Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    A little update:
    The custom swingarm designs in the pictures above have now been completed and this week has seen the preparation of the fixtures for the new BB design. They are now complete and machining of the new BB design is due to take place today, pictures to follow later.
    Once complete, the rest of the week will see tube selection and preparation for the fabrication of the mainframes. There are no special tubes or fixtures required for the mainframe as all the tubes/fixtures are used on various other models. It's a custom mix for this model because of the fork and angles and the stresses they induce but nothing complicated. So in theory the hard part will be finished this week.

4 weeks to go...

Here is a link to a video of Marcel, who has done much of the mechanical detail design on this project, out with the AC29 and an AC650b. It will be interesting for me, and the guys at Nicolai, to test this new Ion alongside these on their home trails...well that's my plan anyway :-)

NICOLAI Maschinenbau GmbH
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    A couple of pictures of the completed BB here. quite a few hours of machining to get to this. Looks great to my sad engineering eyes

Ion15 29 Uncut - Idea, Design, Manufacture to trail  - words & pictures-image-2.jpg

Ion15 29 Uncut - Idea, Design, Manufacture to trail  - words & pictures-image-3.jpg

The front triangle is next.
    Aka chainline...

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    A couple of pictures of the completed BB here. quite a few hours of machining to get to this. Looks great to my sad engineering eyes
    p0rn... pure p0rn...
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The frames have been fabricated now and checked prior to final weld seams being added. Hopefully some pictures to follow....
    I see some of the big manufactureres now showing longer travel, slack(er) than their previous offerings, 29s.

I can't wait to build and ride this now..17th June....Lübbrechtsen...
    Aka chainline...

"Its All Good"
    Dang that BB is a beautiful piece of kit...

Looking forward to seeing this finished, then can hopefully order one.... Bring it...

Stronger 150 mm forks, good to go hard now.... Could retire the Dorado Pro
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Frames on the test bench for geo & QC before final seam welds...wheels not models own

Down tube & top tube diameters looking 'built for the job' could be an optical illusion of the raw finish. I'm still holding out for sub 3.3kg :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ion15 29 Uncut - Idea, Design, Manufacture to trail  - words & pictures-image.jpg  

Ion15 29 Uncut - Idea, Design, Manufacture to trail  - words & pictures-image.jpg  

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've not added any build specs for this yet but here is the plan.

Forks: Initially Fox F34 Float 29 150mm but when the Pike is available (July 7th allegedly) it will replace the Fox. Mainly due to the weight difference. The Fox will most likely then get an Avy damper kit and get used on another bike.

Headset will be a Hope E2 integral

Shock: is a CCDB air LV to try and make best use of the linkage, also the reason for the Pike as the lighter pike offsets the heavier CCDBair compared to my current Fox RP23/F34 combo.

Wheels: my trusty Enve Carbon AMs on CK hubs with CXRAY spokes.

Drivetrain will be a mix at the moment. I do like Shimano kit but am tempted by XX1. i dont like the cost of such a disposable part as the mech but also the possible availability in the event of failure added to the fact CK aren't doing an XX1 free hub yet until testing is complete so sticking with my XX 11-36 cassette, which is lighter, and XT clutch with xtr shifter 1x10. Used with an XX1 170mm crank and 28T/30T chainring running and MRP micro guide but with only the top guide and taco bash.
    If XX1 gets to X0/X9 as suggested so more availability and lower cost mech maybe I'll change unless Shimano respond.
    What I run with is good and very light so little reason to change except for a lower gear.

Seatpost will be a 150mm Reverb stealth but again not available yet so std Reverb for now.

Saddle is my trusty Saevid 1.2 carbon at 76g ;-)

Bars and stem are Easton 35 - 50mm stem with 800mm carbon bar.

I think that's about it. So I won't be able to finish the final spec until mid July but it'll still be good until then :-)
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So latest news is fabrication both of the frames is fully complete. They have also been aligned. The last thing left to do is the preparation of the bearing surfaces, BB, seat tube and head tube. All still on schedule. I only I could get Sram to speed up availability of the 150mm stealth post..

Only one dilemma left now. Graphics..almost decided.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    got my reverb stealth 150 here : ROCKSHOX 2013 REVERB STEALTH 150mm 31.6mm 430mm (Collier Gauche Matchmaker) + Kit de Purge - ALLTRICKS
    Can't wait to see the pictures of your bike the_pilot !
    Never enough singletracks !

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Frames are now finished! Unfortunately for me I have had to delay my trip to Nicolai HQ from next week to mid July due to commitments at home. It could work out ok as we are waiting for the 150mm RS Pike to break ground here in the UK (and specifically in 51mm offset form) and also the 2014 150mm reverb with connectamajig. I'm not too fussed about the latter but its already on order..
    All the other parts are here now, CCDBair, MRP micro etc..Whatever happens with the forks I will be picking up the frames and testing at Nicolai in mid July. Not waiting any longer..

Whilst a shame it would be nice to test it back to back over there in final form rather than interim.

Despite the flood of new longer travel 29ers arriving on the scene in the last few months none quite offer what this Ion does, which. is great for both me and Nicolai I believe.
    Most are shorter travel than the Ion29, run shorter top tubes for their frame size/ST length (this is most definitely a 50mm or shorter stem and wide bar bike, one has too short a chain stay in my opinion to make it (Not sure I thought I'd ever say that about a29er) most aren't slack enough for me. The Ion has a suspension curve designed to work in the gnarr and provide great traction, but we also have a raised pivot in this Ion and it is optimised for a smaller 29er front ring between 28t-32t to give good initial pedalling response and compliance in the travel.
    Added to that all the features added to the new Ion16 are present, PM rear brake, 44/56 ZS head tube for a lower front, stealth routing, 142x12 axle, bigger bearing pivot and seals and the ETK.
    All in all, I'm sure it's going to be a great all round bike and a stunning descender....especially if I can bring it in under 29lbs :-) sorry for the wait guys..
    Aka chainline...

"Its All Good"
    We are all waiting for this bike with intense anticipation.

It is going to be a very refined weapon...... Quite some development from the AC 29er, then the AM 29er now Phils ION15 Custom, whole lotta yeah ha...

Bring it on
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So the weight is in!

Here are some pictures...50g more than my best case scenario so stoked about that.
    RS Pikes are on order and their theoretical weight offsets the CCDBair so estimated weight is still below 29lbs, maybe below 28.5lbs who can say! Really hoping they arrive before the time to pick up the frame.
    Very happy about the weight and how it looks. All the back looks very chunky compared to my current AC even the top and downtubes. It is a bike more intended for that but the fact the weight is so close makes it great.

Nicolai also fabricated a third Ion 16 L (Ion29) for evaluation by them..here is some initial feedback from a couple of weeks riding from Marcel Lauxtermann, who is the mechanical engineer on the project but also races Enduro and does some testing.

"I am riding the bike for about two weeks now and i have to say that bike is f***king fast.
    Never ridden such a fast bike no matter if its on single trails, roots or rocks.
    It is a size large (I am 195cm) with a 620mm TT and a 450mm reach. Running it with a 40mm stem (liking it with a long reach and a more upright position on the uphills). It is a big ship but it maneuvers pretty well through tight corners.
    Because of its long wheelbase it is pretty stable on longer jumps. On smaller jumps with short takeoffs it is difficult to judge the speed and to find the right timing but i got used to it already.
    The grip is amazing and you can maintain speed through corners pretty easy.

I am trying to work out the right Decal scheme now...I'll maybe post some of my ideas..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ion15 29 Uncut - Idea, Design, Manufacture to trail  - words & pictures-image-1.jpg  

Ion15 29 Uncut - Idea, Design, Manufacture to trail  - words & pictures-image-2.jpg  

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    No comments on the weight! I am surprised...maybe I shouldn't be... Is it only me that's excited now..no thoughts on Nicolai testing...
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just a word ....
    Stunning !!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Kind words Cyril, We wouldn't be here now if it wasn't for the work Whafe and you did in the first place with Nicolai, definitely an inspiration.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    ;-)

You inspire me also my new bike is order and he have quite the same plateform !

I will make a new post quickly to introduce it ;-)

mtbr member
    it looks stunning! the linkage, bb area, post mount rear, ion machining on the tt/st brace, eccentric angle adjuster etc. it's easily the most detailed and complete looking nicolai i've set eyes on.

first time ive gone with a raw frame but im glad i did. would have been criminal to cover it in paint!

cant wait
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    @Cyril_88 have you come back to 29er or staying with 650b??
    Aka chainline...

"Its All Good"
    I smell sex n candy.......

Looks Hawt pilot, yeah ha... It does look so refined... Am super stoked to see this whole project near completion.... The work has been awesome.....

To have the ability to build a bike with these capabilities for around 28 lbs, got to be really pleased.....

My raw Nicolai frame was very very cool in the flesh.... Got to have at lease one raw Nicolai frame in life, it is a must have

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    650b ;-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Only 2 weeks to go now. Just waiting a couple of parts, particularly the Pikes. All the graphics have been custom made by Hoshi and delivered to Nicolai. Marcel has been testing the Ion29 he has and has given more feedback. Just makes me want it sooner.

There is a distinct possibility of a picturefest when it arrives!
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Marcel has been testing the Ion29 he has and has given more feedback.
    ... and he said? :P

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    @StanleyJ, in no particular order here are some mini reviews, copyright @MarcelLauxterman at Nicolai!

To put it into context they are also comparing the Ion29 with a proto 650b Ion that is the same dimensions (ETT), ST although not geometry, as the 29, in Enduro races to see which has more advantages, for them I should stress.

For me that isn't too scientific as its down to the rider preferences, style, different tracks etc and of course what you want the bike for...just Enduro racing or also for all day riding etc...but its interesting nevertheless.

Also interesting, if you're me anyway, is I am going to use the 46mm offset Pike now as I did lots of comparisons on the geometry, specifically focussed on trail and mechanical trail calculations between the 26" Ion16 and the Ion29 as specced for me (605mm ETT) The trail figures are within 1mm of each other at their respective HAs. So 66/65deg for the Ion16 26" and 67/66.5deg for the Ion29, the BB height is almost identical (29 has more drop) and the wheelbase is also also near identical...who'd have thought....I never made reference to the original Ion16 26" geo when we worked this 29er version up, coincidence that a key element in steering handling is so close based on my experience/preferences.

So, to mini/short term initial ride impressions from Lubbrechtsen...

"I am riding the bike for about two weeks now and i have to say that bike is f***king fast.
    Never ridden such a fast bike no matter if its on single trails, roots or rocks.
    It is a big ship but it maneuvers pretty well through tight corners. Because of its long wheelbase it is pretty stable on longer jumps. On smaller jumps with short takeoffs it is more difficult to judge the speed and to find the right timing but i got used to it already.
    The grip is amazing and you can maintain speed through corners pretty easy."

"It is definitely the fastest bike i have ever ridden on local trails.
    On fast pedally stages it is so much faster than the 26" bikes i rode in
    the past it is unbelievable. Even in steep rocky terrain i had no
    problems at all.
    The bearings are still as good as new. The Pike and the XX1 parts are
    flawless as well."

Had a couple of problems with the chain recently. That you don't need a
    chainguide with this system (XX1) is a marketing myth.
    We tried it a couple of weeks but the chain kept falling off the
    chainring. Even in the most unspectacular situations (like riding down a
    set of stairs).
    I am running an upper chainguide from E13 now and it solved the problem.

I think its fair to say he likes it, and from the descriptions it's just what I wanted it to be. Lets hope so...
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ok, last post before actually picking up the frames from Nicolai on Wednesday.
    The forks are here, as is everything else for the build. The AC has been stripped ready for the roooooaaaaad trip!

And of course I have weighed everything..not quite as light as I had hoped. The tyres are a bit heavier, the chain device is a bit heavier, (Feedback is its needed) CCDBair is heavier than my previous RP23, although I have kept the RP for long distance stuff, cassette a bit heavier, Reverb a bit heavier....but should be under 30lb anyway with no compromises in any way, everything is very tough. Roll on Wednesday...

Ion15 29 Uncut - Idea, Design, Manufacture to trail  - words & pictures-slide1.jpg
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Ok, last post before actually picking up the frames from Nicolai on Wednesday.
    The forks are here, as is everything else for the build. The AC has been stripped ready for the roooooaaaaad trip!

And of course I have weighed everything..not quite as light as I had hoped. The tyres are a bit heavier, the chain device is a bit heavier, (Feedback is its needed) CCDBair is heavier than my previous RP23, although I have kept the RP for long distance stuff, cassette a bit heavier, Reverb a bit heavier....but should be under 30lb anyway with no compromises in any way, everything is very tough. Roll on Wednesday...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide1.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	815597
    Damnit chainline... that's just giving me the most serious case of new-bike/n+1 itch I've had in a long long time...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast