mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Ion ST geo questions

Im thinking about purchasing an ION st. I emailed Nicolai but never got a reply.
    Can anyone tell me more about the geometry? I have looked on the web listings but I want to know about the adjustable shock mount.
    Can you give me geometry differences if the shock mount is adjustable?
    How low is the BB and how slack is the HA in the lowest settings?
    How high is the BB and how steep is the HA in the highest settings?
    Does the frame use ISCG05?

Ta

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hi there.

The official line is that the shuttle mount is not designed to facilitate changing the geometry but there is nothing to stop you from doing that if you wish. Nicolai's response to this question is that you must perform a collision test before making any changes. You do this by removing the coil (or air) and compressing the suspension fully to ensure that the rear wheel does not collide with the seat tube.

The BB measures up at around 14” in standard trim (565mm A2C Boxxer World Cup fork; 2.5” High Roller).

I couldn’t say what the adjustments to the geometry would be if you changed the shuttle mount position. However, moving the shuttle mount forward would raise the front end, steepening the head angle and lowering the BB. If you moved the shuttle backwards is would do it would achieve the reverse. I can’t see why you would want to do that; it would feel a little pointless as the effects would sort of cancel each other out.

The frame also comes with ICSG03 or ISCG old or even another way, not the ISCG05 tabs but the other ones! It's a very good system though as they actually bolt an adjustable plate onto welded tabs. This plate is what you mount the chain device to and has extra rotation built into the design, which makes fitting a chain device a lot easier.
    Everyone I have heard of running an Ion, including myself, runs it in standard geometry form in the 203mm setting. This includes the chap from Dirt magazine who has been running one for the last few years now and loves it. The bike as it stands is perfectly balanced and handles wonderfully.

Your real question should be what size to go for as the large and medium, where most people end up, are quite different and there is an argument to say that a lot of people could ride either depending on what they wanted the bike to feel like.

The medium comes up relatively short compared to other manufacturers’ mediums, something like 15mm in the TT and wheelbase. If you’re around the 6ft/1.83m mark, give or take a few inches/4cm either way, then a medium would be better for a more compact feel with slightly less high speed stability whereas the large would be longer, slightly less manoeuvrable but more stable at speed (this being the effect of an 25mm in the wheelbase.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for your help. Im not sure how sliding the shuttle forward could steepen the head angle though? Looks to me like it would slacken the H/A and lower the BB?

Im just a shade under 6 foot but I think Im going to need a large given how short the TT is on the med.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yep I think you're right actually, it will slacken and drop rather than steepend and drop. Ignore my remarks.

"Its All Good"
    Klunky - Are you sure to go for a large being just a shade under 6 foot?

I would for sure check this our seriously... I am 6'4", ride a large, well did ride a large when I rode my ION...

A great bike, the faster you go, the better it handles and performs....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I had the same issue and am the same height. I never felt hindered by the size of a large but then again I never compared it to a medium. A large to Whafe would be like a medium to Klumky and I.

The large is still only 23" in the top tube.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I currently ride a med V-10 and the TT on that whilst is a little on the short side is fine.
    the large is only 3mm longer than my current bike so I think that would be nice.
    Not too different but different in the right direction.

Distributor
    The data i have from the factory is
    Der Steuerrohrwinkel /steering angle ist 64,3 Deg bei + 5 mm Tretlagerhöhe/bb heigth
    Der Steuerrohrwinkel / steering angle ist 65,3 Deg bei + 18 mm Tretlagerhöhe/bb heigth
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks Nicolai UK
    Do you have the reach and stack details?
    That would sort me out I think.