a DH bike but I also pedaled it around a little when my trail bike was offline.

It's weight meant that that was never more than a burdensome experience along and up, but the saving grace was that it pedaled remarkably well and felt very well mannered. Friends who tried it often said it felt almost like a really big trail bike, not just in terms of pedaling dynamics, but also layout.

Given that the Ion 18 is so close to the ST I'd vouch for the 18 being an excellent big mountain rig with excellent on trail behaviour. Yes it will be heavier than something in carbon, but the physical weight of the bike won't be felt in how it rides.

mtbr member
    Just realised it would prob be cheaper to spec custom geo and ask for hub fit and bigger seat tube than it would to buy a new reverb and wheels!

Distributor
    Seat tube on the longer travel/DH bikes is for strength so you won't be able to downspec that, especially if you're 6'3". I'd be suprised if you can alter the hub spacing either - suspect theres a reason it's used on this frame.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

"Its All Good"
    My riding buddy Momentus has an ION18 and rides it all over the show... Pedals great.... Fantastic bike in the air... He is running a CCDB on it dipper, no issues at all....

Can you explain when you say a CCDB will not fit the ION18

Green Goblin - Ion 18
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    ccdb will fit but not shakeys as his will be a 200mm and the ion takes a 222
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

"Its All Good"
    Sweet dipper, thanks for setting my mind at ease...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

yet another stupid german
    I know 4-5 Ion18 owners who pedal their bikes uphill all of which are extremely happy with the uphill as well as the downhill performance...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ion takes 142 now does it not, don't see why they couldn't use the dropouts as per the Ion16. If not, they seriously need to get their backsides up to date!
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    dipper if the ion is 150 my FR is 135 (isnt it?) do you know if i could convert the DT EX1750 hub?
    the session was around 222 and i sold it with the CCDB on! BUGGER

also cheers for all the feedback guys