mtbr member
    Mar 2010

ION 16 Pinion 650b possible?

This is what I want as my next AM bike with as short a stays as possible -17", and low BB and 65 head angle. With Double Barrel air.
    Will/Can they make it(emailed Nicolai already)?
    What weight could I build it up too?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by No Skid Marks View Post
    This is what I want as my next AM bike with as short a stays as possible -17", and low BB and 65 head angle. With Double Barrel air.
    Will/Can they make it(emailed Nicolai already)?
    What weight could I build it up too?
    From what I read on their site you cannot have the ION16 with a Pinion drive. Read the bottom part of the link. NICOLAI Maschinenbau GmbH

mtbr member
    Go to June 7, 2013 World Cup #1 Fort William. Definitely an ION 16 with a Pinion drive in the pictures. Guess NICOLAI figured out how to make it work, those crazy Germans! Looks amazing!

GATES NICOLAI Team 2013

Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yup it's official crazy Germans made it work now all we need to know if it has 650B wheel capability Cause then all we need to do is save money like crazy cause it will cost crazy money.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

yet another stupid german
    sorry to disappoint you but those pics at mtb-news were commented by a N employee:

"bei dem gezeigten Rahmen handelt es sich um einen Prototypen. Dieser Prototyp dient Pinion der generellen Forschung und Entwicklung.
    In absehbarer Zukunft wird es kein Ion 16 mit Pinionbox geben."

In a nutshell: the shown frame is a prototype made for Pinion to help them with their general R+D. There will be no Ion16 with pinion gearbox in the foreseeable future.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by raschaa View Post
    sorry to disappoint you but those pics at mtb-news were commented by a N employee:

"bei dem gezeigten Rahmen handelt es sich um einen Prototypen. Dieser Prototyp dient Pinion der generellen Forschung und Entwicklung.
    In absehbarer Zukunft wird es kein Ion 16 mit Pinionbox geben."

In a nutshell: the shown frame is a prototype made for Pinion to help them with their general R+D. There will be no Ion16 with pinion gearbox in the foreseeable future.
    That's to bad. But is it possible to mount 650B wheels to the Pinion Helius?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yesss!!! Nicolai is finaly coming with a 650B compatible ION16, OK no Pinion but thats OK with 1x11 coming I'm good.